TSAS HostEstablished Member
Impact
I am looking a *****.name domain

Every other popular extension as been taken

Is it worthwile to get the .name

Thanx

Iravan

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
IMHO .name seems to be not so popular and hard to sell. Would like to know how many .name have been registered.

•••
I am going to try the 2months .name offer and then decide

•••
i think .name will never be worth its only for people to create personal website
like bill.gates.name or so on now for biz or so

•••
I've only got one .name and don't plan on registering anymore.

•••
ye its really bad

wana have a domain have it .com or net net no other

.name the firest what u think of its a free domain because its 4 chrecter extention
that is what i think of

•••
I still contend that .name will work as designer name in a few well defined categories with a select group of keywords. Geneology, Baby Name, Domain Name, Identity(security), Relative/Classmate Locators and the like. If you have or can pick something up along these lines, I think it's worth a go. I'm holding onto about 10, but developing them is not at the top of my priority list.

There are probably only about 500 +/- terms that are an unforced fit w/ .name, and even less that are really good. A great keyword + .name doesn't neccesarily, (or usually), equate w/ a good .name domain, IMHO. They will, w/o a doubt, only gain value through development, so basically forget resale, (unless you happen to catch mole on a bender or enter a parallel universe, or something like that :hehe: ); and because there are so few workable ones to go around, .name, will never be popular among resellers or the lionshare of domainers. However, there is a small, quiet group of .name proponents, w/ good names at hand and schemes in mind, and, someday, you might be surprised and see a few decent .name websites popping up. :imho:

Last edited:
•••
Hi
To be honest i wont get a .name domain name. Due to two reasons:
1) It isnt very common, unless you think of a very good name.
2) It still wont be as common as .com, .net or others.

•••
ye these are the main resons but .name which is the worst point which i said in a point yesterday is its 4 letter domain extention and no one try to guess a wwebsite using .name they only use .com .net or ,org

•••
but .name which is the worst point which i said in a point yesterday is its 4 letter domain extention
I remember hearing the same argument, about 2 years ago, used to explain why people shouldn't reg any .info names. As you can see from my above remarks, .name is no .info. In fact, I only rate it a few rungs above .tk. However, if I had Talk.tk, I would renew it w/ development plans in mind, because I think it has branding potential, despite the unpopularity of the .tk ext.

•••
IMHO you would most always be better off getting .ws or .cc rather than .name if all the normal gTLD's are taken.

•••
•••
•••
IMHO you would most always be better off getting .ws or .cc rather than .name if all the normal gTLD's are taken.
No argument there. ws has the "website" association attached and .cc is backed by Verisign. However, there is a considerable amt of cctld territory that lies between ws/cc and tk.
It also could be argued that there are keywords that may be better served by .name domains, for branding purposes, ie:

Baby.name
Domain.name,
FreeDomain.name
babygirl.name
dog.name
pet.name
brand.name
screen.name
lucky.name
search.name
keyword.name
optimize.name
drop.name
parked.name
family.name

and a couple of my own
Autograph.name
NewBaby.name
Safeguard.name
Background.name (BTW, the most highly searched of my .name domains- but no big deal and has been sporadic mo.-mo.)

Don't have anything to support this theory, other than a hunch. I admit, I may totally off base w/ this, but I'm not ready to let go of 6-10 of these, at least, for a couple of years. In general, I would tell people not to waste their time w/ this tld, but at the same time, I'm not, yet, ready to say "Uncle" to the idea that there is no commercial/branding value in .name.

Last edited:
•••
True True

What d oyou think of popular last names

Smith.name??

•••
Iravan said:
True True

What d oyou think of popular last names

Smith.name??

They are virtually all reserved by the registry for third level domain services.

•••
They are virtually all reserved by the registry for third level domain services.

So if you find one that isnt reg'd then its valuable

and if it id who would be the main buyer, or buyer group

•••
Grrilla said:
It also could be argued that there are keywords that may be better served by .name domains, for branding purposes, ie: ...

True. Wouldn't we all love to have domain.name or family.name? The ones you list are pretty good. However, good developable and usable .names are the exception rather than the rule with .name. I searched for a few in the beginning, and found it the hardest TLD to find a good fit because it's so narrow a focus. Also, a lot of the better ones are reserved by the registry.

I would find it harder to take a commericial site serious in .name than any other extension I can think of, including the open ccTLDs.

I have only registered two .name domains up to today, which are adopt.name and adoptable.name to compliment my domain sales website adoptabledomains.com. I've even had second thoughts on those. I just ran a list of names I thought might have value in .name and found and registered only one of them that may have commerical value in the short term...
Maiden.name

I now have three. I was really surprised to see that one available!

BTW, these were available, but I decided to pass on them. Donations appreciated if you find them useful.

Childhood.name
Husbands.name
Wifes.name
Spouses.name
Grandmothers.name
Grandfathers.name
SearchFor.name
RegisterA.name
Screenname.name (a bit redundant)
stolen.name

Iravan said:
So if you find one that isnt reg'd then its valuable

and if it id who would be the main buyer, or buyer group

Possibly, if you can find someone with that name who is willing to pay. However, most aren't willing to pay huge amounts for personal/family website names which is the most likely use.

•••
Adoptable, we are, really, both saying about the same thing- just coming at it from a slightly different angle, as far as I can tell.

Childhood.name
Husbands.name
Wifes.name
Spouses.name
Grandmothers.name
Grandfathers.name
SearchFor.name
RegisterA.name
Screenname.name (a bit redundant)
stolen.name

I have a list that I'll try to pull together and put out there. I've got a few that someone else might want, as well. Here, I found it. I picked most of these up during the last day of a promotion:

oops!
bestweb.name
zipcode.name
africanamerican.name
canadianprovinces.name
collectables.name
authcode.name
countrycodes.name
flag.name
greekmythology.name
greekmyths.name
monetization.name
mythicalcreatures.name
namespaces.name
norsemythology.name
registeredsexoffenders.name
romanmythology.name
romanmyths.name

I've got about 10-15 others that I'm flipping a I'm sifting through, like payperclick.name, analyze.name, deletedate.name, pendingdelete.name etc. but still haven't quite decided if they would be useful or too much of a stretch.

Last edited:
•••
Wow Nice lists!

I am glad my thread produced something so productive

Great Work Guys!

•••
That's not my main list. These are the one's I'm considering dropping or giving away. I've got about 10 keepers and these and about 10-15 others are the ones I'm considering dropping or giving away. I'll put a full list in next day ot two.

•••
Kool If your giving away I'm always ready to recieve donations ;)

•••
The first $ I ever spent and wasted in the domain name game were .names. I bought 12 and will probably get rid of all but 3.

.name was good, though, as it started me in the domain business.

•••
Well I have good news for you Mr Iravan.
If you have a good keyword .name you can get some good $$$
I sold Blog.name For $500 and Forums.name for $200
this year.
So...It even better than .ws ext or other crappy dots...
Good luck.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back