IT.COM

My experience with Sedo escrow - Incompetent

NameSilo
Watch
You'd think that with several years of experience and millions of dollars in domain sales under their belt that Sedo would be expert at handling a simple escrow transaction and domain transfer...

I've sold two domains privately recently and decided to use Sedo.com escrow for peace of mind for both buyer and seller. They managed to screw up both transactions which could've quite easily resulted in lost sales.

The first transaction for a EUR x,xxx domain saw them firstly attempt to invoice the fee to the buyer, even though I expressly stated that the seller would be paying the fee. This caused considerable discomfort for the buyer who thought I might be trying to pull a fast one and embarrassment to me as I recommended using them in the first place. Only after I forwarded a copy of the email I sent to Sedo did the buyer realize they were just plain incompetent. But it didn't stop there. They then set up the transaction in USD and for the same amount which meant the value of the sale was considerably less. Is it really so difficult to read an email? So the transaction had to be put on the system a third time, more apologies had to be made to the buyer and fortunately everything went ok after that.

You'd think I would've learned my lesson but, thinking it was just bad luck, decided to use them again a week ago for a mid $xxx sale. Incredibly, they attempted to invoice the fee to the buyer again (even though I stated the seller was paying) and put the buyers name on the system incorrectly so it had to be put on again. The buyer told me all of this by email. You'd think they'd hire people who could actually read and write.

When the push to their Moniker escrow account was complete, they then instructed the buyer to provide their GoDaddy push information or initiate a transfer away to Moniker, even though the domain is already at Moniker. IS THIS SOME KIND OF JOKE? Can they not even be bothered to check where the domain is registered before providing instructions? Do they actually care? Maybe they got it confused with another domain I sold to a different buyer at Sedo on the same day (same Sedo agent), but either way, it's not acceptable, very unprofessional and embarrassing for all parties and causes unecessary worry to my buyer who might be thinking I'm trying to screw him over. Not a good experience at all >:(

Finally, my rep didn't even bother to reply when I requested via my Transfer Center that the funds be converted into GBP before sending. This will likely result in my bank receiving the funds in foreign currency and levying a handling fee in addition to the currency conversion fee which could've quite easily been avoided. I guess this simple request was just too much trouble for them.

Can anyone recommend a reliable and attentive escrow service where the domain as well as the funds is taken into escrow?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I've never used them but I hear Escrow.com is reliable. I've heard lots of stories like yours about Sedo. Hard to believe that a big company like Sedo would drop the ball like they do.

You'd think that with several years of experience and millions of dollars in domain sales under their belt that Sedo would be expert at handling a simple escrow transaction and domain transfer...

I've sold two domains privately recently and decided to use Sedo.com escrow for peace of mind for both buyer and seller. They managed to screw up both transactions which could've quite easily resulted in lost sales.

The first transaction for a EUR x,xxx domain saw them firstly attempt to invoice the fee to the buyer, even though I expressly stated that the seller would be paying the fee. This caused considerable discomfort for the buyer who thought I might be trying to pull a fast one and embarrassment to me as I recommended using them in the first place. Only after I forwarded a copy of the email I sent to Sedo did the buyer realize they were just plain incompetent. But it didn't stop there. They then set up the transaction in USD and for the same amount which meant the value of the sale was considerably less. Is it really so difficult to read an email? So the transaction had to be put on the system a third time, more apologies had to be made to the buyer and fortunately everything went ok after that.

You'd think I would've learned my lesson but, thinking it was just bad luck, decided to use them again a week ago for a mid $xxx sale. Incredibly, they attempted to invoice the fee to the buyer again (even though I stated the seller was paying) and put the buyers name on the system incorrectly so it had to be put on again. The buyer told me all of this by email. You'd think they'd hire people who could actually read and write.

When the push to their Moniker escrow account was complete, they then instructed the buyer to provide their GoDaddy push information or initiate a transfer away to Moniker, even though the domain is already at Moniker. IS THIS SOME KIND OF JOKE? Can they not even be bothered to check where the domain is registered before providing instructions? Do they actually care? Maybe they got it confused with another domain I sold to a different buyer at Sedo on the same day (same Sedo agent), but either way, it's not acceptable, very unprofessional and embarrassing for all parties and causes unecessary worry to my buyer who might be thinking I'm trying to screw him over. Not a good experience at all >:(

Finally, my rep didn't even bother to reply when I requested via my Transfer Center that the funds be converted into GBP before sending. This will likely result in my bank receiving the funds in foreign currency and levying a handling fee in addition to the currency conversion fee which could've quite easily been avoided. I guess this simple request was just too much trouble for them.

Can anyone recommend a reliable and attentive escrow service where the domain as well as the funds is taken into escrow?

•••

Escrow.com :D

•••
I've never used them but I hear Escrow.com is reliable.

While I have used both escrow and sedo without major issues, it's important to know the difference between the two services

Escrow.com, despite it's name does not provide a "true" escrow service.

•••
Escrow.com :D
I was asking for recommendations of a reliable and attentive escrow service that takes the domain as well as the funds into escrow. Escrow.com do not take the domain as well as the funds into escrow.

Since the seller could theoretically manipulate their system without actually transferring the domain, I'd prefer not to use them.

So if anyone has any constructive comments to make, i.e. good experiences with other escrow companies that do take the domain into escrow, please share them here.

Thank you.

Last edited:
•••
Based on past threads about this similar issue, your next closest bet would appear to be Moniker escrow.

•••
I was asking for recommendations of a reliable and attentive escrow service that takes the domain as well as the funds into escrow. Escrow.com do not take the domain as well as the funds into escrow.
Moniker ?

Edit: didn't see the post above :)

•••
PayPal offers both buyer and seller protection. You can just send them an invoice, they pay, you transfer the domain. Beats Sedo. IMO.

•••
PayPal offers both buyer and seller protection. You can just send them an invoice, they pay, you transfer the domain. Beats Sedo. IMO.

Wrong. Paypal's TOS states that their protection plans do not cover non-tangible goods.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/terms-outside#consumer_protection
VII. Consumer Protection Programs

1. In general. PayPal's consumer protection programs, consisting of a Buyer Complaint Policy and a Seller Protection Policy as defined below, are designed to try to help buyers recover funds from sellers who do not ship the promised goods, and to reduce the risk of reversals for sellers who follow specified risk-reduction procedures. The Seller Protection Policy is also designed in part to reduce fraud by encouraging users of the PayPal service to become Verified, as described above. Verification, in conjunction with our other proprietary authentication methods, lowers our company's financial risk and allows us to provide the consumer protection policies listed below. Please note: PayPal's consumer protection programs only apply to tangible, physical goods which can be shipped, and excludes everything else, including but not limited to: intangibles, services, quasi-cash and all non-tangible, non-physical goods.

Last edited:
•••
I've used Sedo,Escrow.com and Moniker.com escrow services.
Moniker.com solution is by far the best one.

•••
Transpact.com, Europe's leading escrow service, gives complete configurability to your escrow requirement.

Whilst not escrowing the domain or website itself (only the funds for the transaction), since you stipulate exactly what protection you require for those funds, and what determines when they go on to the seller or back to the buyer, you can build the most bullet-proof solution for domain transfer possible.

Note that Transpact.com does not charge a percentage fee, but since it is a mass-volume system it charges a very low (negligible) fixed fee, making it even more economical.

•••
I am confused.

Why do you tell sedo about all this via email? Don't they have a form for that?

I once got somebody bidding for my domain. I accept for experience sake. Turns out the domain is already expired. I lost my sedopro account. They allow me to be in on sedo.com but it's so difficult to test things out I leave for bodis.com

I missed being able to sell domains. However, very few domains ever got sold anyway.

•••
This has never happened to me yet, but what if the transaction never gets consummated and the buyer's money gets returned. So your domain which is under escrow account, will be locked with a fresh 60-days period? So this means, if the domain gets returned to you, you cannot do another escrow for the same domain within the next 60 days?

•••
Last edited:
•••
I had a problem with sedo escrow too. Emailed them price and mention that it includes sedo fees. But buyer received invoice with final sum + 3%. As a result we had to restart entire process.

•••
I felt sedo escrow did unfair..i have been even getting more news of disputes between buyers and sedo..
feels bad to know that that even reputed companies act this way..
i can suggest you to apply buyers at godaddy as there code is conduct is better than sedo also try at paypal..!!
take care

•••
SEDO escrow services suck big time. I recently sold a domain via Sedo, and believe me, I'm never repeating this mistake twice. No matter how good the offer is, I'm never selling through Sedo again.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back