NamesCon 2020 Auction will be unsuccessful in that way

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Al Marri

Alphabet.companyTop Member
Impact
Hello everyone

in that way they will be unsuccessful

On Nov 23, 2019 i did submission 65 of my domain names to the NamesCon 2020 Auction .

This comparison between 8 domain names :
upload_2020-1-16_10-27-14.png

Those my 65 domain names :
  1. B.Company
  2. F.Company
  3. H.Company
  4. I.Company
  5. L.Company
  6. M.Company
  7. O.Company
  8. Q.Company
  9. S.Company
  10. V.Company
  11. W.Company
  12. Y.Company
  13. Z.Company
  14. DD.Company
  15. FF.Company
  16. HH.Company
  17. II.Company
  18. MM.Company
  19. PP.Company
  20. SS.Company
  21. Ad.Company
  22. TV.Company
  23. EV.Company
  24. Holding.Company
  25. Private.Company
  26. Group.Company
  27. General.Company
  28. Worldwide.Company
  29. Conglomerate.Company
  30. Car.Company
  31. Motor.Company
  32. Automotive.Company
  33. Aircraft.Company
  34. Helicopter.Company
  35. Telecom.Company
  36. Phone.Company
  37. Watch.Company
  38. Computer.Company
  39. System.Company
  40. Design.Company
  41. Mail.Company
  42. Electronic.Company
  43. Currency.Company
  44. Card.Company
  45. Business.Company
  46. Billionaire.Company
  47. Commercial.Company
  48. Investor.Company
  49. Broker.Company
  50. Construction.Company
  51. Estate.Company
  52. Taxi.Company
  53. Marketing.Company
  54. Candy.Company
  55. Energy.Company
  56. Petrol.Company
  57. Gold.Company
  58. Cigar.Company
  59. Cigarette.Company
  60. Cosmetic.Company
  61. Courier.Company
  62. Media.Company
  63. Weapon.Company
  64. Coffee.Company
  65. Tea.Company

Those some of domain names they allow to list it !!!:

1. kinky.biz
  2. election.xyz
  3. surveys.xyz
  4. 01591.com
  5. 03856.com
  6. 03857.com
  7. 04706.com
  8. 04826.com
  9. 05781.com
  10. 05857.com
  11. 06164.com
  12. 4962.com
  13. ddd.nyc
  14. realestate.nyc
  15. 7864.com
  16. confidential.info
  17. kazakhstan.info
  18. beachfront.property
  19. sterlingsilverbracelets.com
  20. networkingcertications.com
  21. immigrationservice.com
  22. whatsmyipaddress.com
  23. antivirussoftware.com
  24. floridagrapefruit.com
  25. interiordecorators.com
  26. internetcomputer.com
  27. cannabistechnology.com
  28. soundproduction.com
  29. anniversaryrings.com
  30. downtimemonitoring.com
  31. brandoptimization.com
  32. marijuanasupplies.com
  33. internetbroadcasting.com

So i don't recommend people work with them this will be my last time .

No Justice

Done .

Al marri

Attachments

• upload_2020-1-16_10-25-29.png
    upload_2020-1-16_10-25-29.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 72
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You priced ur domains millions based on google owning some ".company" domain....But Realistically the price of 1 letter ".company" domains are around 3000-5000 usd...Now when u decide to come back to earth sooner or later you may have some sales around that price range..till then enjoy ur stay on Mars.

Having said that, we are in no denial that you have a nice portfolio of ".company" domains, if you dont want to sell for a reasonable price range in 4 figures, then wait until one day it starts trending then u might have a 5-6 figure sales...would be a very long wait tho, might as well save it for the next gen.

•••
ok, so network solutions is saying its popular. Maybe by number of registrations?

For an auction and for end user sales, .com would win, so I can see why they chose the .com names over .company.

If you look on namebio.com there are only 24 .company reported sales since 2014, some of those are reseller sales (ex. i.company). If you compare to .com that's is likely a fraction of a percent of the reported .com sales.

No doubt there is some value in .company names, but at a lower price point then .com and less number of end users interested. In an auction setting, especially with a reserve price, I don't see .company doing well, so namescon made the right decision to go with .com as there is more of a buyer pool.

Last edited:
•••
i think it will be a success,

the more dot com, the better

Samer

Last edited:
•••
1. You didn't mention the reserve prices you requested so there is no point in even discussing if it's fair or not without that information.
2. The only way I could see them accepted is if they had no reserve or $xxx. In the current market, on an investor's auction, your best names could fetch maybe $2,000-$3,000. You have the right to price your domains at whatever price level you want but realistically, car.company for example, wouldn't fetch more than $2k in the namescon auction. Mycar.com is magnitudes better and more valuable than car.company for the average investor.

To be fair, if you submitted with no reserve they should've accepted some domains like i.company, car.company.

At this point, .company doesn't have any special value, it's no.43 in terms of registrations and the value lies in the combination and not on the keyword of the left side. If at some point .company rivaled .com in terms of enduser popularity and registrations your pricing would make sense but that's not gonna happen.

•••
@Almarri.Company has some great combinations. Some of those deserve a chance to be tested by the market. Let the market decide if NewG's are worthy.

What's it going to hurt?

Unfortunately, this is a loss to the free market, to the bidders, more than a loss to @Almarri.Company.

Hopefully, those that decide will reconsider and allow for some of these NewG's to be submitted, to see how the bidders feel. Until then, nobody knows.

Last edited:
•••
@Almarri.Company has some great combinations. Some of those deserve a chance to be tested by the market. Let the market decide if NewG's are worthy.

What's it going to hurt?

Unfortunately, this is a loss to the free market, to the bidders, more than a loss to @Almarri.Company.

Hopefully, those that decide will reconsider and allow for some of these NewG's to be submitted, to see how the bidders feel. Until then, nobody knows.

Bro, he asked for an insane reserve price. He even said they offered to auction his names last year, but he refused without the reserve.

•••

What's it going to hurt?

How will the free market judge when there is a 5-figure(or higher) reserve on a name like car.company?
I agree that more ngtlds could have been in the namescon auction but it's all about quality, renewal cost and reserve.

What would help the ngtld market and provide more visibility is godaddy auctioning off expired ngtlds. That would create a point of reference for most investors that currently wouldn't even consider ngtlds as an investment option. In 2019, 2/3 of reported .com sales on namebio were expired GD auctions.

•••
How will the free market judge when there is a 5-figure(or higher) reserve on a name like car.company?
I agree that more ngtlds could have been in the namescon auction but it's all about quality, renewal cost and reserve.

What would help the ngtld market and provide more visibility is godaddy auctioning off expired ngtlds. That would create a point of reference for most investors that currently wouldn't even consider ngtlds as an investment option. In 2019, 2/3 of reported .com sales on namebio were expired GD auctions.
I didn't see where you got that reserve price, but it wouldn't matter. There has been multiple six figure sales in the past with NewG's.

I am not making a case against .com, I am simply stating that if NewG's are not included, how can we even set a baseline for what the reserves should be? The waters are untested. The baseline has not been established.

•••
Great thread. I like the added insight to the selection process posted by @Jothan Frakes .

Thanks.

I am not making a case against .com, I am simply stating that if NewG's are not included, how can we even set a baseline for what the reserves should be? The waters are untested. The baseline has not been established.

I don't think the reserve matters for new new TLDs if they're good names. Give them a $100 reserve for all I care. If there's demand there will be bids.

So @Almarri.Company what were your reserves if you care to share?

•••
I didn't see where you got that reserve price, but it wouldn't matter. There has been multiple six figure sales in the past with NewG's.

It's true, I don't know what the reserve was and as I stated in my first post, it makes no sense to discuss this without knowing that but from what I remember, asking prices are in the millions so it makes sense the reserve to have been at least 5-figures.

In any case, we don't know how many ngtld submissions were made that satisfied the 3 most important factors(quality, reserve, renewal) so we can't judge if namescon made a fair selection. If you look at past auctions you'll see great names selling for very low so I think that's one factor that more investors didn't submit their names. For example, last year, one of the top sales, rental.property sold for $1,100 which is extremely low if we compare it to what rentalproperty.com would have sold for in the same auction.

•••
Just called Namescon and they said they will promote .Company in their auction starting 2029,

•••
.Co is a considerably better extension than .Company. .Com is considerably better than .Co :)

•••
I think .company is only good for companies that have "company" as part of their name/branding
i.e TheTshirt.company or if you use company as the word of association with another i.e enjoy your .company etc

Good luck

•••
Do you guys remember a few years ago Wine.Club sold for $140K, the next year I believe wineclub.com was in the auction, and it didn't meet reserve, I think it reached in the $70K, and didn't hit it's reserve.

The person who bought wine.club has done nothing with it for years, and I guess they haven't got that magic offer either. Wine.Club was a registry sale.

Also in regards to OP topic, Namescon auction has stated they do not want any premium renewal gtld's in the auction, so some of the OP's submissions would be disqualified. You have to take into account, there are a lot of submissions, and only a % can be accepted, I don't think these are top tier, I have many single letter grandfathered low renewal single letter gtld's, they don't sell thru like you think. You basically have to hit a homerun with one, to pay for them all, and the annual carrying costs.

You have to think who is your target market in the room, is Frank going to pay a premium price for a gtld, when he has unlimited amounts on his own extension. I can't get to excited about these names in an audience of some of the others, if this person is asking 5 figures, there is so much better value to be had. Why corner yourself with a GTLD at a premium price, .company is a longer extension, and sometimes plain generics are very hard to develop. I mean who is the target market for Car.Company? Tesla? I can't see anyone paying 5,6, or the 7 figures the person advertises on namepros for.

You have to be realistic, sure stupid buys happen from time, to time. It is more rare in a room of educated investors, I believe last year the gtld's did not fare to well.

•••
:)
Great thread. I like the added insight to the selection process posted by @Jothan Frakes .

Thanks.

I don't think the reserve matters for new new TLDs if they're good names. Give them a $100 reserve for all I care. If there's demand there will be bids.

So @Almarri.Company what were your reserves if you care to share?

So if i already rejected some offers $xx,xxx , $xxx,xxx before , so you want me list that name with reserve $x,xx or $x,xxx or no reserve :)

Imagine they ask me in NamesCon Europe 2019 in the last 24 hr to add coffee.company with out reserve !!! .
They think people are stupid :)

Last edited:
•••

So if i already rejected some offers $xx,xxx , $xxx,xxx before , so you want me list that name with reserve $x,xx or $x,xxx or no reserve :)

Imagine they ask me in NamesCon Europe 2019 in the last 24 hr to add coffee.company with out reserve !!! .

I don't think you should take that personally. I think NamesCon is an equal opportunity abuser. They are running an auction. They want to make sales. I don't suppose they would know that you had already turned down $xx,xxx or $xxx,xxx for some of your domains. I wouldn't post a domain for auction without a reserve price at NamesCon looking at their 2019 results. Which were quite poor, IMHO. Although I suspect the reserve prices you are/were asking are too high. IMHO :)

Last edited:
•••
Your domains are not even close to as valuable as the ones you compared them with....especially in terms of liquidity and the overall global mind-share of the extensions they represent.

I think you need to step out of the box you're in with .company and try and learn from this experience. I'm not saying your names are bad, but you need to come to terms with the actual dynamics of the domain aftermarket and what constitutes value. Let this experience be a lesson that you can learn from, hopefully it will prompt you to start participating in the aftermarket because until you start actively buying domains that can be traded and resold at wholesale value to other investors, you will continue to be at whits with everyone else when it comes to the value of your domains.

The problem here is not Namescon, it's your overall lack of understanding of the market.

•••
Insult to injury turning down 6 figure offers on a .company name is absurd, namescon less auction commission would be a waste of time, something doesn’t add up here.

•••

I don't believe you.

Last edited:
•••

Next time set ur BIN at 8-9 figures, then u can reject the 7 figures as well...But in all seriousness, I would love to see u sell one of them in 6 figures and prove everyone wrong with proof instead of just making claims without proofs :)

•••

Keep in mind namescon is a reseller market. If you had xx,xxx offers, don't even expect those kind of offers there.

If you pick this venue to sell, get your expectations right.

It's about establishing a baseline. Submit a couple with low x,xxx reserve in 2020, sell some, generate sales data, go for the big win in 2021.

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back