IT.COM

priority-low NamePros server issues?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

xynames

XYNames.comTop Member
Impact
Lately noticed very occasional load time lags or even just plain stuck won’t load on the site. Server overload?

Seems to happen more for mobile access - is that loading from a different directory or is it all the same mobile responsive?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Probably not an overload--we have multiple servers, and we receive alerts when their response times are higher than normal. I haven't gotten any alerts about that recently.

Is it possible it's a regional/ISP issue? When there are regional issues, https://www.cloudflarestatus.com/ usually documents them fairly well.

Another possibility is DNS. We host most static resources on nameproscdn.com instead of namepros.com for security; if your phone decides to use an older protocol for whatever reason, that could mean extra round trips for DNS, which is often slower on mobile than a wired connection.

I'll double-check our logs to make sure our response times have been normal, but they haven't been high enough to cause alerts.

•••
Thanks.

Well there are a few different forum sites I go to regularly including some forums of my own. No connection between NP and these other sites.

When NP “hangs” I enter immediately the first letter or two of the URL of these other forums, auto fill spells the entire URL out instantly, I hit return and invariably the other site loads instantly. Then I reenter the first letter N of NamePros, URL spells out I hit return, and still it doesn’t load. Which this back and forth rapid checking of other sites with the problem evident only at NPs leads me to believe that it’s a NP site issue.

Typically this “hang” occurs while I am trying to post a new post - doesn’t post - hangs - I try to reload the entire page/NP site, and nothing happens.

But I agree there are so many other factors that at times it could be a regional ISP issue as well. But I try when it happens, by accessing immediately some other forum sites, to rule out that ISP factor.

Over all NP loads and runs faster and more reliably than most forums I visit.

•••
Paul, I have also noticed the past week a few loading delays, didn’t think about saying anything and figured it was an overload or normal until I saw this post just now. Seems dependent on device as the tablet I use with the latest OS only a couple posts were delayed. Older desktop, older browser delayed several times, but stuck with this hardware. I dont use a phone though.

•••
Hmm lol it just happened seconds ago when I clicked to try to post the above post #3. Hung. I would’ve lost a lot of the post except that when it didn’t post and hung I select all copied the entire post.

When I eventually got the page reloaded only a portion of the post had been auto saved so I select all pasted and this time posted successfully.

Running off an iPhone with cell phone ISP at the moment. Earlier today when it happened I was running iPhone off land based ISP (WiFi).

Last edited:
•••
When NP “hangs” I enter immediately the first letter or two of the URL of these other forums, auto fill spells the entire URL out instantly, I hit return and invariably the other site loads instantly. Then I reenter the first letter N of NamePros, URL spells out I hit return, and still it doesn’t load. Which this back and forth rapid checking of other sites with the problem evident only at NPs leads me to believe that it’s a NP site issue.
But I agree there are so many other factors that at times it could be a regional ISP issue as well. But I try when it happens, by accessing immediately some other forum sites, to rule out that ISP factor.

Unless the other forums are also using CloudFlare, that test may not be all that useful or definitive.

Try #1: Next time, please try to visit CloudFlare.com or another site that uses CloudFlare to see if you experience the same issue.

Also, the issue could be with the browser on your phone (e.g., it could need more memory and has to wait for the OS to free up more).

Try #2: The next time it happens, please also try to open namepros.com in a different browser. For example, if you're using Safari, try to open it in Chrome on your phone.

Thanks for your help.

•••
I don’t like cloudflare at all it’s just another bottleneck through which traffic must pass. But if you guys deem it useful then it must serve some purpose for you.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back