IT.COM

Namebright has a Bug - Support Not Responding

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
I've discovered a terrible bug in Namebright's platform. Basically it doesn't add WHOIS privacy when set to be ON as default. The domains I backorder and win at dropcatch go to Namebright. It is important that these domains are not associated with my name hence why I set the default option in Namebright to be Privacy ON.

Well what happens is to the domains when they arrive in Namebright is they are shown as Privacy ON, but the real WHOIS still has my data. I need to go to settings to each domain and click save again in order to REALLY enable WHOIS privacy.

I have gathered around 20 domains in the past few months and I thought they had Private WHOIS, as it shows in their panel. However each of these domains had my name associated with them!

So wrote to them about this issue, and they asked me to designate the domain names in question. I've replied to that email with all my domain names, and they never replied ever since. It's been like more than 2 weeks now. I've wrote a few more emails, nobody replies to me. It's like their support is gone completely. I've pointed out a terrible bug in their platform and yet I get ignored.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Call them.

Phone: 720-496-0020

Office Hours:
Monday-Friday 8am-5pm MST.

•••
Call them.

Phone: 720-496-0020

Office Hours:
Monday-Friday 8am-5pm MST.
Not from the US, but will use Skype I guess since this is really annoying..
Thanks

Last edited:
•••
Hello @spiritfly , It's been 3 days since you emailed in your list, not 2 weeks. We can keep things civil, but please don't stretch the truth to the extremes simply for a reaction from the community.

There does appear to be a minor bug in the privacy protection implementation specifically when you have privacy set at a category level for .ORG domain names. I will have one of our developers look this over, but I cannot give an ETA at this time on when the fix will be implemented.

In the meantime, please make sure you are verifying your privacy is enabled (and responding properly via Whois) for each of your domains as they come into your account on DropCatch.

It appears that having privacy protection is extremely critical to you, and I understand that. However, I will reference you to our terms and conditions: https://www.namebright.com/terms
Section 14 states "By using privacy protection services you consent that your personal information is not 100% protected. For iron clad privacy in Whois, NameBright suggests you hire a lawyer and have that lawyer be the primary contact on your domain."

If you absolutely need to make sure that nobody ever gets your personal information from Whois, this is the only way to go about it.

Again, we apologize that this has affected you so, and I will have our developers get to work on it as soon as they possibly can.

•••
Hello @spiritfly , It's been 3 days since you emailed in your list, not 2 weeks. We can keep things civil, but please don't stretch the truth to the extremes simply for a reaction from the community.

There does appear to be a minor bug in the privacy protection implementation specifically when you have privacy set at a category level for .ORG domain names. I will have one of our developers look this over, but I cannot give an ETA at this time on when the fix will be implemented.

In the meantime, please make sure you are verifying your privacy is enabled (and responding properly via Whois) for each of your domains as they come into your account on DropCatch.

It appears that having privacy protection is extremely critical to you, and I understand that. However, I will reference you to our terms and conditions: https://www.namebright.com/terms
Section 14 states "By using privacy protection services you consent that your personal information is not 100% protected. For iron clad privacy in Whois, NameBright suggests you hire a lawyer and have that lawyer be the primary contact on your domain."

If you absolutely need to make sure that nobody ever gets your personal information from Whois, this is the only way to go about it.

Again, we apologize that this has affected you so, and I will have our developers get to work on it as soon as they possibly can.

I sincerely apologize for saying it was 2 weeks. What I wanted to say was that my domains were more than 2 weeks without Privacy WHOIS enabled, but somehow my train of thought derailed. It wasn't my intention to seek for a reaction of the community on false premises.

No one is actually coming after my domains and checking them manually. But I do need them for SEO purposes and it's extremely important for my domains to have different Whois info or privacy enabled. Having my name on all of them is a huge footprint and puts my whole business at risk. This is why I need this feature bad.

I really hope this will be sorted out sooner rather than later. In the meantime, I will stop buying new domains from dropcatch as I cannot just wait with my namebright panel open every day I order a domain name just to enable the privacy whois manually. Besides, once a domain name is associated with a certain whois info, that info goes into a lot of archives already.

•••
@JBubba it's been more than 2 weeks now and this bug still hasn't been fixed, I just thought you might want to know. ;)

•••
•••
Hmmm I'm having same problem.. I sent a support ticket.. 2/3 days ago yet to hear from them..not sure what's going on???

•••
@JBubba

I sent a support ticket 2/3 days ago.. yet to get any reply.. Appreciate if you could please get back to me.Thanks..

•••
@JBubba

Fyi: It's not a privacy issue.. a different matter. Thanks

•••
@JBubba

I sent a support ticket 2/3 days ago.. yet to get any reply.. Appreciate if you could please get back to me.Thanks..

I feel you brother. It's been more than 2 months now and the issue is still not resolved. I've backordered 50+ domains with them now and every single one has public whois because of this unresolved issue.

I really wish I could get professional support at dropcatch/namebright..

Last edited:
•••
Is this issue still not resolved?

I like NameBright, don't usually hear negative things about them. It would be good if stayed that way.

Hopefully @JBubba will give some communication on this bug, ideally that it's been fixed and this issue can be put to rest.

•••
Is this issue still not resolved?

I like NameBright, don't usually hear negative things about them. It would be good if stayed that way.

Hopefully @JBubba will give some communication on this bug, ideally that it's been fixed and this issue can be put to rest.

I can confirm that as of today it is still not resolved. I have to manually add whois privacy to every single org domain I successfully backorder with them. As my domain portfolio in my namebright account grows, this becomes a PITA to track. This is especially not good for the industry I'm in, because my whois details are being associated with all my domains at some point. Even if I'm quick enough to manually add the privacy option after just a few seconds with my name in the whois(which cannot happen because of the dropcatch/namebright transfer) the details are saved on various WHOIS tracking services and my domains are forever associated with my name, which is something I try to avoid. Not to mention the numerous spam emails I receive daily as these are mostly active domains I'm after. My inbox is full of indian guys trying to sell me: web development, SEO, mobile app development services and what not..

Last edited:
•••
Hello all, I apologize that I haven't been updating you all on this issue as of late. Our team has been working diligently to track down the bug that causes this, and they have released new code not more than 10 minutes ago that should contain the fix for .ORG domains not receiving privacy protection after being pushed from DropCatch to your NameBright account. If you see anything different going forward, please let me know and I'll get it addressed ASAP.

@kandyan - What issue are you experiencing? If it is something you do not want to discuss publicly, please feel free to PM me and I'll look into it.

Thanks all,
J

•••
Hello @JBubba

Just sent you a PM. Thanks

•••
@JBubba I'm sorry I will be bumping this one, but I have an urgent issue that needs to be resolved in a few hours. A dropcatched domain I paid for is showing as not paid and I'm receiving emails from dropcatch.com that my account would be suspended today if I won't paid for the domain in the cart. But there is nothing in the cart and I have paid for the domain name the same day it was catched. I'm not sure what I should do, but I can't have my account suspended!

•••
Hello @spiritfly , I responded to your PM regarding this.

•••
I concur that support at Namebright can be non-responsive and slow at best. I've only used them for a domain I bought thru Dropcatch due to the 60 day hold period. And based on my experience with their support, I won't be using them again. Apparently there was a system wide issue with their "url forwarding server" which was causing 301 redirects to timeout. I'm not sure how long it was going on for, but 16 days after I discovered and reported to their support, it still wasn't fixed. During this time, it was like pulling teeth to get an update. Finally my 60 days were up and I was able to transfer away to a reliable host. I hope NB decides to invest in better servers and more staff. Clearly they're ill equipped!

•••
I have to say that @JBubba was quick to the rescue. My issue was resolved fast, and he assured me they are actively working on developing their backend.

•••
I know I said the original issue described in this post was resolved, but this issue STILL persists! I thought it was resolved, because I have catched a .com domain on the same date when @JBubba said this was fixed, but I forgot that only .org domains had this issue. So yesterday I have successfully backordered 2 .org domains and the issue is still there.

•••
i have had problems for months now with issues managing my domains. this has been going on now for almost a year. nothing stays fixed. a couple of weeks ago i had an issue with the categories setting. make a long story short-fred the customer service rep comes back on the phone and says they have reset things and it should be working now. i asked him what he meant by reset and he said they had to do some manual reset. in other words-every domain i had set up individually for a specific dns setting or ip address had been removed and was now set at default. i said to him-you mean i have to manually go through my 240 and change things to the way they were? yea-im sorry he said. ok-but now as i write this-things have just gotten more and more worse. i cannot even unlock a domain. ive been trying to move names out slowly as expiration reaches and the un-lock function will do nothing. ive got a few coming up to rgp status so im going to need those to be fixed pronto. every domain in my account i cannot unlock. next-i cannot even change a nameserver for my domains. i cannot even push a domain from my account. goes through the whole process and then accepting account clicks accept and the little time clock just keeps turning. never accomplishes the accept. one time over a year ago i noticed a domain of mine was missing. i contacted andrew reberry via a email address and told him-hey what is going on with this. he responded and told me it would be fixed. it was. then-i had another major issue last year-and i reached out to him to please help me with my domains regarding these major bugs and i never heard back. we should have to contact in the first place. 3 times the past few months fred the customer service has said he will call with a time frame on when something will be fixed and all 3 times i have never heard from him. if they can buy 500 more registrars they need to invest some money into getting their namebright.com platform fixed. my situation has become a complete disaster.

this is from and article in december of 2016-turn commerce
DropCatch spends millions to buy FIVE HUNDRED more registrars
Kevin Murphy, December 2, 2016,
Domain drop-catching service DropCatch.com has added five hundred new registrar accreditations to its stable over the last few days. The additions give the company a total accreditation count of at least 1,252, according to DI data. That means about 43% of all ICANN-accredited registrars are now controlled by just one company. DropCatch is owned by TurnCommerce, which is also parent of registrar NameBright and premium sales site HugeDomains.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back