legal Net Neutrality Has Been Repealed!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
I just read that...

F.C.C. Repeals Net Neutrality Rules
WASHINGTON — The Federal Communications Commission voted on Thursday to dismantle rules regulating the businesses that connect consumers to the internet, granting broadband companies the power to potentially reshape Americans’ online experiences.

The agency scrapped the so-called net neutrality regulations that prohibited broadband providers from blocking websites or charging for higher-quality service or certain content. The federal government will also no longer regulate high-speed internet delivery as if it were a utility, like phone service.

Full Story: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/14/technology/net-neutrality-repeal-vote.html

How will this change things?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
To add: I believe in common sense regulation. I think I've said that a few times now.

Again - pass your bill - where it only does what you want it to - and I won't fight you.

Pass 400 pages of who knows what written by HUGE corporations which should scare you from your logic.... And I will oppose it.

•••
It is directly linked.

Stop obsessing only with Netflix and Google, etc...

If potential throttling and shutting down a website is allowed.. that can curtail free Speech, certain businesses' development and more.

Maybe they should have a mid-way point; if you're traffic surpasses I don't know how many million or billion gigs of bandwidth, then you would have to pay a premium.

But not widesweeping powers over everyone. A very high threshold has to be reached first.

•••
I just cant decide if internet access is so important that it should be a "utility" status like phone service, or if it should be unregulated.

Just seems that it is almost like a utility.

•••
edit: just noticed was posted by someone else in the page before this one

Last edited:
•••
Yeah, this is bad. It will start out in small as the small stuff here and there to get us accustomed to the new way of things.
I fear that in a few years even our perception of what is normal about the net will change.
Was a website slowed for some reason? Yeah, thats totally normal now...

•••
Yeah, this is bad. It will start out in small as the small stuff here and there to get us accustomed to the new way of things.
I fear that in a few years even our perception of what is normal about the net will change.
Was a website slowed for some reason? Yeah, thats totally normal now...
It is certainly funny how a regulation that never had time to really do anything and was around for such a short time is going to cause so much disruption by being put back the way it always was for decades before it.

But this is a New Year, and one of my resolutions is to realize (even if it makes no logical sense to me) - that society has been flipped on it's head and logic is out the door with matters such as NN...

Good luck to all in 2018!

•••
ok so your resolution is to accept what you've been spewing all along anyway... great resolution. So in reality it's an indirect acceptance of yourself. Improvements, baby steps lol

I agree with the good luck to all in 2018 though. Good luck to you too :)

•••
NN or Title 2 is still in effect until the rule is entered into the federal register. Sometime in 2018.

If you're an American and would prefer NN rules, call / write your state and federal representatives. States can pass laws just like the Federal Gov, no matter what Clair McCaskill thinks.

•••
We need another AARON SCWARTZ and look what they did to him. He stopped this the first time in 2013 almost singlehandedly. So terribly sad.

Don't buy into this story of securing enterprise and that this is all a pricing reconfiguration for a differently segmented market. Sure, your phone costs may go down (so you use more) and prices of consumer goods may go down, but cost of living will continue to increase along with the leveling of whatever is left of the class system into the lords and the serfs. This global distribution system of rerouting a cut of everything into the corporate wallet is NOT good for enterprise, not to mention humanity.

What else would we expect with a default to whatever you want the call the opposite of neutrality?

In the US - I'm watching highly skilled white collar jobs go away and corporate fulfillment centers emerging in third world countries, we were bombing in the 1990's. I'm watching "new jobs" springing up with descriptions for middle managers with entry level titles and salaries (from the 1980's). I'm watching six-figure earning baby boomers a step away from homeless shelters and scared to death. And it's worse for the poor, as always.

In the US - I see an increase in scamming, Amazon affiliations, text and email spams, robot calls, popups I can't rid of, and pay-for-content throughways. Definitely notice a slow down and also an acceleration that registers a rigged experience. It's like driving your car on a grid.

Mad Max - unfortunately, is the same association I had.

Last edited:
•••
Google have been installing fibers underground since 2010. (maybe earlier than that)

I knew a few people who worked for companies that was contracted by google to do so.
They have been for sure, but dealing with municipalities forced them to slow down a bit. I have a feeling they will be making a major purchase sometime soon...

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back