IT.COM

Need your advice!

NameSilo
Watch

Domaineri

Established Member
Impact
Hey friends,

I entered the domains world in June 2021. I was very enthusiastic and within a few months, I purchased several hundred domains.
The thing is, I haven't sold a single one. Yes, I know the STR is low, and patience is the 'name of the game' (or at least one of them), but I don't have much time to wait for the big sales. I need to sell some of them, and I don't know where to start.

All of my domains are on Dan and Afternic, and I'm a little worried that I've appraised them too high.
What should I do? Should I try to sell them on GD auctions? Should I sell them on namePros for a lower fixed price? I understood that there is also an option to sell in bulk, but I couldn't find the way to do that.

Any advice will be much appreciated!
Thank you very much!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
post a link to your dan portfolio

•••
post a link to your dan portfolio
I disabled the option "Show other domains you own or promote your own Domain Store."
So I don't have a link :sneaky:

I can enable it and DM you the link...

•••
There"s no 100% clear advice on selling domains you need to try as many platform venues as you can and maybe eventually one or more platforms could workout to your favour

•••
There"s no 100% clear advice on selling domains you need to try as many platform venues as you can and maybe eventually one or more platforms could workout to your favour
Yes, it's ideal, but updating the prices entails a lot of work and opens up room for mistakes (different prices for each marketplace).
But yes, you're right, it will increase the chances, I will try again.

In Mr. Bob's post "What The Domain World Needs", one of the suggestions was: "It would be nice if you could set a buy-it-now price at the registrar level (like we do for nameserver settings) and the price would propagate through all marketplaces and registrars. That way you didn't have to update prices on all networks."
I hope someone is working on it :xf.wink:

•••
Thank you! I appreciate your kind answer, you're absolutely right!
I wrote 2021 by mistake (sorry, saw it only now), I started in June 2022, and bought most of them till September 2022. So we're actually talking about the last 3-6 months.
Still, I read some newbies' stories (not the big success stories but truly newbies) and usually they have 1 sale in the first 6 months or at least 1 person showed interest in one of their domains (and if you have hundreds, it should be definitely higher)
Obviously, renewing hundreds of domains without having 1 sale in the first year is not an option for me, I will have to conclude that my portfolio is definitely wrong and I should leave the domains world.

Of course, ideally. one should hold only domains that justify renewals but it's not what actually happens, no one holds the perfect inventory.
So the question is - when is the right moment to start suspecting that something is off?
When do people use auctions, or sell domains in bulk (xx$)? 3 months before renewal or even sooner? How much can I learn from Dan's view count? Does a high view count with no interest indicate that the appraisal is too high, or it just says it's worth the wait? Does low view count say go for auctions and drop? What do you consider a high views count? When do people decide to use the outbound options? When do they sell in bulk? How should a beginner differentiate between a bad domain and a too-high appraisal, or maybe there is no wrong appraisal for a good domain (if someone wants it he will approach you and start negotiations)?

And thank you for your kind offer, I will DM you a few domains, just need to decide which ones.
You entered in a down market year. 6 months wait is nothing. People hold domains for much longer than that still unsold.

As mentioned there is really no way to advise you without seeing names/prices other than to say it’s completely normal not to sell for a year or more.

Try to sell here, lower your prices or expectations and come renewal time only keep the best ones. Auctions don’t encourage sales if the names are no good. Focus on quality with your future purchases.

•••
You entered in a down market year. 6 months wait is nothing. People hold domains for much longer than that still unsold.

As mentioned there is really no way to advise you without seeing names/prices other than to say it’s completely normal not to sell for a year or more.

Try to sell here, lower your prices or expectations and come renewal time only keep the best ones. Auctions don’t encourage sales if the names are no good. Focus on quality with your future purchases.
Thank you very much Karmaco!

In your experience, how much does pricing affect the chances of selling? I used all the pricing tools to more or less understand the price range of a domain. But in so many posts, professionals disparage these appraisal tools and say that those who use them should get out of this business.

I saw in Dan people who own thousands of domains and price them all at $3600 (for example). This got me wondering, could it be that professionals realize that it's better to set a price that most people are willing to pay (up to $5000) and not bother with pricing?

•••
It’s a learning curve, that’s for sure. I have been buying and trying to sell since Feb 22. I have only sold 2 within the 12 months, making my str average (I had about 170 domains) but the total sales was $60 usd, which covers the renewal of 4 domains 😂

My domains are coming up for renewals and I am dropping heaps of them as I can see that I made bad decisions.

I still make some bad decisions, but I try to look at a domain and how I would develop it if it doesn’t sell. The advice that is contrary to most people is that I buy for myself and what I like. I tried buying what I thought other people would like and they didn’t 😂 at least I’ll hold on to the ones that I am happy spending renewal fees on (as I deem them as hard to replace).

I also look at several price valuation tools and submit to places like squadhelp which all give me an idea about what other people / the machines value.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back