Domain Empire

Nascar ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
There are, at least, a few NP members that have domain names using NASCAR as part of the base term. In a current appraisal thread, NASCARforum.com, NASCARbar.com and VirtualNASCAR.com have all come up.
Relative to TM issues, there are two levels I'd like to address:
1) Legal- What is the letter of the law as it pertains to using NASCAR as part of a domain name for a website?
2) NASCAR's stance- what is the actual NASCAR position and their enforcement practices regarding "NASCAR" usage. I went back to an old thread as I recalled that one member, JohnN, was using the term and appeared to have NASCAR's blessing: http://www.namepros.com/showthread.php?t=16070&highlight=nascar
Comments? Experience?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I haven't actually had a Name with "Nascar" in it - But have had several "Driver" sites in the past. It took me forever to contact anyone within their individual companies that actually knew or would say Anything. - The one that answered somewhat Said that the individual Driver didn't mind the typical fansites etc ... - But still referred me straight back to "Nascar" as they are all contractually bound to them. It seemed from the Driver(s) POV - as long as you only used licensed material on your site , it was OK.

I don't really find much on their affiliate site though -

http://store.nascar.com/affiliate/index.jsp

•••
so what are u saying? if u use nascar in ur domain u will get sued?

•••
Mike_Wiseman said:
so what are u saying? if u use nascar in ur domain u will get sued?

That's a toughy. It's a "maybe" type of thing.

A. They like your site = probably won't care
B. They don't like your site = They will try to muscle you into closing down
B1. You can easily back down
B2. You can put up a fite and may very well win (but at $$ expense)

I don't recall the actual site and/or owner, but I recently read somewhere (sorry brain has escaped me), where a man had a site devoted to an NFL team and/or it's owner. It had the Onwer/Team's name in the URL. He was asked to remove it because it was a "sucks" type of site. He used the same laws that Larry Flynt used which were the parody laws of the 1st ammendment. All in all, it came down to: he had to stop using the teams colors and a "version" of the teams mascot, but he was able to keep the site... after a long battle.

So, you may be able to keep the site... if you're willing to put up the fight.

I will see if I can find the above mentioned article. If anyone knows of the article to which I am referring, please feel free to step in.

•••
There are many instances like this.. change the names, but the story is the same.. avoid TM issues or face potential losses.

EricH said:
I will see if I can find the above mentioned article. If anyone knows of the article to which I am referring, please feel free to step in.

•••
I don't really find much on their affiliate site though -
The affiliate angle is interesting. Will have to look into it. Working with, (when the option is avail), would always be preferrable to working against, (or around).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back