legal Net Neutrality Has Been Repealed!

NameSilo
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
I just read that...

F.C.C. Repeals Net Neutrality Rules
WASHINGTON — The Federal Communications Commission voted on Thursday to dismantle rules regulating the businesses that connect consumers to the internet, granting broadband companies the power to potentially reshape Americans’ online experiences.

The agency scrapped the so-called net neutrality regulations that prohibited broadband providers from blocking websites or charging for higher-quality service or certain content. The federal government will also no longer regulate high-speed internet delivery as if it were a utility, like phone service.

Full Story: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/14/technology/net-neutrality-repeal-vote.html

How will this change things?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
the door is open for things like this :

ISPs slow down all new business website asking for money, only the big platforms like amazon, .wix have preferential treatment. so how many new companies want pay for this ?....- Next say goodbye to the domain business

so tell me again, we dont need regulation ?

This is absolutely, 100% false. Your scenario was illegal before NN and remains illegal after it's removal.

Last edited:
•••
The most important Utility of Net Neutrality was the principle of 'equal access'... as that is the core principle of a democratic society.

The absence of Net Neutrality will transition the web into a socioeconomic communications caste system.

Comcaste.com anyone? Too late, AT&T owns it.

•••
The most important Utility of Net Neutrality was the principle of 'equal access'... as that is the core principle of a democratic society.

The absence of Net Neutrality will transition the web into a socioeconomic communications caste system.

Comcaste.com anyone? Too late, AT&T owns it.

wasnt like that before 2015, when the repelled part was added.

Nothing is going to change for the worse.

•••
Doesn't really matter, we'll all be dead from tax cuts.

Last edited:
•••
It is certainly funny how a regulation that never had time to really do anything and was around for such a short time is going to cause so much disruption by being put back the way it always was for decades before it.

But this is a New Year, and one of my resolutions is to realize (even if it makes no logical sense to me) - that society has been flipped on it's head and logic is out the door with matters such as NN...

Good luck to all in 2018!

You are correct that it is a reversal of how it was for decades before bit many things have changed around 2010-13. We saw an unprecedented centralization and lack of competition between ISP-s.
Were NN laws perfect? Of course not. At least as a citizen, you have some sort of oversight in a "democracy". Do you have any input what a corporation board decides between closed doors?
Maybe I'm just idealistic.
But do we really want to gamble with the internet?

•••
So here come the AOL's again?

•••
This will make premium domain names more expensive cuz only the best gets on the web now..

hahaha.. (j/k, I don't know jack what's this going to do)

I do not think so, In fact, it's the opposite, many new companies could stop creating because of fear.

the good domains and the policies of these companies have no relationship

Last edited:
•••
I think this will essentially force companies like Apple or Facebook to start offering their own internet to try and maintain control...Instead of paying Comcast or Verizon to access Facebook, people will start paying Facebook to access the internet.

Just uneducated speculation of course...

•••
I guess cnn.com will come to a snails
crawl now... this is going to either be overturned in 3 years, or in court, stupid ruling. Just allows companies to exploit loopholes.

•••
I think this will essentially force companies like Apple or Facebook to start offering their own internet to try and maintain control...Instead of paying Comcast or Verizon to access Facebook, people will start paying Facebook to access the internet.

Just uneducated speculation of course...

I have Google Fiber 500 meters from my house, but it does not arrive yet.

•••
I have Google Fiber 500 meters from my house, but it does not arrive yet.
Give it time. They will. Google Fiber has been quite for too long. They have been waiting for something. My guess is they will be making a huge acquisition sometime soon.

Again, uneducated speculation.

•••
That is ingenuity...
Health laws exist for the preparation of food, but hey, there is this McDonals using palm oil, which is bad for health, but as there is no legislation that prevents this, McDonals makes more money.

And a million other things can be done by someone or a company that could upset you or harm you - but that does not mean 400 pages of a "law" which never passed through congress needs to be enacted.

There are existing laws and litigation to protect you and provide you with a means of protecting yourself. Those avenues should be used first or every single breath you take would be regulated under your logic.

•••
What are you talking about ?

Who supports Net Neutrality?

Google, Yahoo!, Amazon.com, Earthlink, eBay, Intel, Microsoft, Skype, Vonage

Exxxactly!

Yet it is championed to support the small guy. That should seem odd to you, if you were the thinking type...

•••
Where is it written that in the actual situation ?
I'd doubt it is written... I mean come on... Use simple reasoning and deduce. Everyone including companies are self interested - so don't fool yourself into the "better good" mindset. If the big companies support it - they do so thinking it will benefit THEM.

But I imagine it could be somewhere in the 399.5 pages that don't have to do with throttling - which is the only topic discussed. Why does this need to be 400 pages by the way? Couldn't 1 simple page do it? I may could get on board with that.

This argument comes down to people WANT the government to have control of the Internet. Period. That is what they want, and that is all that matters. Talking points are strong right now, substance to their arugment is weak.

•••
I'd doubt it is written... I mean come on... Use simple reasoning and deduce. Everyone including companies are self interested - so don't fool yourself into the "better good" mindset. If the big companies support it - they do so thinking it will benefit THEM.

But I imagine it could be somewhere in the 399.5 pages that don't have to do with throttling - which is the only topic discussed. Why does this need to be 400 pages by the way? Couldn't 1 simple page do it? I may could get on board with that.

This argument comes down to people WANT the government to have control of the Internet. Period. That is what they want, and that is all that matters. Talking points are strong right now, substance to their arugment is weak.

But the government does not have control of the internet, it is simply an intermediation to prevent the interests of the companies and prevail that consumer

•••
Sorry, if you think the Google, Twits and Faceplants control the net, then there is no hope. These are not the people you complain to, they are merely huge platforms for enjoying the net.

Imagined?

Hardly. Trust me, ISP's are the last people you want having control.

You children should read what happened to the Bell Telephone System. Under neutrality there was ONE phone company in the USA.

Bill Gates resigned from CEO of Microsoft, the largest tech company in the world for anti-competitive business practices after the FTC and DOJ sued MS.

There will be problems, some companies will cheat but competitors will take advantage and offer better alternatives.

Last edited:
•••
•••
The internet is the nuclear weapon of business in today's world. They can do more damage and create uprisings within countries through the internet than any weapon.

•••
Net Neutrality as it existed needed to go.

You don't have to believe or trust me... But I mean this even for every single one of you who thinks they want it - you don't. You are better off without it.

I will do my best to stay strong and oppose the FCC's "Net Neutrality" "law" - in the internet and your best interest.

I think the majority of the vitriol about this is politically driven with very little rationale behind it. The people who are politically driven are most likely too blind to realize this - therefore there is no room for true constructive conversation here.

•••
@mr-x... what's so difficult to understand?? You're being stupid for not understanding and being so closed minded... for God's sake.. it's like arguing with a wall... I'm done with this.

Net Neutrality is a concept that gives a level playing field with no favoritism...... doesn't stifle innovation and increases the competition among new businesses and existing ones...

If anything the internet was developed by the US Army.... so to even say gov't should have nothing to do with it is ridiculous to start with.

Gov didn't lay fiber optic cable to my house.

•••
•••
they were just a short time ago, during which time the internet and tech really evolved to a new level

@mr-x
really depends of what kind of change haha. Also I prefer cash lol

Thanks for the laugh.

•••
I agree that it's not because or not because of net-neutrality.. but the reality of the internet a few year ago vs today in terms of importance in people's lives is very different... but that's a whole new topic
It has and will continue to evolve at a faster and faster rate, no doubt.

My main argument is you guys don't need to worry, and IMO Net Neutrality needed to go. It was bloated and written by the big players in the industry - but championed as the bill for the little guy.

In reality - things are changing, there will be stress put on different areas of the internet as it grows, and any problems that arise need to be addressed - intelligently. And problems will arise.

Let's step through the life-cycle of the Internet together, discuss how it can be better, and champion for laws or regulations that are straight forward and solve real problems with the least consequences.

Let this regulation go away, and no worries - there is more to come soon. But, hopefully they will be constructed in a more thoughtful manner and hype and political tensions won't be at a peak. And there can be more transparency in it's debate and passing. We will all be better for it.

•••
It says our current leadership would rather have a free market with innovation than a centralized bureaucracy telling people what they can and can't do on the Internet.

Phone service providers were not covered by "net neutrality" and their is more competition, better service and prices are getting lower.

Federal Trade Commission still enforces the law for ISP just like phone companies.
Lets just wait and see what happens. Of course they will do nothing right away but lets revisit this thread in 3 years and if nothing changed or got better, great. If certain companies are getting blocked and certain others getting "fast lanes" then net neutrality (or something similar) is and was needed. I don't know all the rules and regulation of net neutrality but I don't see treating all internet traffic equal as a bad thing.

Last edited:
•••
Anything this politically charged will have mis-information coming from both sides of the aisle.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back