Dynadot

.name domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
What do you guys think of the .name domains now that they have been available for a while? Are they worth investing in? And what's your favorite place to register them? If I think of a word many people are familiar with and its available in the .name extension is it worth registering?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Go with your instinct. Alot of people see a goldmine waiting to be discovered and alot of people just laugh at the extension. Mixed responses on this one.

•••
Wouldn't touch them with a 10-foot poll. I've never heard of a single sale at any price. If you want a better deal we have a lot of swampland down here in Florida we can sell you. :)

•••
•••
Its too early to tell how this tld will go for resale, but I see real potential for development projects.

If you do decide to go for it, just make sure that your regs are thematically-linked to the extension, and you should be alright.

I prefer to see the .name tld as something that works for domain name-related websites. A few I have are:

Affordable.name
Amazing.name
Incredible.name
Legendary.name
Superb.name

Any of these will be perfectly awesome choices for a domain sales website, or for creating something similar to fabulous.com.

Unfortunately, even this early in the game, a lot of the one-word .names that make sense thematically are already gone! I've been trying for the past 2 weeks, and couldn't find anything else that makes sense to me. If you find one available that works with the tld, I highly suggest you do the right thing and reg it.

•••
I agree with armstrong... his method seems the most logical for obtaining .names with value. Plus, high OVT keyword .names will likely be a good idea as well.

•••
I think new tlds will take alot of time to get known.
.Biz got known very fast, but .info and .name ... I dont know it seems to take a while.

But in the end they will have good value.

•••
Originally posted by Duke
If you want a better deal we have a lot of swampland down here in Florida we can sell you. :)

How much? There may be oil in them swamps :D

I had a grgrgrandfather who owned a couple miles of swampland here in Louisiana that he bought for pennies on the dollar and used for traping and hunting.

He eventually sold the mineral rights to the 'land' to Standard Oil for $150,000. Good? No! It turned out to be one of the biggest oil finds in the state and has since produced millions of dollars of oil:(

We still get these wierd royalty checks each year that amount to a couple of dollars total. :'(

I don't see this extension ever taking off. There are many great alternatives left to be had, even in the .com variant! But who knows . . . ?

Last edited:
•••
I am not too excited abt .name's but if you do want to register them the best place is www.domainsite.com they are doing it for pretty cheap

•••
Yeah painperdu ! You said it, it all depends if the domains take off. Alot of TLDs have but some just seem to be fueled by us domain sellers that register the domains cause of keyword and stuff.

•••
Originally posted by painperdu
I don't see this extension ever taking off. There are many great alternatives left to be had, even in the .com variant!

That's the key point I think. There are too many far higher quality alternatives on the market for .name to ever go anywhere IMO (and more coming, ICANN plans to continue rolling out new TLD's periodically). When you have global TLDs like .info and .biz still in their infancy, you would be far better off looking there or at .US if you are an American if price appreciation is your goal. I would even take .ws over .name which to me is a silly extension that adds nothing to a domain name. Do I really have to be told that it is a name!! I sort of gathered that.

I think Armstrong's idea of using the extension with an appropriate term related to the domain business is about the only thing that would make any sense with this extension - and even then the only use I can see is for development purposes - I still can't see anyone paying anything above pocket change for any of these.

•••
I think Armstrong's idea of using the extension with an appropriate term related to the domain business is about the only thing that would make any sense with this extension - and even then the only use I can see is for development purposes - I still can't see anyone paying anything above pocket change for any of these
I own a few .names and agree. I think the range of good .name domains is very narrow which could potentially give a few good ones some clout. But, as you mentioned, there are currently no sales in the marketplace, and development will be integral to success.
I would broaden the range of possible good uses for.name domains to include other sites w/ name related themes ie. geneology, identity, statistical/demographic name analysis (census). as well as one of my favorites;) : new baby name(s).

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for all the input guys :)

•••
You're welcome! I still don't get why people like .biz names...

•••
I think .Names are great! I have Unique.Name and Meaningful.Name

•••
Originally posted by dnslife
I think .Names are great! I have Unique.Name and Meaningful.Name

Ha! I was thinking about that one ages ago, but didn't bother!

I own Develop.name :tu:

•••
Originally posted by Darren
Ha! I was thinking about that one ages ago, but didn't bother!

I own Develop.name :tu:

Killer name! In the near future everything is going to be more personal. Hang on to your .name domains!

•••
I can see them taking off in the future. They will never compare to .info IMO though.

•••
Killer name! In the near future everything is going to be more personal. Hang on to your .name domains!

Good analysis. I'll be sure to use that when defending .name in the future.
:)

•••
Originally posted by Anthony
Good analysis. I'll be sure to use that when defending .name in the future.
:)

Will ya.....

•••
There are still some excellent .Name domains available. I am noticing,however, that the top keyword names are starting to become scarce, indicating that some marketers out there see some good potential w/ the TLD.
As mentioned above, DomainSite is a good registrar for acquiring .Name domains- $14.95 for a 2year registration. (.Name min reg is 2years).
I regged the following over the past 2 days:
Evaluate.Name
Targeted.Name
Hold.Name
Definition.Name

•••
I've found that the second level .name has a good third level market. I've been seeing a lot of cultural and country names like polish.name and hawaiian.name domains too.

•••
Will ya.....

Yeah, unless that explanation/defense is under some sort of copyright!
;)

I was just complimenting your view on .name, honest! :)

•••
I've found that the second level .name has a good third level market.

DNS, how are you marketing them . Could you give an example or two?

I reggd New. Baby.Name begore the 2ld was avail. Do you mean sell the 3ld (in this example"New"would be sold by owner of "baby.name"?)

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back