Domain Empire

registrars Name.com sleazy "policy" to frontload renewal revenue

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Premium gTLD

Established Member
Impact
Has anybody else had a bad experience with Name.com? I have domain names at multiple resigtrars and I can honestly say Name.com's back end service is by far the worst.

For starters you call them and immediately get the "due to high-call volume" and "leave a message" prompts.

The Name.com 'policy' of auto-renewing domains a month before they actually expire, and then only giving you a five day "grace period" for dropping any of your names that won't expire for at least another month, is really, really sleazy.

I thought I might be the only one with problems, but check out their twitter feed, it's nothing but complaints. Looks like I'll be dropping name.com and moving that business to either Uniregistry or GoDaddy.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Name.com was great up until a couple of months ago. Then everything turned. I too have called multiple times in the last couple months and cannot get a human on the phone. I used to be able to call and talk to them. Also, had a lot of trouble trying to renew domains. The orders failed. Ultimately I was able to renew, but it is unsettling to not be able to renew when you want to. Their deleting list stopped working. I had a lot of support tickets but I basically quit writing and calling at this point. Not sure what happened.

•••
Yikes, I actually didn't know they had such a crappy renewal policy...I have only recently used their services for a few of my domains. Just a handful of domains...

Thanks for pointing this out, guess I should transfer my domains outta there... :)

•••
Thanks for the heads up, I'll be transferring out what I have there ASAP.

Cheers.

•••
i have never called Name.com

but if i have any problem, i am getting enough support on emails.

Name.com works very good for me...

•••
Everything's alright at name.com from what I experienced, except that orders fail a few times before the transaction is successful.

•••
What do you mean by a 5-day grace period? Are you referring to the DNS remaining the same or the time frame from which you can renew at regular rates? name.com has a 25-day grace period. You are able to renew from within the control panel at regular rates any time within 25-days of the expiration date. You can even renew for a few more days beyond this but you will have to open a ticket to have the domain reinstated to your account beyond 25-days.

We have had good success with name.com. They provide us investor pricing and coded our account for automatic free whois privacy. We rarely need support, though, and have not called in a few years. We do not use auto renew and have seen a few complaints regarding it. Email support regarding your concerns and they should provide a detailed response.

•••
Does Name.com have a forum rep?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back