NameSilo

Names randomly going "In Review" at Afternic

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I have my names at Afternic. Every once in a while a name will go into "In Review" status, and then the sales lander turns into the "This name may be for sale...", rather than the BIN I want. Sometimes it resolves itself and sometimes I have to have my Afternic representative fix it. But today I woke up to find 17 names all suddenly showing as "In Review." These are all just normal .com names that have been in Afternic for anywhere from 2-5 months already. No TM issues, just good names. If they are not out of that status by tomorrow I will have to contact my Afternic rep to have them taken out of Review.

Questions:

1. If you have your names at Afternic, does this happen to you?
2. Do you know why this would happen?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes, its happening regularly now a days. Sometimes it happens if you update the price and sometimes they just go in review randomly. And if we don't login, we can't even know it has happened. I manually then delete all names and re add them and then they are listed back normally but this way the added date resets which is not good for the name and it's hassle as well. Afternic should do something about this review thing.

•••
Yes, this definitely happens to me. Sometimes it seems purely random. Right now I have a batch that have gone to "in review" status that are right at or beyond 60 days age when they should be Fast Transfer eligible/active. In the past these "in review" names would show domain listing status as "compliance check" in GoDaddy Domain Manager. Today the status in GoDaddy just says "Not Available" but the names in this status were registered on May 21 and May 22.

•••
Happens all the time for me.
I end up having to email support to resolve the issue.

There should be an automated fix available for portfolio owners to avoid manually emailing support.

•••
1. If you have your names at Afternic, does this happen to you?
2. Do you know why this would happen?
1. Yes
2. No

I mean there are cases where review reason is known (e.g. change in registrar), or other where a price change on a FT-enabled name might trigger it, but many now just seem, as you say, random. A name with no change in pricing or registration that has been listed for months, suddenly goes into review. It doesn't happen to me many times, but I think more than in past.

I have my own question. A month or so ago, both .vc domain names I own went into review, even though they had been listed for months or probably years, and no change of registrar, price, etc. I waited a couple of weeks, still did not go out of review, so contacted support, who did move them out of review. I wondered if others with the extension saw something similar? It would seem too big a coincidence that both of mine would at same time, and wonder if those with more .vc saw them all go into review.

Perhaps @James Iles can suggest what is happening (or if not at least draw it to GD/Afternic attention).

-Bob

•••
It happens to my domain names a lot, also.

And godaddy team plays the ostrich about this critical issue.

•••
•••
Wow, it sounds like just about everyone has this issue. Think about all the wasted manpower for this. First off all, we have to monitor Afternic on a daily basis looking for these (and other Afternic issues I have, like BIN pages not always showing) and the afternic team has to field emails and calls from us and then remove the names from Review. An incredible amount of wasted time and energy.

•••
It happens very randomly. Hope they can fix this so people don't need to waste time always checking their in review domains.

•••
I've posted about this before. But Afternic always has issues whether that's template issues, ssl issues, redirection issues, pending review for no reason, etc... I use their MLS along with Sedo but I never point my domains to Afternic as their Afternic 2.0 has had the "Beta" tag on it quite a while now which is accurate as always some form of issues. They would be better off removing the Dan logo slapping a GoDaddy logo on and redirecting the Dan and Uniregistry domains to a new GoDaddy branded version of Dan. Their trying to import pieces of Uniregistry and Dan into Afternic and Afternic has never been bug free so all their doing is adding more bugs. If Afternic didn't have the GoDaddy traffic nobody would use it as it's always been Frustration 101. Efty, Dan, Sedo cause me no frustration. Afternic frustration is guaranteed.

Last edited:
•••
forget afternic Its a random show of bugs. people were reporting this issue 500yrs ago

•••
1. The name is from other registrar and not Godaddy
2. Trade Mark
3. Glitch in the system

•••
Yep, it definitely happens. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to WHY it happens.

•••
I've posted about this before. But Afternic always has issues whether that's template issues, ssl issues, redirection issues, pending review for no reason, etc... I use their MLS along with Sedo but I never point my domains to Afternic as their Afternic 2.0 has had the "Beta" tag on it quite a while now which is accurate as always some form of issues. They would be better off removing the Dan logo slapping a GoDaddy logo on and redirecting the Dan and Uniregistry domains to a new GoDaddy branded version of Dan. Their trying to import pieces of Uniregistry and Dan into Afternic and Afternic has never been bug free so all their doing is adding more bugs. If Afternic didn't have the GoDaddy traffic nobody would use it as it's always been Frustration 101. Efty, Dan, Sedo cause me no frustration. Afternic frustration is guaranteed.
Yes, Afternic is VERY frustrating. But I sell alot of names there and I'm happy with that.

And yes, Afternic should have just replaced itself with Dan. Problems solved.

Last edited:
•••
If you have your names at Afternic, does this happen to you?
Yes.

Ever since I caught this a few weeks ago, I've stopped adding names to afternic. Hopefully they will get it fixed one of these days. In the meantime, I only add them to dan.

•••
Yes.

Ever since I caught this a few weeks ago, I've stopped adding names to afternic. Hopefully they will get it fixed one of these days. In the meantime, I only add them to dan.
One of the problems with setting names to DAN nameservers (not sure if you are doing this), is that:

1. No Fast Transfer
2. No ACH payments
3. VAT will be charged for all Europe-based transactions.

And it's too bad, because the DAN website is such a joy to work with.

•••
One of the problems with setting names to DAN nameservers (not sure if you are doing this), is that:

1. No Fast Transfer
2. No ACH payments
3. VAT will be charged for all Europe-based transactions.

And it's too bad, because the DAN website is such a joy to work with.
Agreed.

I add them to dan and steer back to afternic or escrow to complete transaction.

•••
Yes, Afternic is VERY frustrating. But I sell alot of names there and I'm happy with that.

And yes, Afternic should have just replaced itself with Dan. Problems solved.

well if u have afternic as lander and that's how u sell then obviously u would still be selling thru any lander... maybe u just have nice names.

•••
well if u have afternic as lander and that's how u sell then obviously u would still be selling thru any lander... maybe u just have nice names.
It's the big Afternic Premium Network that helps sell the names. For example, if someone tries to register a name I have at NameCheap.com, it will show them my price and they can buy it right here. They've got 8 of the top 10 domain registrars in the network. This is powerful. I often sell names in this manner, where the buyer never went to Afternic, Godaddy or my lander..

•••
Same happened to me today with nearly 100 domains. (Currently monitoring them.)

I think I may know an issue that's throwing a wrench into the system, but as everyone knows, it a process of gathering evidence.

In their minds, everything is running flawlessly 100% of the time and if any issues arise, it must be a result of something the user did and not the code/system itself. :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

I'll update when the results are in.

•••
Same happened to me today with nearly 100 domains. (Currently monitoring them.)

I think I may know an issue that's throwing a wrench into the system, but as everyone knows, it a process of gathering evidence.

In their minds, everything is running flawlessly 100% of the time and if any issues arise, it must be a result of something the user did and not the code/system itself. :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

I'll update when the results are in.
I look forward to hearing what know.

By the way, Of the 17 names that went to In Review today, three of them are now off the list. Feels like some batch process is running in the background, going through names. But what automated process would put a name in review and then 12+ hours later take it out? I doubt the names were reviewed by a human as it's Sunday. And judging from the feedback I've gotten on this thread, there must be thousands, or tens of thousands, of names going into review everyday.

•••
I look forward to hearing what know.

By the way, Of the 17 names that went to In Review today, three of them are now off the list. Feels like some batch process is running in the background, going through names. But what automated process would put a name in review and then 12+ hours later take it out? I doubt the names were reviewed by a human as it's Sunday. And judging from the feedback I've gotten on this thread, there must be thousands, or tens of thousands, of names going into review everyday.

Did you check the landers or front of site?

Are they showing as for sale or basically unavailable?

Last edited:
•••
It's the big Afternic Premium Network that helps sell the names. For example, if someone tries to register a name I have at NameCheap.com, it will show them my price and they can buy it right here. They've got 8 of the top 10 domain registrars in the network. This is powerful. I often sell names in this manner, where the buyer never went to Afternic, Godaddy or my lander..

what about the big dan announcements that all bin listed names on dan go to all same afternic networks... u dont trust using that instead... especaially since u love dan ui.. and me too... do u think that works same way or halfway or just a sale gimmick to get more people on dan? I mean technically if this works thru dan we never need to login to afternic again and can manage all thru dan... hell we dont even need paid gd auctions account cause the network includes gd..
am I missing something here?

•••
Did you check the landers or front of site?

Are they showing as for sale or basically unavailable?
Yes. When they are in review like this, the lander changes to "this domain name may be for sale...call us" and the name is not in the Afternic front of site search.

•••
Yes. When they are in review like this, the lander changes to "this domain name may be for sale...call us" and the name is not in the Afternic front of site search.

I meant the three that were no longer in review.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back