IT.COM

Namesilo. Recommended or not?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Marc Riccio

Established Member
Impact
Cheaper than most, looks pretty straightforward... Easy to buy? Easy to sell?

Buying 10 names in the next few days. Am looking for somewhere to buy/sell these within the next few months.

Was planning to go with Godaddy, but not enamored with 2 year payment. Namesilo is $8.99

Only want to use 1 registrar.

Please advise, thanks

M

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I would highly recommend NameSilo. I currently have about 150 domains there. I've never had any issues with them and their support is always fast and friendly.

Last edited:
•••
NameSilo is a great registrar. Everything is easy with them. I use their services all the time, but still prefer to have most of my domains at GoDaddy because most end-users already have a GoDaddy account or at least know the company, which makes domain flipping easier.

By the way, what do you mean by "not enamored with 2 year payment"? You can register names for only one year at GoDaddy if you choose.

•••
It is my favorite registrar: fair prices, fast transactions and a friendly interface with everything you need.

•••
Namesilo and OnlineNIC are awesome alternatives to GD.

•••
Highly recommended. Reasonable prices and great customer service.

•••
One of my biggest pet peeves is being spammed from 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM from domain registrars with irrelevant add on services and gTLD offers.

Namesilo will send you transactional emails only, which would almost be worth paying GD prices. Fortunately, Namesilo does pricing better, too!

•••
One of my biggest pet peeves is being spammed from 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM from domain registrars with irrelevant add on services and gTLD offers.

Namesilo will send you transactional emails only, which would almost be worth paying GD prices. Fortunately, Namesilo does pricing better, too!

True. Plus the free privacy prevents the usual external spam.

•••
•••
I moving my names from OLN to Name Silo. I feel that my names are more secure with Name Silo.

•••
Pricing is good if you can't negotiate with other registrars. Their staff are professional and friendly. UI is a big mess imo, looks like it was made around 1998 or so.

•••
I moving my names from OLN to Name Silo. I feel that my names are more secure with Name Silo.

Interesting logic. OnlineNIC is an industry veteran, accredited before GD even existed.

I have the exact opposite attitude about Namesilo vs. OnlineNIC.

For curiousity's sake, what would make you feel more secure at Namesilo?

•••
Another vouch for NameSilo, I moved almost all of my domains to namesilo from other domain providers since 2015, price is good and support is nice, free whois protection is great bonus.

•••
Thanks everyone - appreciate all of the positive feedback thus far :)

@Marc Riccio please feel free to email us at [email protected] if we can be of any assistance.

•••
Interesting logic. OnlineNIC is an industry veteran, accredited before GD even existed.

I have the exact opposite attitude about Namesilo vs. OnlineNIC.

For curiousity's sake, what would make you feel more secure at Namesilo?
The support is pretty bad, and as I have posted elsewhere it took me 6 months to get back my OilDrum.com name. I lost several others which I felt were quite valuable. I had a major problem as a reseller when they were blocking transfers several years ago.

NS is a few cents more expensive ( I have a platinum account with OLN), but I feel their security is much more solid. I've never bothered with privacy, but as it's free with NS, I started to use it. I wish I'd done this years ago. Most of my sales have come from email contact taken from the whois, so I'm aware that I need to set up alternative contact methods, and I'm in the process of creating several of these at the moment. I like the email alerts from NS as well. it does seem to result in quite a few emails as I tend to be a bit active, but it keeps me informed as to what is going on with my account.

•••
Decision made.... NameSilo it is...

Thanks

•••
@namesilo - how many names do I need to transfer to you to get a bit of extra discount?

•••
@namesilo - how many names do I need to transfer to you to get a bit of extra discount?

Anybody can avail of our Discount Program to save on all registrations and renewals - the more domains you have, the higher the discount:

https://www.namesilo.com/Support/Discount-Program

If you are asking about a large number of domains to transfer, we do sometimes offer a small additional discount for transfer orders over 500 domains. It is typically not much of a discount since our pricing, especially transfer pricing, is already so low, but we have offered small discounts in the past. Please email [email protected] including the number of domains you would like to transfer, the TLDs that would be part of the order, and the method of payment you would like to use (credit/debit card, PayPal, Skrill, Bitcoin, Dwolla, AliPay or wire transfer) and we can then reply with a discount we can offer, if any.

Thanks for the consideration!

•••
Thanks for the quick reply. They will all be .coms, and I'm already in your discount programme. I'm trying to keep my portfolio at fewer than 300 names, so I probably won't be eligible for any further discount. I did join your affiliate programme as well. I couldn't see a way to add an affiliate link to names offered for sale in your market place - is there a way to do this?

Is there any prospect of .gold name renewals coming down in price. I'm thinking of getting rid of my english.gold name if renewals are staying above $70.

•••
Friendly interface, great support etc

•••
Thanks for the quick reply. They will all be .coms, and I'm already in your discount programme. I'm trying to keep my portfolio at fewer than 300 names, so I probably won't be eligible for any further discount. I did join your affiliate programme as well. I couldn't see a way to add an affiliate link to names offered for sale in your market place - is there a way to do this?

Is there any prospect of .gold name renewals coming down in price. I'm thinking of getting rid of my english.gold name if renewals are staying above $70.

You should be able to link to any page on our site passing your Affiliate ID in the URL. For example, if your affiliate ID was "kuffy", you could link to our home page via:

https://www.namesilo.com/?rid=kuffy

Regarding .gold, sorry, but we have not heard anything from Donuts (the registry for the .gold TLD) regarding lowering of renewal prices.

•••
•••
Funny as it may sound, as a newbie, I knew namesilo before GD:xf.smile:. So I'm more used to their easy to use interface.

•••
Namesilo will send you transactional emails only, which would almost be worth paying GD prices.

Namesilo also allows you to explicitly set an email to catch your WHOIS contact messages, which is nice. yourgmail+namesilobulk @ gmail.com would be an example for gmail where you could filter those messages into their own folder.

All of you are mentioning registering domains, but what about the sell side? Is Namesilo's Afternic integration enough to make up for leaving Godaddy and the name recognition of their brand?

Last edited:
•••
Not recommended: @namesilo (33 day domain renewal grace period)

Recommended:
@Dynadot (40 day domain renewal grace period)

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back