My recent trip to India - .IN Usage

Discussion in 'Domain Extensions - ccTLD Discussion' started by LeDomain, Sep 2, 2017.

Replies:
Views:

1. Mr. Deleted

Mr. Deleted mrdeleted.com VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

I was thinking of getting Amish.co.in to go along with Amish.co, but also to launch the Amish Coin turns it turns out that AuthorAmish.com now has that one. The guy is some famous Indian author.

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. domaintrades

domaintrades Established Member

Nice research!

According to Livemint.com the potential for Internet users in India is phenomenal.

Number of Internet users in India could cross 450 million by June: report
    IAMAI-IMRB report says Urban India has close to 60% Internet penetration, reflecting a level of saturation, but there are a potential 750 million users in Rural India

3. Kate

Kate Thinking inside the Box™ VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Maybe, but the vast majority of people don't need a domain name, they just need an IP address to access the Internet. It's mostly businesses or bloggers and some tech-savvy persons who want a domain name. So the pool of potential end users is not 450 millions, it's much less than that.

4. Isac

Isac I choose Humanity Business Account

You are right, here value of domain still don't exist. It might take some time

5. Kate

Kate Thinking inside the Box™ VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Well it can only go up :)
    But even in developed countries, end users are reluctant to buy domain names on the aftermarket.
    Of course, there has to be a healthy primary market (handregs) before a secondary market can take shape.

6. imadoer

imadoer Active Member PRO VIP

Whats the dif between co.in and
    .in

7. Furquah

Furquah Established Member

Look at my avatar, it's tell whole story!

8. Isac

Isac I choose Humanity Business Account

IN is a primary ccTLD, there are several second level domains which comes under it

• .co.in (for companies/business)

• .firm.in (for partnership firms)

• .net.in (for internet related services)

• .org.in (for non-profit organizations)

• .gen.in (for any general use)

• .ind.in (for individuals, personal blogs etc)

9. Mr. Deleted

And?

10. Kokoro

Kokoro Established Member

Yes, but the reasoning here is:
    More users online -> more e-commerce -> more companies responding by moving online -> more domains needed -> domain prices going up.

There is no reason to think that this online evolution will be looking different in India. It will perhaps take more time as the Indian GDP per capita is pretty low, but, on the other side, the country growth is very fast.

from Wiki:
    According to a 2011 PricewaterhouseCoopers report, India's GDP at purchasing power parity could overtake that of the United States by 2045. During the next four decades, Indian GDP is expected to grow at an annualised average of 8%, making it potentially the world's fastest-growing major economy until 2050.

11. LeDomain

LeDomain Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

This is confusing for many. Here is a little history:
    - .co.in was introduced to corporations and trademark holders, a couple of years ahead of 2005, so many corporations ended up starting their online presence with .co.in domain names
    - 2005 , .in and .co.in was opened to the public
    .IN has become the go to extension but .co.in still enjoys a huge brand value and perception of being first and that many large corporations continue to use them and advertise them - Google being the prime example

So in short, ideal strategy would be to acquire both .in and .co.in versions to avoid brand confusion and traffic leak.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  12. Mr. Deleted

There is a reason for my freebit.co.in getting so many type ins, it is because of a huge website with the .in extension: freebitco.in. I just have one extra dot.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  13. LeDomain

By the way, .co.in is also popular by itself for many cryptocoin websites these days.

14. rhakim

rhakim Established Member

Great Post! Nice efforts , and great points there. Keep up the good work! Would be nice to have some info of what are the .IN prices that had been sold to end users.

15. Commerce

Commerce Business Member Business Account ★★★★★★★★★★

Fantastic research. I did note at least one of your images contained a gmail address with the company's .in url. I wish businesses would actually embrace the full power of their domains and tie their email to the url their company uses for a website domain (or at least something reflective of their own branding).

16. LeDomain

Domains that have been sold publicly can be seen on Namebio.com or other similar sites. There have been some private sales - one that Sedo had over $100k and others that I can't confirm. Personally I would recommend looking at prices for comparable .co.uk , .de and .ca and price your .in or .co.in domains accordingly.

Eventually India would have a larger market for most products than UK, Germany or Canada, but there is a learning curve for end users (Big and small companies) with their domain name strategy,

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  17. Black Sun

Black Sun New Member

Great analysis and insight. Could you please enlighten me about "Exact Matching Domains" & "Category Killer Domains" ? (since I am a beginner and not acquainted with much of the sophisticated domaining terminology) What are these actually ?

Thanks

18. Mr. Deleted

Exact match is terms that people search for on google, like "Amish recipes" and a category killer would be a name like diamonds.com that would be a little doubt about what the visitor wants to buy.

19. LeDomain

And I would add to look at India specific Words and Search Phrases for Exact matching domains. There are some English words that are used differently in India, so I would look that as well. There are many common categories across the board whether its India, US or UK etc, again there are categories specifically that have huge markets in India, so suggest looking at them as well (for category killer domains). As long as the market for the product or service category is huge, the domain name prices will reflect that in my opinion as the market matures.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags: