IT.COM

N00b's guide to EFFECTIVE parking & listing

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Tyrio

Impact
(Heads up: long-ish post. To avoid TLDR's, italic sections are optional if you want the deets only)

Backstory: I'm a guy who's not an active domainer, but I've long owned about 15 domains (some of them 1 syllable dot coms!) that've been costing me for years -- I was just sitting on them until that day I do a startup or business with them. I still haven't given up on that dream, but am DONE being too busy to learn how to park them for money to at least subsidize their renewal fees (and maybe break even or more)! Meanwhile, I did think about activating 'interim' ecommerce stores on each relevant to that respective domain's name and reselling products/services for an affiliate fee or merch from dropshippers then ad-promoting them... but then again, given everything else I have going in my life r.n., I'm dreading the idea of ongoing time needed for webdesign/support etc.

I've followed other threads here comparing domain parking services and to start with I've picked Bodis as my test-case. I added all my domains and pointed all my nameservers in Godaddy & Namesilo to them. I used a keyword tool to discover terms, then added under each domain in Bodis first and secondary keywords, and waited 48 hours until it doesn't say Pending Approval anymore on that. I configured all my settings, and created a Dan account because Bodis promotes them as having an integration. I went into Dan (successfully added my Bodis code) and enabled hybrid sale/installment pages for all my domains.

Where have I hit a wall? What would you do next? E.g.: Chat up Bodis support to ask why it's still ignoring the keywords I inputted, unlink or point nameservers to Dan, switch to Voodoo/others, make a couple of forum/Quora/etc post comments that direct traffic to my domains, list them on a marketplace or ten? It would really be nice if there was a simple couple of bullets 1,2,3 to do this, then that, then presto -- fire and forget and I can get back to my life sleeping in the knowledge that I've set up an effective system for passive monetization. A lot of the how-to-guides I stumbled on the net are full of ads themselves and really convoluted for the newbie.

So far, I'm not impressed by anything (albeit I know it's too early to tell). Bodis-Dan connection looks like it's doing nothing -- certainly isn't rendering on the sites a hybrid of Bodis and Dan interface (maybe I'm missing something?). All the random links served up by Bodis still have nothing do do with the keywords I populated in, and are things at least I would never see myself connecting with the domain name's meaning or ever clicking on. Looks like I have zero traffic from the dashboard after a couple of days in. I thought that in 2021 automated domain parking would have grown up and automatically serve up really convincing clickbaity image and video ads and product carousels based on your keyword instructions that fool people into thinking they landed on an actual site/shop and actually press on something instead of saying 'oops' and hitting back... but no, it still looks like it's in the Web 1.0 era. That said, I trust the process, and it seems it's still making money for people, so who am I to judge as a new kid on the block?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
make a couple of forum/Quora/etc post comments that direct traffic to my domains,

Optimizing a parked domain in any form - even something as seemingly innocuous as forum posting - is the fastest way to get the name fail listed by G and (could impact your sales efforts) definitely violates the TOS of any parking company you've engaged. If you wish to SEO a parked domain it MUST be unparked first, then optimized, let some time pass (impossible to accurately estimate how long) then repark. Even then - there is a risk that a new (late) link might appear from your previous efforts, possibly resulting in an eventual fail list.

For the sake of civility and because I'm still cleaning exhaled coffee off my screen, I'll refrain from commenting on this part of your post.
I thought that in 2021 automated domain parking would have grown up and automatically serve up really convincing clickbaity image and video ads and product carousels based on your keyword instructions that fool people into thinking they landed on an actual site/shop and actually press on something

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back