NameSilo

Need your opinion - Inbound inquiry from fortune 500 company

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Joshh71390

Top Member
Impact
Hello, so I got an email from Neilson Group today - Inquiring about one of my keyword domains. I mean they basicly control anything you watch on tv, and this seems like a domain which will be a category killer.

Only issue was I was in class and asked for an offer. The man responded a few times and then but a very low xxx range. Do I take the money and run, or do I send somthing crazy back? They made i think 6billion profit last year, am I going to lose the sale if I try to counter?

Or maybe I should speak to a broker?

What do you guys think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If the domain was mine, I'd sell it for $75 000 :D

•••
•••
If a domainer is always quick to sell for close to the offer they will leave a lot of money on the table over time.
This is true, and one should try to negotiate when it seems like it might be worthwhile, but also consider that if a domainer always tries to get "more" to the point of too much and/or above what the buyer is wiling to pay, they can easily have the buyer take all the money from the table.

It's a fine balance, and a $240 profit (I presume reg fee) on a basic domain name is pretty good IMO :)

You need a lot of $250 sales to keep the boat afloat
Depends entirely on the persons circumstances, economy etc, quantity of sales, average profit over all sales.

I think the seller here got a good price and quite possibly wouldn't have gotten more. They'll never know so pointless chasing what-could-have-been ghosts

•••
Lots of companies try to buy domains by having employees use personal emails.

Fortune 500 companies will not use personal email to do company business.
Fortune 500 companies do not like their employees using their company email for personal business.
Fortune 500 companies may use 3rd parties / unknown entities to negotiate on their behalf.

Knowing Nielsen quite well - they would not spend a lot of money on a domain as their entire purpose and value is built purely around their brand.
If this was a real play they would already own stream music, stream movies, and many other stream names. Streaming has been terrible for NMR from a business standpoint. There's no reason EDM would stand out. They don't even build out or redirect tvratings.com etc.

The fact that op spells it Neilson the whole time doesn't make this clear to me that he even was talking to the company. If it was a work title you could very easily figure out the person's role in the company (engineer vs marketing vs legal). That should have been the first step, imho.

That all said - a $50 bump?

I received an email from a VP of Tesla Motors in the past. He contacted me via his business email but he's just trying to buy the domain name for his own use, not for Tesla Motors Inc. We finally completed that deal. :)
I doubt a VP of Tesla follows the same rules as a regular employee from a regular corporation :) And, well done, virtual back slap ???

At first sight, the domain looks as a not worth even the registration fee. However, doing some search I find that EDM is used for Electric Dance Music on Google. So your name is Stream EDM. I even find some results with EDM in the same paragraph with Nielsen:

EDM Music & Dance Songs Chart | Billboard
www.billboard.com/charts/dance-electronic-songs
Billboard
This week's most popular dance/electronic songs, based on radio airplay audience impressions as measured by Nielsen Music, sales data as compiled by ...
Zedd · ‎Calvin Harris · ‎Martin Garrix

This is the danger of over-reliance on Google, imho. You could probably find Nielsen commenting on anything related to media... they are a Media Research company. You could think that they would be interested in LoveSponge.com if you don't understand or over-depend the pure results Google presents you with.

The name itself is not that great the focus of the stream is on the wrong end.. and the ed ends the first word. StreamedM is awkward, imho.

I think if the OP made a profit and is happy then everyone should be happy for them and leave it at that. I personally doubt that the price would be the XX,XXX that everyone assumes a company will pay just because they have money (and they don't have budgets?!).

My only advice is sound advice.

DON'T EVER GO BACK AND SEE WHAT THE SITE ENDED UP AS (unless you can handle disappointment)

•••
second my opinion you made a nice sale as the profit have a great ROI.
Maybe you could have asked something more as they are a big company but I agree with nothing over 1500/2000$ as i do not see so many other buyer for that name.
at least try to counter with 2000$ and see they reply.
If they want it also for a low price i'm sure they don't run away for a 2k counter but it would be possible if you had ask 20000+

•••
•••
Well it is not related to neilson it's related to live stream events.

•••
If it has to do with "dance" then do not let it go cheap.

•••
Offer through email but it has neilson in his title, but you would have to be crazy to put a billion dollar Corp as your job title I don't see how it would possibly help him.

•••
How many words is it? Is it generic? I think that's a starting point for determining worth.

•••
I sent back 2k well see if they respond, or if they are even real, because as someone pointed out and I checked its a gmail not their company email. I really hope not =/...

•••
weve got the fingers crossed!

•••
Provide them BIN sale link.

•••
Okay so i guess to clear it up he said somthing along the lines of it was his work computer and he purchased / he started 200 he went 250 and I just took it / but lets just hope i dont see it come across the weekly sales reports..

•••
•••
You're not risking much to reject a xxx offer, so respond with $5000. That is pocket change for them. They went out of their way to email you so they won't runaway if you counter. Let them know your far apart..Increase their offer or just give them this asking price 5k.

let us know how the deal goes.
He sold it for 250 :xf.rolleyes:

•••
you got a sale that's what matters in the end.

•••
You shouldn't have sold it, now you wont be able to sleep.

•••
The deal has yet to be finalized to the full yet. I told him he can either gift me a payment and wait till I withdraw or cover fees of an acceptable escrow of his choosing. Well see what happens next. He has yet to respond to these.

•••
nothings really official yet. Its all just been over emails.

•••
U guys think i should up the price?

•••
Kind of late at this point, isn't it?

what this poster said ^ ^ ^

•••
•••
•••
i asked him the same thing. it was a whois lookup =) i thought the same thing

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back