NameSilo

Nasty surprise

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

cabotower

Top Member
Impact
i was surfing through sedo when something caught my eye,one of my domains for sale! and i didn't put it there. have you ever stumbled across one of your domains that was for sale?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Two scenarios:

1. Former owner had it at Sedo and dropped it. This happens all the time. Sedo is often purging listings but it is a whack-a-mole operation.

2. A scammer lists the domains and tries to play the MLS by duping the registrant into selling their domain even though the sale proceeds goes into the Sedo account of the person who listed it there.

It is one of the main reasons that I have long wondered why Sedo is not a registrar. A marketplace that is also powered by a registrar can by definition prevent the most blatant of scams.

Customers who use Epik's free MaxLock service are protected from unauthorized transfer, including from MLS listings that literally can take a domain out of your registrar account.

•••
how about my namesilo "lock"?

•••
update: sedo has locked me out of my account.

•••
•••
i hope that is it.i've been out since i complained last night.

•••
i hope that is it.i've been out since i complained last night.

I alerted Tobias, CEO of Sedo, to this thread. He might be offline for the night but hopefully he can take a look during the European daytime on Thursday. Good people there who I am sure can assess and fix.

•••
Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 4.10.12 PM.png

•••
me too,but it still doesn't take care of my first problem.

•••
Contact Sedo ask them to remove the listings. See Rob's responses.
You only need to prove that you own the domain.

There is nothing to worry about. This happens all the time on Sedo and other marketplaces like Afternic.
I have contacted Sedo to remove dozens of my names, that were listed by previous owners.

Just to add to Rob's possible scenarios, there is also cases where some sellers are dealing with hundreds/thousands of names, easy to list names by mistake. I am sure there is more reasons/scenarios.

Just log in into your namesilo account and confirm that the domain is still there.

•••
i sent in a ticket to ns.as far as they are concerned it is not their problem.they told me to contact sedo,i did but all i got back was a form email saying they would get to my ticket in the order it came in.at ns the dns and lock are unchanged.

•••
i sent in a ticket to ns.as far as they are concerned it is not their problem.they told me to contact sedo,i did but all i got back was a form email saying they would get to my ticket in the order it came in.at ns the dns and lock are unchanged.

Don't hold your breath, if sedo could actually hold on to their employees this probably wouldn't be an issue.
Sedo runs on bots.

•••
others had good things to say about sedo

•••
I can say good things also, I've had some great sales there and purchased great domains. That doesn't distract from the fact that they can't hold down a staff.

•••
The MLS integrations are somewhat vulnerable to exploitation. Here are the two main exploits:

- Someone lists their own garbage domain at Sedo for a high price and buys it at a registrar with a stolen credit card. By the time the registrar gets the chargeback, Sedo has often paid out the seller who listed his own inventory. The registrar who sold that MLS domain gets left holding the drippy bag. We are wise to this game now. That said, newer MLS integration partners will invariably get played.

- Someone will add a lot of names to their Sedo account that they don't own hoping that some of them will be on MLS somewhere and not locked down. Sedo sells the domain and the registrant quietly sees their domain leave but gets no money. To address this we promptly follow up when a Sedo MLS sales occurs to make sure it was indeed authorized.

The MLS system for domains is still a good idea for people who actively manage their portfolio and submit their domains themselves at Sedo and Afternic. Other than for selling low-end crap names, I am personally no longer a fan of Buy-Now but prefer Make Offer. The MLS partners prefer Buy-Now. If you are an active seller that reads his email, Make Offer will make you more money in the long run.

As for Sedo, their core management team has been quite steady -- familiar faces and nice people. I have been to their HQ. I did email with Tobias and he reply within hours during the late evening CET.

118550_c7bcf81117f6e9d3dfe1d724c63ee33f.png

Sedo Phone International: (+49) 221 / 340 30 - 230
Sedo Email: [email protected]

Give them 24 hours to sort it out.

•••
•••
Its so sad to read this, This could happen to anyone and it should be fixed Asap instead of locking @cabotower out of his account. I hope this issue gets resolved just keep calling and emailing sedo till you get a satisfactory resolution.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back