IT.COM

My thoughts on the Domain Industry

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hey all,

Some thoughts crossed my mind today, and I really have no where else to post about it.

I see a lot of noise and influence, especially on social media, about a lot of major and plausible topics like general entrepreneurship, e-commerce, real estate, crypto, stock trading, and recently, sports cards. I myself, am in to all of these things, and there's a wealth of knowledge, discussions, pod casts, vlogging, etc. In addition, there's a lot of communities and tight knit groups with in all of these spaces, and I have my own networks with in all of these areas and niches.

What I find odd is that domain investing and domaining in general gets no where near the attention it deserves, especially compared with these other areas. I just can't wrap my head around why? There's really no influencers in this community on social, and there's not many tight knit groups/communities on social media platforms, and just not a lot of attention is in this space, and I think the area deserves a lot more attention. I recently joined several fb groups on domaining, and I couldn't find a single post of quality, all a bunch of annoying spammers posting crappy domains for sale.

It's a great area, niche, and investment vehicle, but lack of awareness, attention, and desire to own premium domains is the problem. I wonder how, and if this will ever change. All you need is one influential person to start talking about domaining, and that can start something big (ie, garyvee). I'm thinking of some ways myself to bring some awareness in this space.

I guess my thought are, I just wish this was talked about more, and became a bit more popular on media mainstream and social networks. It would in hindsight benefit us domain holders/investors the most, as demand would skyrocket, as opposed to our domains just sitting on the sidelines for years waiting and hoping someone randomly stumbles across your name and wants it bad enough to make a decent offer on it.

Thoughts anyone?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hey all,

Some thoughts crossed my mind today, and I really have no where else to post about it.

I see a lot of noise and influence, especially on social media, about a lot of major and plausible topics like general entrepreneurship, e-commerce, real estate, crypto, stock trading, and recently, sports cards. I myself, am in to all of these things, and there's a wealth of knowledge, discussions, pod casts, vlogging, etc. In addition, there's a lot of communities and tight knit groups with in all of these spaces, and I have my own networks with in all of these areas and niches.

What I find odd is that domain investing and domaining in general gets no where near the attention it deserves, especially compared with these other areas. I just can't wrap my head around why? There's really no influencers in this community on social, and there's not many tight knit groups/communities on social media platforms, and just not a lot of attention is in this space, and I think the area deserves a lot more attention. I recently joined several fb groups on domaining, and I couldn't find a single post of quality, all a bunch of annoying spammers posting crappy domains for sale.

It's a great area, niche, and investment vehicle, but lack of awareness, attention, and desire to own premium domains is the problem. I wonder how, and if this will ever change. All you need is one influential person to start talking about domaining, and that can start something big (ie, garyvee). I'm thinking of some ways myself to bring some awareness in this space.

I guess my thought are, I just wish this was talked about more, and became a bit more popular on media mainstream and social networks. It would in hindsight benefit us domain holders/investors the most, as demand would skyrocket, as opposed to our domains just sitting on the sidelines for years waiting and hoping someone randomly stumbles across your name and wants it bad enough to make a decent offer on it.

Thoughts anyone?
Influencers? What about
YouTube Founder and his recent twits:
Want to change the world? Register a sweet domain.

Domains are the original digital store of value.

Startups don’t need capital or experience, they just need sweet domains. I’m setting up a fund that focuses on a domain first strategy. And don’t tell me they don’t matter because of apps... don’t believe the hype!

Source https://domaininvesting.com/youtube...vesting+(DomainInvesting.com+(Elliot's+Blog))

•••
•••
Startups don’t need capital or experience, they just need sweet domains. I’m setting up a fund that focuses on a domain first strategy. And don’t tell me they don’t matter because of apps... don’t believe the hype!
I agree. These platforms have really shot themselves in the foot as of late. Build your own presence online and own the relationships that you make with your customers. Screw using a platform that controls who can and can't view your content, whether it's app stores or social networks.

•••
Thanks for sharing. It may take some more time.

•••
Well it's a catch-22.. the poopluencers all use social media to throw the poop around. What does that tell people catching the poop?

I still think the TV with some big talk show hosts or commercials is an untapped medium for domain name awareness. GD realized this long ago, look where they are in terms of registrar popularity. Not to mention what that helped do for the dot-com extension.

•••
I think there's a lot at play here that stops the industry from gaining mainstream traction.
  1. Domains are not sexy.
  2. Domain investing has had a lot of negative press, and sometimes rightly so when there are investors who have engaged in some pretty shady practices.
  3. The process of acquiring and selling domains is a complete mystery to most people. More challenging that simply buying a stock or some Bitcoin, and there's an implication that domains are intertwined with technical know-how, which would scare off the average investor.
  4. On the surface, there's often no rhyme or reason to why a domain sells for a lot of money. The industry is quite chaotic in a lot of ways. It's simultaneously what attracts some people to it and scares others away.

•••
  • Thanks to those who are pushing the domain name industry forward

• thanks to all the domainer

•••
If you really pay close attention to what is popular on social media you will see its always get rich quick schemes.

• Shopify dropshipping - do nothing (course will show u how to do it using some extension etc), find suppliers that fill orders and just place ads on FB
  • AMAZON FBA - do nothing, find a product that sells, have someone else ship, just place FB ads
  • Resell fiverr services - do nothing, just place FB ads and people pay you 100 and you outsource for 5
  • Real estate investing, no money needed, collect rent right away
  • Start your own app (pre packaged games etc) just promote it and make money
  • Trade stocks, currency or crypto, automated bot, it will trade for you, you do nothing
  • Buy into a new coin that is going to replace bitcoin
  • Not a business opportunity, but just to confirm the theme, books and videos about the law of attraction and manifesting are very popular. The pitch is, do nothing and abundance will show up. Obviously everyone must have their own twist on it, why the others LOA course didn't work, but the twist never involves actual real work or the course wouldn't sell.
Domaining is some serious work. If I didn't enjoy the hunt and the research aspect, I would've been out of this many years ago.

This is not a get quick rich scheme by any means. The patience needed here is really not comparable to anything else.

So unless you will lie and claim you could automatically pick names from drop lists and auctions and sell within a day for 1000% profit using some bot, how do you plan on talking to people hungry to get rich quick about something like domaining?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back