IT.COM

Negotiations

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hey Guys,

I've done some manual email outreach to find potential buyers for a few of my geo+keyword domains. I have responses from people who are interested and asking how much. I do have figures in mind for each but those are just pure guesses.

How do you guys know what price to put into the initial email response to these questions? (Knowing the buyer will ultimately counter with a lower figure)

Do you tend to base the initial price off of the buyer's profession and how much they charge their clients? Or off of the population of the city? Perhaps off of the amount of their local competition? Maybe you have a ballpark price in mind for most geo domains of which the client's don't have high value services (ie. plumbing, massage, spa etc..)

Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Pricing depends on the quality.

Geo + Keyword is rather vague. Perhaps going through past sales containing those geo/keyword would be a good place to start.

"Do you tend to base the initial price off of the buyer's profession and how much they charge their clients?"

Never. Be fair. Set a fair price-the wealth of the person/buyer should never determine price. Many do it here, and they defend this practice. Quality of the domain should determine price.

Legal/Finance/Medical/Insurance/etc/etc firms are many a time perceived as "having money"-which in reality is not always true. But if they are after a domain that is not of a high quality, then you should be fair, and charge an amount that is fitting. It's not what they "can afford", it really is about, "what is a fair price for the domain".

•••
Good answer NS. That still leaves me with "what is a fair price for the domain?". I've tried searching on various domain sales sites but it seems most geo+keyword domains are not published since a lot of them are private sales.

Btw. please PM me for the name(s) if you like :)

•••
Rather than thinking about how much you want to put on the domain itself, maybe you should try and cater to the potential buyers. Who is responding to your emails? Maybe you try doing a few Google searches and such on those companies. Maybe they only have 1-2 employees, maybe they have 10-20? Maybe the company earns around 500k/year, or maybe they make 5mill? All of these should be little factors in what you might be able to ask. There are a number of websites out there which provide business details like employee counts, annual revenue...etc.

I think it's safe to say that most end users you reach out to and contact you back are not going to pay high XXXX+ for a domain. You're probably looking at the mid XXX - low XXXX point - it's hard to say without seeing the domain. However, most of the time when you find them and they don't find you, the sale is not going to be thousands of dollars.

Hope this helps.Best of luck!

•••
Thanks for the reply. I've googled the interested people (some are individuals without a company while others are established companies with great looking websites). I'll see if I can find out how much they earn a year etc.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back