IT.COM

strategy My investment in domain names!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DFM

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
Hi Guys!

Since I'm new here, I'm not sure if this is the right category.
Yet , I would like to introduce my investment in domain names for 2021:

sk1n.com - bought for $ 305
freizeitsport.com - bought for € 149
zahnfabrik.com - bought for 119 €
möbliert.de - bought for 50 € (furnished in german)
lotto.bz - bought for € 49
parbook.com - bought for $ 1001
divisao.com - bought for $ 275

I will be interested in whether you have invested and in what name and whether you are using an investment strategy.

Regards

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Same situation happened here tooooo many times:

1. New member post names they just purchased and ask for opinion (should be the other way around - Ask for opinions before buying names)
2. Old members said they are crap names
3. New member said they are not crap names (that's why they bought it) and argued.
4. Both sises go back and forth
5. Both sides wasted too much time for nothing

Reasons for new members bought the wrong names:
- Listen to the wrong advices: Estibot, EMD, Monthly Searches, Past Sales, etc...

Last edited:
•••
Same situation happened here tooooo many times:

1. New member post names they just purchased and ask for opinion (should be the other way around - Ask for opinions before buying names)
2. Old members said they are crap names
3. New member said they are not crap names (that's why they bought it) and argued.
4. Both sises go back and forth
5. Both sides wasted too much time for nothing

Reasons for new members bought the wrong names:
- Listen to the wrong advices: Estibot, EMD, Monthly Searches, Past Sales, etc...

Checking past sales never a bad idea :) Especially for brandable domains.

•••
Checking past sales never a bad idea :) Especially for brandable domains.
I'll agree with you, that also counts when it comes to pricing.

•••
Welcome to NP

A few pointers for you.

Having a quick look through the names, it looks like you have fallen into the reg frenzy trap that most new domainers fall into. Buying this many names in your first year is far too many, especially without any sales. Dont buy 50 or 100 names thinking you will sell them all, it wont happen, buy 1-5 names and try and sell them, if you cant sell them, dont buy more, research and learn what you are doing wrong. Just remember if you sold a domain now for $15K, you havent made a profit if you add up what you have spent and your renewal costs.

Spending 14,500 is far too much for a new domainer, set smaller goals, invest say $500-$1k and buy a couple of decent names and then try and sell them for decent profit to end-users. If you do manage to sell them, reinvest that money into more names. If you dont have a good understanding of what makes a name valuable and how to find end-users, you will end up with a lot of names that wont sell. I would spend a few months reading this forum before buying any names. Check our Namebio.com and DNJournal.com to see what type of names sell.

Check and make sure you have a whole list of potential buyers before buying a name, its not use having a name with no buyers? Biggest mistake domainers make is thinking the buyers will come to them after buying an average domain. This wont happen unless you have really good names.

Don't hand register any names, email owners of decent names and find a bargain. These names are available for a reason.
Don't buy names and then just park them or put up a landing page waiting for a buyer.
Email potential buyer individually and ask if they are interested.
Its always better to spend $100, $200 or $500 on 1 or 2 names that will at least sell, rather than 50 or 100 average names that will end up expiring. Quality of Quantity
Focus on a niche you are familiar with
Focus on a laguage you are familiar with, translating english words directly to german words doesnt always work, ask German speakers on here. Don't buy .DE names unless you understand the German domain market.
Focus on getting the best .COM names in a niche, even if you have to pay a bit more.
Stay away from .LA, IM, Org, MD, and especially those gtlds as well like .Deals, Kaufen, Credit etc, most end-users have never heard for them. A lot of new domainers say they believe they will take off, remember its what end-users do, not we what domainers believe, have a look at the Gtlds sales over the last few years. Stick to what sells.
Shorter is better in domains, most of the time anyway
Dont mix numbers and letters
Stay away from hyphens
Stay away from company names/Trademarks

Any offers you get on these, sell them and learn more about the industry and then reinvest. The 5000 and 2.200 you got offers would be fake offers or appraisal scam offers, not real offers.

These domain dont sell, they are fake offers, the reason they dont get paid for is its just people placing fake bids or hitting the BIN button with no intention of buying the name. These are not legit buyers who decide to back out of a deal. Dont count them as legit offers.:xf.wink:

Hope that helps
Good luck
people like you are really great. Made such a big comment to teach someone.!!!

•••
Some of the domains posted by the OP are fine, but I don't really get the value proposition on some of the prices paid.

Brad

•••
•••
Hi,
sk1n.com is a good domain, 14 years old.

•••
U own DFM.com? I gave you a private message.

•••
Some of the domains posted by the OP are fine, but I don't really get the value proposition on some of the prices paid.

Brad
Hello Brad,

Thank you for your contribution. In the beginning mistakes are made until one has learned.

•••
U own DFM.com? I gave you a private message.
No, unfortunately not. These are the first letters of my company: Dynamika Facility Management

•••
Don't buy names and then just park them or put up a landing page waiting for a buyer.
Hi

guess i been doing it wrong for years.

:)

seriously though, @gilescoley gave some good advice, from his perspective.

some domainers spam potentials, with emails trying to sell their domain names.
and they have adopted the term "outbounding", as an adjective to describe the practice.

and within this practice, since most newbies have little experience and knowledge , then the domains they send will likely be low quality, fresh hand regs and/or mix of new gtld extensions.

however, in contrast, there are many others, like myself, who prefer to "wait for a buyer" and while waiting, our domains are parked on a ppc page or a sales lander.

if you don't park your names, then how will you really know their "enhanced" value, beyond the perceived or "as is" value?
i say, get to know your domains, before you try to sell them off to somebody else.

and we're not going to even talk about "leverage" when it comes to waiting for offers.

imo...

•••
Back to investing in domain names.

I recently got the domain
parbook.com

Bought at auction for € 1,001.00. Why? Because the seller said to me: "I am also a visionary like you" ...

ParBook is par (tner) + book and probably the other side of the coin:

Parship
Facebook
ParBook

I admit the whole thing is pretty confused, but as an inexperienced domainer, believe in this name.

A platform with this name can become known over time.

Some of the forum members have criticized the fact that so much money is invested in such a meaningless name.

Again, the seller said to me: "I am also a visionary like you" ...

That's why I bought them, seriously!

•••
Bought at auction for € 1,001.00. Why? Because the seller said to me: "I am also a visionary like you" ...
Hey, I've got this name, tinyhats-forlargesizedmen-2019.biz, that I'm selling for only €1,000.

Would you like to buy it? I'm a visionary just like you!

•••
Hey, I've got this name, tinyhats-forlargesizedmen-2019.biz, that I'm selling for only €1,000.

Would you like to buy it? I'm a visionary just like you!
@DrJacoby: Quiet my friend ... A little decency wouldn't hurt you. Stop that nonsense !!!

Last edited:
•••
@DrJacoby: Quiet my friend ... A little decency wouldn't hurt you. Stop that nonsense !!!

Hi

actually, i agreed with his post
not criticizing the name, but...
the way you stated it, made it seem like "the seller" convinced you to buy it,
rather than you choosing it on your own, like from a random list of keywords, ending in "book"

so, don't hate, appreciate... the different perspective

imo...

Last edited:
•••
sk1n.com is nice
Hi,
sk1n.com is a good domain, 14 years old.
It is a good doma1n name.

The beneficial fact that the digit "1" has absolutely nothing to do with the letter "i" while our brain instantly reads it (and will always read it) as "i" when placed accordingly
(like in this case) is clearly its power.

Another benefit is that the digit "1" implies "first" which has (at least in most cases) naturally a higher expressiveness than "second" or "third" and so on.

So although the letter - / number - combination "sk1n" has absolutely nothing to do with the word "skin", our brain reads it (and will always read it) instantly as "skin" while knowing at the same time very well it says "sk1n".

This (interesting effect) is not the owner's (nor anyone else's) fault, it is just an attractive semantical circumstance.

PS

I own the letter - / digit - combination "doma1n" + "domai1nname" in .top (and both in .com as well) but it has absolutely nothing to do with the word "domain" / "domainname" although our brain ... the same I wrote above.

Last edited:
•••
It is a good doma1n name.

The beneficial fact that the digit "1" has absolutely nothing to do with the letter "i" while our brain instantly reads it (and will always read it) as "i" when placed accordingly
(like in this case) is clearly its power.

Another benefit is that the digit "1" implies "first" which has (at least in most cases) naturally a higher expressiveness than "second" or "third" and so on.

So although the letter - / number - combination "sk1n" has absolutely nothing to do with the word "skin", our brain reads it (and will always read it) instantly as "skin" while knowing at the same time very well it says "sk1n".

This (interesting effect) is not the owner's (nor anyone else's) fault, it is just an attractive semantical circumstance.

PS

I own the letter - / digit - combination "doma1n" + "domai1nname" in .top (and both in .com as well) but it has absolutely nothing to do with the word "domain" / "domainname" although our brain ... the same I wrote above.
Hi,
thank you for your contribution. In fact, such domains are interesting and can have a certain value, and they appeal to the digital generation in a contemporary way. The effect of the immediate inclusion of the 1 in i can be beneficial.

•••
Hi,
thank you for your contribution. In fact, such domains are interesting and can have a certain value, and they appeal to the digital generation in a contemporary way. The effect of the immediate inclusion of the 1 in i can be beneficial.
The difference between the letters that surround the 1 can also be observed. so doma1n is better than l1ving.

•••
The difference between the letters that surround the 1 can also be observed. so doma1n is better than l1ving.
Absolutely.
Good point / example.
Visual contrast can be decisive.

•••
welcome to NP
  • Domain name investment also needs to be cautious

• and good luck to you
  • have a nice day

•••
Just shy of 2k in the hole and no inventory see the problem still got nothing to sell.

•••
Hi

guess i been doing it wrong for years.

:)

seriously though, @gilescoley gave some good advice, from his perspective.

some domainers spam potentials, with emails trying to sell their domain names.
and they have adopted the term "outbounding", as an adjective to describe the practice.

and within this practice, since most newbies have little experience and knowledge , then the domains they send will likely be low quality, fresh hand regs and/or mix of new gtld extensions.

however, in contrast, there are many others, like myself, who prefer to "wait for a buyer" and while waiting, our domains are parked on a ppc page or a sales lander.

if you don't park your names, then how will you really know their "enhanced" value, beyond the perceived or "as is" value?
i say, get to know your domains, before you try to sell them off to somebody else.

and we're not going to even talk about "leverage" when it comes to waiting for offers.

imo...

Hey @biggie ...I guess it depends on the names you buy. As you know, the "buy and wait" method wont work if you hand-reg average names (or worse) and put up a lander. You will have a long wait. I think you have enough experience and knowledge to know what sort of names sell. :xf.wink: If you get the right contact at the company and you email him directly, to me thats not spam, thats business. I do see a lot of domainers sending out 1 mass email to 100s of potential buyers with a bunch of domains, this is spam and will just get deleted by whoever receives it.:xf.frown:

Last edited:
•••
Sk1n and doma1n are definitely good holds.

Doma1n could have so many logo possibilities for Domain One or something.

I, personally, wouldn't risk it on either because well lol... just not my thing.

But I agreed with jacoby. That seller just had good selling negotiations. ParBook might be good, but definitely nothing to spend over $100 acquiring.

•••
Welcome to NP and enjoy your journey.

I agree with some posts that you overpaid for some domains. I personally will not pay that much for parbook because it means nothing to me (unless I'm missing something).

It looks like you have some money to play with so my advice is to invest in decent domains that actually make sense.

Good luck

•••
Sk1n is cool
ParBook was overpriced in my humble opinion
I started domaining about a year ago and had the frenesy sickness, but thanks god i started with Squadhelp and they rejected hundreds of bad names i submitted (1 dollar for every review)
The first time a name i submitted got approved as a premium i was very happy.
I was able to sell some names in my first year on SH and on Namepros and i had a profit. i was lucky and when money came i really needed it, it was a gratifying feeling. It was very strange that i was not expecting the first name i sold to be sold and i completely forgot that i had this name. you will be surprised which names sell sometimes, but it doesn't mean any name has a great potential to be sold.
You seem to be a cool guy DFM
please use Godaddy appraisal/ Estibot/ Namebio/ and read as much as you can about domaining, (Namepros is great) and take a look on your statistics on your registrar or on the marketplace you sell on, number of views.. etc..
I'll give you a humble advice. try to buy some good pronouncable 4L.com for less than $300 and list them on Dan or Squadhelp/ afternic and do the other job you do.. The one you did before starting domaining.. till you get an offer. in my opinion it's the safest method.
Best regards and stay safe and may this year be the start of something terrific for all domainers

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back