Dynadot

Namejet after pre-release

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I bid on a namejet pre release domain, and now I just found out that there is a possibility the client renews the domain during a 42 day period for $160 and it will be his....

In the case that it happens, would I be refunded fully by NameJet?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The 42 day lock @ Enom is more of an escrow hold than a redemption period.
From their FAQ -

What is "Auction Lock" and why is it placed on Pre-Release domain names supplied by eNom?

If a Pre-Release domain name is supplied by eNom, upon receipt of your auction payment the domain enters an Escrow Holding Period known as Auction Lock. This holding period lasts for 42 days following the completion of the auction. During this period, the domain cannot be transferred, the WHOIS cannot be updated or changed to anyone other than the successful bidder, nor can you push the domain to another account.

If for some reason the domain is taken back they would be forced to provide a refund.

Brad

•••
Thanks a lot Brad, appreciate the help. One more question-- when bidding on 4 letter pre-release domains that always get multiple bidders, if I am the highest pre-release bidder does the domain go to me automatically?

•••
Thanks a lot Brad, appreciate the help. One more question-- when bidding on 4 letter pre-release domains that always get multiple bidders, if I am the highest pre-release bidder does the domain go to me automatically?

If there are multiple bids the domain will go to private auction. It does not matter if you place a minimum backorder for $69 or $500 pre-release bid, either way you will be in the auction when it starts.

There is really no benefit in placing a pre-release bid for higher than the minimum amount.

Brad

•••
The 42 day lock @ Enom is more of an escrow hold than a redemption period.
From their FAQ -

What is "Auction Lock" and why is it placed on Pre-Release domain names supplied by eNom?

If a Pre-Release domain name is supplied by eNom, upon receipt of your auction payment the domain enters an Escrow Holding Period known as Auction Lock. This holding period lasts for 42 days following the completion of the auction. During this period, the domain cannot be transferred, the WHOIS cannot be updated or changed to anyone other than the successful bidder, nor can you push the domain to another account.

If for some reason the domain is taken back they would be forced to provide a refund.

Brad

This effectively means the original domain owner can recover the domain right up to the time it would have dropped, if not captured by a pre-release auction. Do they really mean this? GoDaddy for example, will not give you your domain back 45 days after expiry. This seems to me to be two directly opposite ways to handle the same situation. Or have I misunderstood something here?

•••

no, it goes to auction for 3 days and there if you are the highest bidder u win

pre-release bid is simply to give you the honor to be able to be part of the 3 days auction, obviously if its a private pre-release and there are no other bidders u get the name

•••
Even if you win the auction the previous registrant can still renew the domain.
It has happened to me before! A few days after I won an auction they refunded the money and returned the domain back to its previous owner.

•••
Where was that? At eNom or GoDaddy? We are discussing eNom's policy here.

•••
I got another question for everybody here, do you know if $12 GoDaddy auctions mean anything special? It seems quite cheap, does it mean a certain domain has expired and is being auctioned?

•••
If it's a $12 dollar auction it generally means an auction for a domain which has expired and is now being auctioned off by GoDaddy. But you have to be careful. It also should be an Expiring Auction type. Any other action type means it isn't an expiring auction and is being sold by an individual, not GoDaddy.

•••
Here is the weird part: the domain expires in March of 2015, yet it says "Expiring auction" in the description. What's up that?

•••
This has been covered many times on NP. You are looking at the Registry Expiry Date, not the Registrar Expiry Date. Do your whois lookup on the Registrar's own whois server.

The other possibility is that the expiry date looks to be too old to be an Expiring Auction, and has been listed by someone other than GoDaddy, for $12 start. So check the auction type for this domain.

•••
Amazing tip, thank you so much!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back