Domain Empire

Namecheap.com and IDN's

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hello! I was just wondering if Namecheap supports the regging of IDN's. I thought you could and when I went to buy it I got a registration error saying "A valid language code is required", every single time, even with a different domain. So did I just waste putting $8.88 into my account or am I doing something wrong.

It was in the format XN--(N's and L's here).com

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
A far as I know, domainsite and dynadot are the most welcomed registrars regarding IDNs. Enom is another option.

•••
Yes, you can't reg'd IDN at namecheap, I still waste putting 50$ there for almost a month. Too bad we can't withdraw once deposited there :(

•••
Yep, once an IDN is registered, you can transfer them to a non-IDN enabled registrar.

The language-tag variant check is only performed at registration.

•••
I use Dynadot, and so far I have had an excellent experience with them.

•••
gammascalper said:
Yep, once an IDN is registered, you can transfer them to a non-IDN enabled registrar.

The language-tag variant check is only performed at registration.

Are you able to add extra years to the registration at Namecheap once you've transferred it?

•••
peterstannard said:
Are you able to add extra years to the registration at Namecheap once you've transferred it?

I haven't tried Namecheap, but it should be no different than Moniker.

The only problem with the non-IDN enabled registrars is that it becomes difficult to scan domains in punycode.

Domainsite, for instance, renders the domain in both punycode and unicode which makes it easy to pick-out what you're looking for if you can read the language.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back