IT.COM

NameLiquidate.com Liquidation Platform (Official Thread)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
NameLiquidate.com is a liquidation platform for domainers, registrars, and wholesale buyers of domains. The market was carefully crafted from an idea on Dec. 3rd 2019 - Completed within 30 days, and has been a work-in-progress since.

You can read the origins of this idea and the subsequent discussions that took place between December 3 2019 to March 8 2020.
https://www.namepros.com/threads/do...m-seeking-input-for-new-epik-project.1166450/

We hope to further develop this liquidation market to help domain investors recover precious capital for other renewals or reinvestments. Our intention is to capitalize on the underutilized and often ignored, expiry stream. Those domains which eventually end up in the hands of big domain houses for resale, with no compensation to the previous registrant/owner.

You will see regular updates and notifications on this thread.

Personal note from @DanSanchez: My original intent was to help expiring domains become more liquid and to pass on the capital back to the original registrant at Epik. Since it's inception, NameLiquidate has evolved into a full liquidation platform for new, expiring, and aged domains. I hope to see participation here, questions and doubts will also be welcomed.

My future goal is to invite more registrars to send their expiry stream through NameLiquidate, compensate their previous registrants, and to foster a cooperative attitude for long-term relationships.

Please contact support here, by DM, or via our support chat at Epik.

NameLiquidate FAQ:

Nameliquidate.com/faq

NameLiquidate API Documentation
https://docs.userapi.epik.com/v2/#/Liquidate/liquidateAddDomain

Product Manager @DanSanchez

Twitter: @NameLiquidate

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@DanSanchez

You really need to do something about people simply dropping a huge list of domain names of questionable quality. Right now (ending thankfully in about 18 hr) someone posted 5007 alphanumeric .top domain names all at the same minute. Most are names like: xg2020bmkhro.top I am not picking on .top, and have nothing against extension, but posting over 5000 12-character alphanumerics in any extension makes no sense. A 12 character alphanumeric in .top has never sold, at least as recorded in NameBio. Ever.

Why is this a problem? Let's say someone is open to extensions other than .com, and wants to browse the holdings. What if I had listed a great value domain name in the minute after the 5007 drop. Someone either has to know and look for just my name, or have patience to scroll through 100 pages of alphanumeric names. People give up on browsing when they have to scroll page after page of repetitive names.

The platform would be far better if you restricted the number of domain names any one seller could have on it at any one time. There may be rare cases (e.g. a domainer getting out of business, or holdings of an estate with a quality portfolio) where it makes sense for one seller to have more than the limit, but those could be handled with application for an exemption from the rule.

A sell-limit will increase quality as people will post names they feel are more apt to sell on the platform,

I hope you will give this serious thought, as increasingly I have seen dumps on the platform. People simply post their entire set that they registered in some TLD promotion.

For those of us who regularly search for names, and don't want to restrict our searches to .com only, it is a growing problem.

Thank you for considering this request, and thank you for NameLiquidate. I have acquired more domain names in 2021 so far from NL than anywhere else including hand registration. There are many gems offered at reasonable prices on NameLiquidate. But big dumps of names make the worthwhile ones harder to find.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
He is on the board of Epik
Indeed, I am on the Epik Board but everything I said was 100% true. I was certainly not trying to impress anyone by explaining how I sold a bunch of names at a loss. I was simply sharing my experience using Name Liquidate. And frankly, I’m happy with the results. I ended up with some hundreds of dollars that I would not have had if I had just let those names expire. I found the automated listing process to be much easier than listing my names on NameJet. Not to mention that I paid less commission on Name Liquidate.

•••
I have sold a few names on Name Liquidate, mainly on the low end, but this week I had one purchased for $163. Not bad for a name on my potential drop list.

•••
Just noticed...

New.Truth is listed at NameLiquidate.

And per an earlier comment from Rob, .TRUTH appears to be an "Alt-TLD"

https://www.epik.com/tld/truth [https://archive.li/k7pRT]

For calibration, the first TLD to deploy it was .TRUTH.

As for the folks who bought them, we'll allow a full refund for anyone who did not grasp their function because they don't know how to distinguish a gTLD, a ccTLD and an Alt-TLD.

The catalog is here:

https://registrar.epik.com/prices/registration/alt

Though, I don't see any notice about new.truth being an Alt-TLD, so I'm a little confused...

[https://archive.li/pjPnL]

upload_2020-4-7_19-57-57.png

///

Having to checkmark ICANN policy at checkout leads me to wonder if these are an ICANN regulated domain names.

upload_2020-4-7_20-4-11.png

///

However, as .TRUTH is listed in epik's alt registration catalog, my assumption is New.Truth would be an Alt-domain name, offered by epik and has something to do with toki/anonymize?

Not sure if anyone else agree's, but perhaps there should be better disclaimers as to what we're bidding on at NameLiquidate? It's already hard enough to keep track with the 1,000+ ICANN new gTLDs, yet alone adding (without disclaiming) Alt-TLDs, some of which (I think) are duplicate Alt-TLDs extensions such as .geek/.o.

•••
Timely thread.

I am proud of @DanSanchez and the engineering team. They conceived an idea on December 4, 2019, launched it in mid-January and are now curating and perfecting the experience.

We are now focused on enteriing partnership with supply chain partners. Our next step is to get major partners to send their expiry stream there. The API is ready.

Also, anyone who is a domain reseller should be all over this service. If your API allows you to see the auth code of the expired domain, then fair game to liquidate. Just check your ToS to make sure you comply.

Thanks for co-creating and thanks for liquidating.

•••
•••
NameLiquidate is exactly what the domain industry has been needing. It's such a brilliant concept and it works! Thanks to the epik team for listening to the community and being a real innovator. (y)

Last edited:
•••
A great domain being promoted by RobbiesBlog.com feels a lot more like a nL BIN than a nL auction. I mean, bid amount must be greater than or equal to $995?

Show attachment 157000

Others...

Show attachment 157001
I agree with the sentiments. From a buyer's perspective I am losing interest in NL as it is now full of listings with a $400 reserve which I might pay 10% of that on a liquidation platform (for example). The majority of domains I bid on have a reserve I wouldn't even consider paying, thus it's becoming a timer-waster. There is increased inventory but less at liquidation prices. As you point out - people are basically using it as another marketplace. Such a shame as the platform itself is a fantastic idea. I have said it before, and I'll say it again - the max reserve should be somewhere around the $100 or $200 mark in my opinion. This would solve some of the issues.

•••
As far as having a reserve, at any price, that is okay with me. The problem is the amount of time lost finding a name(s) of interest, doing whatever research there is to do and then finding the person has a reserve of 750 for a domain that has a wholesale value of 50 (or less) once I enter a bid.

PLEASE add a column that shows the reserve, if any, so I stop losing time...its the one thing money can't buy.
At this stage the easiest hack is to enter a bid of $5 before doing any research. That will show you the reserve of every domain and you won't risk accidentally bidding on something you don't want. Not quite as quick as a reserve column, but doesn't take too much time.

•••
Last edited:
•••
I had my first sale this morning at NameLiquidate. Sold a domain I was going to drop anyway and money is already in my Epik account ready for use. Just checked and found there is another domain already with bid. The whole process is very smooth. I can see that this idea will become a big hit among domain investors. Thanks @DanSanchez for the hard work on NameLiquidate.com

Last edited:
•••
@DanSanchez My experience with NL is very good, both as a buyer and as a seller. I'm wondering though if something can be done about encouraging sellers to delete sold domains listings from different marketplaces. That's of course not a problem that's specifically related to NL, but since it's a domainer centric platform- this happens with almost all of the domains that I buy. The domain lands, then I see that it's listed in other places and have to email afternic with a screenshot of the domain in my account, email Sedo with a screenshot, then contact Dan.com etc. and even Efty sometimes. It's a hassle.

Requiring sellers to delete listings in marketplaces before a domain is listed isn't a good solution, IMO because not all domains sell and there's always a chance something will sell elsewhere while at NL. But maybe in the email notifying sellers about the sold domain, you could add a request from sellers to remove the sold domain from different marketplaces. Or perhaps there's a better solution to this issue, but I hope it can be somehow addressed since no domainer wants to get stuck with old pricing under somebody else's account and inability to list the domain easily in the popular marketplaces. Thanks for the consideration.

Last edited:
•••
What happens if a domain gets sold elsewhere (as Fast Transfer - Afternic/Sedo), and currently has a bid on NameLiquidate? Do you have to contact support or do they get removed?
You shouldn't really be selling it elsewhere if it's on NL. Listing it on NL means you are guaranteeing that you can deliver the domain if it sells. If this has happened I suggest you contact support ASAP. Whoever was bidding on it will be a bit annoyed that it will disappear, so I would highly recommend against listing elsewhere at the same time in future, otherwise it ruins the platform if people can just go cancelling auctions whenever they feel like it.

•••
Listed 12 names I was going to drop anyway just to give it a try. 2 had sold and when the names had transferred in from external registrar I was paid with masterbucks. Everything was smooth.

Worked out good for me. Epik was running a transfer promo at the time I've gotten paid. Used my masterbucks to transfer names I wanted to keep.

Will be using again in future.

Thanks,
Donavan

•••
I sold 3 domains out of about 10 that I listed though this service. I was going to allow those names to drop and I got reg-fee or more for each. Thank you!

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
As far as having a reserve, at any price, that is okay with me. The problem is the amount of time lost finding a name(s) of interest, doing whatever research there is to do and then finding the person has a reserve of 750 for a domain that has a wholesale value of 50 (or less) once I enter a bid.

PLEASE add a column that shows the reserve, if any, so I stop losing time...its the one thing money can't buy.

•••
Looking for info from any source.

Is there a way to see what names, using the epik system, to find what names I may have active in the nameliquiade platform? I am having trouble locating at tab/search function. Thnx.
Looking for info from any source.

Is there a way to see what names, using the epik system, to find what names I may have active in the nameliquiade platform? I am having trouble locating at tab/search function. Thnx.
Hi ,

You can go to Settings -> Nameliquidate option from Epik domain portfolio page and select 'Domain I am selling' to see the list of domains listed at nameliquidate

Screenshot_2020-06-28-20-30-46-227_com.android.chrome.jpg

Thanks,
Sumeeth

•••
Dan can we Pl get rid of crazy high reserves(?)

This why DC/SN bidders ignore private sellers, focus only the expired at DropCatch Snap IMO

Really a good idea to have $500 reserves? O_o
Ruining for me, Dan, cap that reserve at $100, counterproductive and will ruin Nameliquidate

@DanSanchez @Rob Monster

On the plus side, love watching this baby grow

Last edited:
•••
Not sure if anyone else agree's, but perhaps there should be better disclaimers as to what we're bidding on at NameLiquidate? It's already hard enough to keep track with the 1,000+ ICANN new gTLDs, yet alone adding (without disclaiming) Alt-TLDs, some of which (I think) are duplicate Alt-TLDs extensions such as .geek/.o.

Thanks Grilled. We are working on that actually, the lack of info has definitely caused some friction.

•••
Last edited:
•••
Hi Dan - I have a product suggestion. On the marketplace, would be great if you can have a filter for domains which are already registered on Epik and thereby only push is needed to Epik account (as opposed to domains registered outside Epik which need to be transferred and renewed for a year). Thank you in advance!

•••
One of the main things I want to change is to combine the auction names with the bargain section.

This would solve user experience (1)

(1) Buyer first noticed ExampleDomain on the NameLiquidate home page at $68 with a little more than 10 hours remaining.

Buyer makes note to return in 10 hours to reconsider ExampleDomain if it's still available.

Buyer returns 11 hours later, accidentally after the auction ended, and searches for ExampleDomain; doesn't see it available.

Buyer is then expected to be aware of a "Bargain Domains" section, and click on Reverse Auction to open a drop down to select Bargain Domains.

Then, once Bargain Domains is selected, buyer can utilize the search to find ExampleDomain at the lowest price, be it the reserve, or default $9 minimum.

... ^ that was my experience with my last NL purchase. And due to my mistake on missing the auction, and the extra step to toggle bargain domains, I was happily surprised, though expected (hence my previous feedback in favor of the seller) to pay a small premium for my mistake.

This will allow new buyer eyes to scroll through the names that didn't sell initially and put more pressure on the people hesitating.

I'm all for bargain domains being included in the "search liquidation domains" search box (not sure why they weren't to begin with since both reverse auction and bargain domains are apart of the liquidation process) but to @NicTraders point

If you're doing this there needs to be an easy way to filter out finished auctions. Otherwise, buyers who keep an eye on the auction will continue to see the same names for a week after the auction finished.

including bargain domains in the reverse auction default scrollable home page 👎 might result in buyers continually seeing the same names for a week.

Thus, potentially, simply including bargain domains in the default NL homepage internal search results 👍, would be a better fix, than a scorllable inclusion. Also to @NicTraders point, if both bargain domains and auction domains are included in the search, there needs to be an identifier as to what the domain is, be it bargain or reverse auction.

Additionally, for bargain domains, why not include a "time left" sortable tab (such as the case for reverse auctions), so a buyer knows how much longer they have to purchase a bargain domain, OR, so a buyer can sort by newly added?

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back