Dynadot

information My First Sale | After 1 Week domaining - 2 in 1 day!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Daniel Moran

Established Member
Impact
Hi all
I just wanted to introduce myself to domaining community here and talk about my first sale which came quicker than I expected!

I have always been fascinated by the world of domain flipping but never really made the next step in actually getting involved. For the past few months I have been reading articles, listening to podcasts and looking at listing on the various marketplaces.

Last week I decided to take the plunge and invest a few hundred euro in some domains.

My strategy:
I live in Ireland and have been following the sales of the dot ie extension for a while now. I made a list of dictionary dot ie words that would have end user appeal and that were still available and crossed referenced that with a list of industries/individuals that I thought would be open to buying. My goal here was to leverage my knowledge of the Irish market (my background is in advertising and media buying) so that I could sell the dot ie domains and reinvest that money into buying more generic domains that would reach a wider audience - .com, .net, .org and .co were the areas I wanted to invest in.

• I created a sales letter for each domain that was tailored to each industry. A handful of the domains could function cross-industry and I didn't want the reader to think I was just copying and pasting.
  • I amassed a list of contacts for various business using hunter.io to find email addresses and cross-referencing those email addresses against LinkedIn profiles so that I could be reasonably confident I was talking to a decision maker in the business.
  • I set up my domains on the usual market places including DAN, Afternic and Sedo (Sedo seems to do quite well for dot ie)
  • Once I had the domains set up and the contact list for each finalised, I began sending outbound emails and linkedin messages.
  • Note: At this point I knew I was new to world of domain investing and didn't really expect any return this early but whether something sold or not I was going to learn something and that's always beneficial!
I was surprised when I got an email back from a marketing manager in one of the businesses. She was willing to pay my asking of 5k and wondered if we could come to come arrangement as she was eager to acquire the name quickly - I handregged the domain for 5eur and had sold a domain yet so I was willing to negotiate. However, when the marketing manager showed her hand by telling me she needed the quickly I knew I had some leverage. I told that I could let it go for 4k if she could agree there and then otherwise I could have to follow up with her competitors before I made any further decision. She said she would lodge 3.5k to my bank account by lunch time - I agreed :)

The same day on my domains on Sedo sold for a 220 eur. Again, hand regged for 5eur.

Domain Investment on sold domains: 10eur
Sales: 3720eur

Needless to say I was hooked!

I know it wont always happen like that but it was an extremely beneficial learning experience :)
Thanks!
Dan

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
it has some kind of creditability
because he negotiated himself down
it would be hard to invent
Thanks for commenting and letting me know your opinion twice.

•••
•••
Most don't share their winning formulas and over time you will develop your own secrets but thank you for sharing.

•••
Hi Dan,

my irish seems to be really bad,
as I understand you negotiated yourself down from agreed $5 K USD to $3.5 K USD
stupid me

must be euros ..
still puzzled..

That's actually a good sales strategy. Price high & offer a crazy discount if action is taken within a limited immediate time frame..

If the person is already sold/highly considering the product, the exclusive price offer will 99% of the time convert them instantly..

This is done a lot in TV infomercials where they offer you multiple item bundles with bonuses at far lower than the market value.. but only if you call in the next 5 minutes.. Well in these cases they are focused on long term & acquiring cheaper customers who they'll market to again. They didn't have you phone number when you bought from the store, but now they do and can reach you directly..

•••
Hi all
I just wanted to introduce myself to domaining community here and talk about my first sale which came quicker than I expected!

I have always been fascinated by the world of domain flipping but never really made the next step in actually getting involved. For the past few months I have been reading articles, listening to podcasts and looking at listing on the various marketplaces.

Last week I decided to take the plunge and invest a few hundred euro in some domains.

My strategy:
I live in Ireland and have been following the sales of the dot ie extension for a while now. I made a list of dictionary dot ie words that would have end user appeal and that were still available and crossed referenced that with a list of industries/individuals that I thought would be open to buying. My goal here was to leverage my knowledge of the Irish market (my background is in advertising and media buying) so that I could sell the dot ie domains and reinvest that money into buying more generic domains that would reach a wider audience - .com, .net, .org and .co were the areas I wanted to invest in.

• I created a sales letter for each domain that was tailored to each industry. A handful of the domains could function cross-industry and I didn't want the reader to think I was just copying and pasting.
  • I amassed a list of contacts for various business using hunter.io to find email addresses and cross-referencing those email addresses against LinkedIn profiles so that I could be reasonably confident I was talking to a decision maker in the business.
  • I set up my domains on the usual market places including DAN, Afternic and Sedo (Sedo seems to do quite well for dot ie)
  • Once I had the domains set up and the contact list for each finalised, I began sending outbound emails and linkedin messages.
  • Note: At this point I knew I was new to world of domain investing and didn't really expect any return this early but whether something sold or not I was going to learn something and that's always beneficial!
I was surprised when I got an email back from a marketing manager in one of the businesses. She was willing to pay my asking of 5k and wondered if we could come to come arrangement as she was eager to acquire the name quickly - I handregged the domain for 5eur and had sold a domain yet so I was willing to negotiate. However, when the marketing manager showed her hand by telling me she needed the quickly I knew I had some leverage. I told that I could let it go for 4k if she could agree there and then otherwise I could have to follow up with her competitors before I made any further decision. She said she would lodge 3.5k to my bank account by lunch time - I agreed :)

The same day on my domains on Sedo sold for a 220 eur. Again, hand regged for 5eur.

I know it wont always happen like that but it was an extremely beneficial learning experience :)
Thanks!
Dan

Awesome. Just wondering how many messages you sent before getting the sale & was it via LinkedIn or email?

•••
Awesome. Just wondering how many messages you sent before getting the sale & was it via LinkedIn or email?
Hey - Alot of messages :p I am sure most them ended up in Spam. It was via direct email. I used hunter.io to get all the email addresses on the site, then checked linkedin to match the job title to the email.

•••
•••
•••
Congratulations... Sleek Strategy tough ;)

•••
•••
•••
Hi all

My strategy:

Thanks!
Dan
Congrats Dan....so you're an "outbound" marketing guy.(y) I absolutely luv the way you went about creating and registering domains/names that were targeted for a market/industry you were already familiar with. Yours is by far the smartest and most innovative approach I've seen since I got into this business a little over 2 years ago. Thanks for sharing your background is in advertising and media buying.

While my background is not in advertising, I've been told I'm pretty damn creative. As a business guy, I know your approach and your strategy as you call it is spot on. Gradually I'm surrounding myself with talent similar to you, and once I have my ducks in a row I'll be turning my domain portfolio into gold:xf.wink:

Thanks again for sharing:xf.smile:

•••
Congrats Dan....so you're an "outbound" marketing guy.(y) I absolutely luv the way you went about creating and registering domains/names that were targeted for a market/industry you were already familiar with. Yours is by far the smartest and most innovative approach I've seen since I got into this business a little over 2 years ago. Thanks for sharing your background is in advertising and media buying.

While my background is not in advertising, I've been told I'm pretty damn creative. As a business guy, I know your approach and your strategy as you call it is spot on. Gradually I'm surrounding myself with talent similar to you, and once I have my ducks in a row I'll be turning my domain portfolio into gold:xf.wink:

Thanks again for sharing:xf.smile:
Thanks for the kind words and best of luck with your sales, always important to be creative :)

•••
•••
How many domains did you register in total? It is nice to show 10 EUR made you 3k+ but what about the rest which did not sold yet?

•••
How many domains did you register in total? It is nice to show 10 EUR made you 3k+ but what about the rest which did not sold yet?
I bought about 12 domains, some hand regged some from auctions.

•••
Congrats and thanks for the info! GL with future sales :)

•••
I bought about 12 domains, some hand regged some from auctions.
Curious? Was the 3k+ sale a hand reg or an auction purchase? Also, you said you purchased your domains based on a predetermined criteria for you target. Can you share any of the particulars involved? I'm actually looking to buy/purchase a domain where NamePros is my target. This should be an interesting test to see whether they're interested?

Again, thanks for sharing your experience Daniel and Happy Belated St Patrick's Day where; "It's a Lovely Day for a Guinness:xf.smile:"

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back