Dynadot

NameCheap just locked my account and threatned to cancel all my domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
tried to log into namecheap and my account was locked today. They claimed there was fraudulent activity.

Im real paranoid because the names I just purchased the other day are valuable and target very competitive industries.

They said I need to "verify my account"

I clicked the link they gave me and tried to verify my account. I entered my social and everything then got the message "this account cannot be verified".

I tried twice.

I was also told, I have 24 hours to comment on this issue.

Thing is when I made the comment it was just a few hours AFTER their comment but they have on their support page that THEY commented on the 22 (today ) but I made the comment on the 23 TOMORROW.

Which makes me even more paranoid. See the image for yourself with the time stamp. If anyone wants to see a snapshot of the timestamps and ticket PM me.

I wont be sleeping tonight.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
SO contact namecheap.
They have live chat.
Submit a ticket.

•••
•••
Thanks. I did. They said risk management isn't available right now and wont be for 3 more hours. Now Im waiting.

•••
•••
•••
Where is the image? I don't see it.

Did you have 50 accounts? Or anything else that led to this? What trigged it? Using a new credit card?

AND THEY ASKED FOR YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER? In my opinion, that is going way too far.

This will make me rethink using Namecheap in the future, for sure.

•••
Where is the image? I don't see it.

Did you have 50 accounts? Or anything else that led to this? What trigged it? Using a new credit card?

AND THEY ASKED FOR YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER? In my opinion, that is going way too far.

This will make me rethink using Namecheap in the future, for sure.

I will be happy to show you the image if you PM me. I cant post links.
Yes I did use a new CC that is in my wife's name. Maybe that did it. Even so this is insane. What if I didn't know? What If I didnt check? And then 24 hours later I would have lost it ALL!

Im moving it all to go daddy after this is cleared up IF I have the chance.

PS Ive used several CCd's over the years with godaddy and NEVER had this issue.

Thanks

Last edited:
•••
I will be happy to show you the image if you PM me. I cant post links.

Yes I DID use a new CC in my wif's name. That might of had something to do with it. Even so if it did its ridiculous. If I get to keep these names I will be moving them to godaddy.

Thanks

•••
If you're using cards in another person's name that's what probably set off the alarms. You might need to get her on the phone too, so she can let them know it's OK. Not sure how their process works but I bet that's the issue..

•••
Just reached out to chat support again. They said they offer zero phone support only via text and tickets.

Evidently this whole thing was just an automated bot flagging me.

I think it would have been much more professional to give me a call and ask me about the charge than to just have some bot automatically threaten to steal my names if I dont take action in 24 hours. Glad I got the message before my 24 hours was up.

In any case tech support told me the risk management department takes longer than other departments and it might be a while. Its almost 1am here. Guess Ill just wait.

•••
Get on the phone buddy. Things like this Phone > Anything Else.

•••
As others have said, I'm thinking it's cause you were using your wifes card. I certainly wouldn't have given them my social, I would have just called and spoken with them. If you haven't done anything wrong there isn't anything to be worried about. If you speak to them then get your wife on the phone too if needed.

•••
Get on the phone buddy. Things like this Phone > Anything Else.

Just talked to tech again. Believe me Id love nothing ore than to get on the phone.

Artem B.: Hello Phillip, you've contacted Live Support! Please give me a minute to look through the question you asked.

01:16phillip: They locked my account and threatened to cancel all my names. Ive waited hours and hours with no response from risk management.

01:16Artem B.: Namecheap does not provide Phone Support at the moment. Our Risk Management Department is currently available via Ticketing system only.

01:17Artem B.: Could you please provide me with the ticket ID in which they contacted you?

01:17phillip: Well they need to call me. I have a lot on the line #NHJ-675-90719

01:17Artem B.: Thank you. Just a moment please.

01:17phillip: Its not right to make threats like that then not even follow up with a call and make me wait hours and hours.

01:18phillip: its 130am in the morning here I will get no sleep tonight

01:20Artem B.: Please accept our apologies for the inconveniences you experienced. I have escalated your ticket and it is being reviewed now. Our Risk management representatives will contact you back shortly, Phillip.

01:20phillip: thank you

We shall see.

•••
In all fairness, Namecheap have very good support (albeit only via the web). I'm sure they'll get it sorted for you.

If I were you I'd be happy to know that they have measures in place to stop your domains being stolen :P

•••
In all fairness, Namecheap have very good support (albeit only via the web). I'm sure they'll get it sorted for you. If I were you I'd be happy to know that they have measures in place to stop your domains being stolen :P

After that last post which stated they will be with me soon, I passed out at my computer waiting last night and they didnt contact me until noon today (another 8 hours later).

Im sorry but to have a BOT lock your account, and threaten to take your names if this isn't handled in 24 hours, then promise to contact you, then keep you up all night stressing and NO contact for 18 hours with not even the decency of a PHONE CALL and ZERO phone support.

This is horribly unprofessional.

I will be moving everything to godaddy as soon as this is sorted out.

Last edited:
•••
After that last post which stated they will be with me soon, I passed out at my computer waiting last night and they didnt contact me until noon today (another 8 hours later).

Im sorry but to have a BOT lock your account, and threaten to take your names if this isn't handled in 24 hours, then promise to contact you, then keep you up all night stressing and NO contact for 18 hours with not even the decency of a PHONE CALL and ZERO phone support.

This is horribly unprofessional.

I will be moving everything to godaddy as soon as this is sorted out.
What was it they said to make you think they would "take" your domain names? I can't imagine any registrar just taking your names, I'm 99% sure that's illegal to start with.

•••
24 hours time limit is ridiculous. Asking for a social is going too far, imo.

•••
What was it they said to make you think they would "take" your domain names? I can't imagine any registrar just taking your names, I'm 99% sure that's illegal to start with.

"If we do not hear back from you within 24 hours we will be forced to cancel your orders."

I have the snapshot but cant post the link. I also got everything on video. I made a video of me trying to verify, of them saying they will be with me soon, then 8 hours later, included the world clock all that.

As far as the domains.
These domains are mine. The who is info already reflects they are all in my name.

Last edited:
•••
"If we do not hear back from you within 24 hours we will be forced to cancel your orders."

I have the snapshot but cant post the link. I also got everything on video. I made a video of me trying to verify, of them saying they will be with me soon, then 8 hours later, included the world clock all that.

As far as the domains.
These domains are mine. The who is info already reflects they are all in my name.
"Cancel your orders"? Seems like a strange term to use - did you have anything in your basket maybe? Either way, that's your property so you have the right to use it how you wish.

•••
24 hours time limit is ridiculous.
The 24-hour time limit is to get the OP's response. From my experience, an actual scammer won't respond to such a thing.

I'm surprised if NameCheap indeed asked for the OP's social security number. Unless social means something else here?

•••
I'm surprised if NameCheap indeed asked for the OP's social security number. Unless social means something else here?
Doubt the latter. It seems a bizarre request to me, red flag time.

•••
they asked for the last 4 digits of my social. For anyone that doesnt believe me Im happy to show you a screenshot just shoot me a PM. I have it on video too.

•••
they asked for the last 4 digits of my social. For anyone that doesnt believe me Im happy to show you a screenshot just shoot me a PM. I have it on video too.
Ok, last 4 is a bit different, makes more sense as it's probably a cc issue. Have no reason to doubt you.

•••
They asked for a cam shot of the cc I used today front and back to verify its an actual card. I gave them what they requested so hopefully this issue will be resolved within the next 24 hours. Of course sooner would be nice.

Thank all of you for participating in this conversation as well as the support Ive gotten via PM. Ill post any updates I get.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back