Domain Empire

Name.com no longer allowing users to approve domain transfers - must now submit ticket

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DOHAN

Established Member
Impact
Since around late January/early February, @name.com decided, without explanation, to no longer allow users to expedite domains themselves, instead of letting the domain transfer by itself during a five day course. Users must now submit a ticket requesting to expedite a domain which could take as little as 1-2 hours to get processed, but may also take upwards of 12 hours sometimes.

One possible explanation for cancelling this feature could be that some newbies were messing up the process and, perhaps for security reasons, Name.com decided to cancel that feature, at least for now. The funny thing is that Name.com came up with the option to expedite a domain only towards the end of 2019/beginning of 2020, possibly after numerous requests from customers because for most registrars this was a no brainer to allow for customer convenience.

The frustration is that some domainers to whom I sell domains will ask me to approve the transfer if they haven't received it after a while, assuming that Name.com allows fast transfers and not knowing that I had to submit a ticket. The buyer/domainer must therefore be patient.

Either Name.com doesn't mind having a backlog of tickets, or they just hope that most domainers won't know that they can submit a ticket to expedite a domain. Now they know.

Also, they haven't updated their support page on that topic: https://www.name.com/support/articles/206103837-Expediting-a-domain-transfer

Notice that it still shows the button to "transfer now." Attached is the current button without the "transfer now" option where the only option is to cancel the transfer.
Screen Shot 2021-04-02 at 10.02.34 PM.png

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Maybe it's needed to wait for one day on name.com and only then to accelerate the transfer via "transfer now"?
Look, I have started usual 5-6 day transfer yesterday when I didn't know about such quick transfers. Then I accelerated it via "transfer now" today.

•••
Maybe it's needed to wait for one day on name.com and only then to accelerate the transfer via "transfer now"?
Look, I have started usual 5-6 day transfer yesterday when I didn't know about such quick transfers. Then I accelerated it via "transfer now" today.

Nah, I've been with Name.com since 2018 and been transferring domains out every day or week for a while now. As soon as my domain would receive a transfer out request, both options were available simultaneously, until the "transfer now" service no longer became an option for me a couple months ago or so for some reason. I was really caught off guard.

I'm glad to let people know about this service and to hear that you were able to use it on your end. But the reason why some users can do it while other can't remains to be seen...

That's why I'm still hoping Name.com could jump in and touch base with the community on this. But the fact that they're reluctant to divulge their criteria transparently on their website could mean that they might avoid logging into this forum to address this post.

Last edited:
•••
Perhaps thanks in large part to this thread, Name.com has reinstated the option to expedite a domain manually on my account by "whitelisting" it. They didn't however tell me why my account was blacklisted in the first place after I asked.
This is now how it looks when I have a domain pending transfer:
Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 1.20.57 AM.png

•••

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back