legal My domain KITCHN.com saved in UDRP

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

AbdulBasit.com

DomainsWeb.comTop Member
AbdulBasit.com
Impact
Hello and Assalamo Alaikum,

First, I would like to thank Mr. Howard Neu for accepting this case and later defending it successfully the domain KITCHN.com which is one of our prime properties.

Let me tell you some background before I shall tell you about the case in detail.

In October 2015, the law firm representing Kitchn.no contacted me for the purchase of my domain and started offer from $100 up to $7,000 to which no interest was shown.

Next in June 2016, the complainant filed UDRP on our domain Kitchn.com and Mr. Howard respresented me to defend and save the valuable domain.

Today, we got the news of winning the case.

Below is the detail:

“In a 3 person panel decision, the UDRP Claim for Kitchn.com was denied at WIPO. In the case of Kitchn Norge AS v. Abdulbasit Makrani, Case No. D2016-1189, a Norwegian company that held the Norwegian trademark for KITCH’N was too limited to a specific area (Norway and Sweden) as to apply to Bad Faith on the part of the Respondent Abdulbasit Makrani. Here are some of the relevant excerpts of the decision:

The Panel notes that, at the time the disputed domain name was acquired by the Respondent, the Complainant had been trading in Norway and Sweden for some 18 years, had been the proprietor of the Norwegian trademark No. 221252 for KITCH’N for some 11 years and also appears to have been selling through the Internet for almost 2 years.

There is no evidence that the Complainant’s trademark might have been used outside Norway and Sweden and the Complainant’s website clearly targets consumers located in Norway since it is entirely in Norwegian. Moreover, a Google search for “kitchn” shows several results unrelated to the Complainant and its mark.

The records indicate that the Respondent is a professional domain name registrant and acquired the disputed domain name through an automated process immediately after the original registration lapsed. As highlighted in previous cases, the automated nature of the acquisition cannot be an excuse for turning a blind eye to trademark rights, since otherwise it would be the “perfect shield for abusive registrations”. SeeResearch In Motion Limited v. Privacy Locked LLC/Nat Collicot, WIPO Case No. D2009-0320.

However, particularly given the nature of the disputed domain name as a contraction of the dictionary term “kitchen”, the Panel finds that nothing in the case file indicates that the Respondent had ever known of the Complainant’s rights or that the Respondent registered the disputed domain name to capitalize on the Complainant’s mark.

This finding is supported by the fact that the use of the disputed domain name does not show an intention to target the Complainant or its competitors, as the links displayed on the website published at the disputed domain name are mainly related to cooking recipes and not to the Complainant’s trademark and products.

Instead, in the case at hand, there is no evidence that the Respondent might have registered the disputed domain name with the intention to sell it to the Complainant or to trade off the Complainant’s mark. Therefore, the Panel also finds that the Respondent’s refusal of the Complainant’s offer for the disputed domain name and his request of a higher sum do not amount to bad faith.

In view of the above, the Panel finds that the Complainant has failed to demonstrate that the Respondent registered and used the disputed domain name in bad faith.”

The Respondent AbdulBasit Makrani was represented in this case by the Law Office of Howard Neu, P.A.

I wanted to convey a message to all people around the world, I will try my best to defend my properties and won’t let them go easily.

Any feedback is welcome.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think another thing that played a role, which is could have been a miscalculation by the company could have been considering your geo location of PK on whois, and weighing the benefits of you not having the funds to defend yourself.

Yes, that can definitely be a possibility BECAUSE I have been hit with 2 UDRPs in the past which the law firm of complainant found out by searching the database of WIPO and mentioned that in recent case and said I was involved in registering domains with bad faith.

There were couple of main reasons behind those 2 UDRPs for not defending.

1. Those domains were not that important for me to fight and defend.
2. Lack of funds.

Now I will defend all my domains no matter how high or low quality of name it is. It's about my reputation and when I am capable enough to fight back, why not save myself and my fellow domainers. This win surely helps in someway to our community.

•••
•••
Are you saying they offered you $7K, and how did you counter it? What were you expecting to get realistically?

•••
@john_karr
Many thanks John!

@Joe89
Thanks bro

@rivey001
Are you talking about Kitchn.no?

@wot
Even if they were recognized internationally, things would have remained same because the links displayed are different to what their business is.

@URLU
Thanks yeah :)

@Sulabh Sharma
I just wanted to save my premium domain which is worth a lot to me.

@bashariqbal
Thanks Bashar bro. Yeah, exactly, because expenses occurred while defending the name so things will be different next time.

@wwwweb
Since they offered $100 till $7,000, my response was simply "NOT interested".

@gbs domain
Well, I was pretty much positive to win because we have chosen 3 member panel instead of going with 1 which of course cost me almost double! There should be penalty on complainants who lose the case or the finding is RDNH.

@DNScholar

@wesley sweatman
Absolutely! Very much :D

@RTM
I didn't even knew about them until they filed complaint against my domain. But surely this domain will and always was going to cost more else their offer of 7K would have been accepted.

@drsheraz
Thanks Sheraz :)
As I went for 3 member panel, the cost for WIPO and lawyer altogether was $3,500 excluding what incurred at my end for sending funds.

@ZapNano
Yeah, right. Thanks!
A good lawyer + 3 member panel is the way to go. Costly but effective.

•••
Domainers should join as a community and create a non-profit donation website for people who cannot afford to defend UDRP. (just a suggestion)

Congrats AbdulBasit :)

•••
Congratulations Abdul. Glad everything worked out for you.

•••
•••
Yeah, I know of that website being a cook myself. Great news!!!

•••
Interesting the reference to "links" referring to recipes, simply appears to be a landing page for DNS indicating the name for sale and not a website? Lucky the company were only active in Scandinavia otherwise some landing page links could have redirected to them and then a different story perhaps.

Anyway, fortunate save thanks to a good domain lawyer on your side.

•••
Congrats @AbdulBasit.com Now it got pricier for them to own it. I think that you will get a much better offer on this name.

•••
congrats....Tell us your experience or hassle you went thru.....

•••
•••
Nicely done @AbdulBasit.com

Well played indeed.

Good that you stood your ground and didn't back down. Congratulations on the well deserved win!

•••
I actually took the time to check out this companies website, it is really to bad, they chose to waste their time via this process, at the same time they could have put the legal fees +7K towards a purchase, but I don't know what you quoted them.

Usually if you go like $40-50K, and stay firm on talks, it can sometimes lead to a hail mary as they tried here.

There site works with their country code, they just made things harder for themselves now, we still need a loser pay system though.

•••
Unfortunately that doesn't happen to any respondent in case they win. The system need some major changes and I wonder when is that going to happen... The outcome was I will retain my domain.
The best case I refer to in such a situation is one with ClearCare.com, after the loss the domain was bought for $140K, before that I think they had offered half that amount.

So in a best case scenario you will get your funds back on the eventual sale, as they have now burned their bridges, and must bite their tongue.

•••
Congrats! Companies have to learn that they can't terrorize domainers to give up what's rightfully theirs. I hope you'll make them pay a generous $XX,XXX sum for it.

Thanks!

As new companies are always establishing and generally they won't be understanding the mechanism of domain names so better is to improve this system by imposing fines to complainant who lose and heavy fines to those who end up getting label of RDNH. That will surely reduce the number of complaints overall and will think several times before filing against any domain owner.

•••
I don't think I actually congratulated you but well done. I know the feeling, back in 1998 I won a court case against a major Malaysian company who were trying not to pay me a bonus, I had left them at the time and had to beg and borrow to raise the money to defend the case, over $20,000 but I won, and got costs.

It is scandalous that the system currently does not allow such a simple thing,would likely discourage some companies by going this route.

You make a good point Wot, but I remember Mike Berkens saying to me that since most of the time the company wins, the domainer would be paying their costs. I am not sure everyone wants a system where costs are paid.

It's tricky, the system needs to be improved like money for RDNH. Companies do not care if they are called a reverse domain hijacker by the domain investor community, if it cost real money they would probably care.

•••
This is why domainers have to be careful about championing a loser pays system, you did not defend two names that I take it you lost. So you would have had to pay them for those two losses. The pendulum swings both ways, I am willing to bet that corporations are in favor of a loser pays system, they win way more than they lose.

Congrats on your win with Kitchn.com.

As much as people hate it the system does, quite often, work. Until there is a better alternative domainers have to realize that they often operate in a gray area with gray rules. The best solution will never be the most equitable one and there will always be those who take advantage of where there is leeway but your point is valid. I don't recall a "Domainer Cybersquatting Hall of Shame" or a "Dubious Domainer Victory Hall".

In this case the advantage was a knowledgeable lawyer who would no doubt have given OP a fair valuation of success. Most domainers don't understand very basic TM laws in the US let alone the full scope of the UDRP. The UDRP is also not the final end point. There is the further opportunity to undertake that far more expensive and proper legal process if desired so even if it's imperfect it's not the end.

That end is a symmetrical system where you have what is wanted - if you lose you pay up and lose the domain and pay damages (potentially) ... if the complainant overreaches there are similar punishments. There are also different judgement criteria :)

Taking a name like Kitchn.com it's now got a UDRP history, an international trademark and no matter what anyone thinks it's a burden on the name. In fairness to future buyers this case needs to be remarked upon which stops the pure investor chain which isn't a big deal to OP as he was clearly not looking for resellers anyway. It does limit the market looking forward. All that's the reality of working in a unique namespace (ignore all the TLDS) with non-unique TM and company namespace. Kitchn sits right in the middle of that generic/brand name that will simply render it contentious :)

Last edited:
•••
You might have been through the bad time but finally you made it. Congratulations on successfully defending it! Hope you are well.

•••
what a relief, I'm sure. kudos

•••
Interesting story... so, you're hoping for a bigger end-user client than them to offer well more than $7K , is that the strategy?

•••
Yes, that can definitely be a possibility BECAUSE I have been hit with 2 UDRPs in the past which the law firm of complainant found out by searching the database of WIPO and mentioned that in recent case and said I was involved in registering domains with bad faith.

There were couple of main reasons behind those 2 UDRPs for not defending.

1. Those domains were not that important for me to fight and defend.
2. Lack of funds.

Now I will defend all my domains no matter how high or low quality of name it is. It's about my reputation and when I am capable enough to fight back, why not save myself and my fellow domainers. This win surely helps in someway to our community.

This is why domainers have to be careful about championing a loser pays system, you did not defend two names that I take it you lost. So you would have had to pay them for those two losses. The pendulum swings both ways, I am willing to bet that corporations are in favor of a loser pays system, they win way more than they lose.

Congrats on your win with Kitchn.com.

•••
Registration Date:

Kitchn.no= 2002
Kitchn.com= 2000

For many panelists, that does not mean everything. If you got the name in 2014, some see that as a reset, and that you the new owner acted in bad faith. Nothing is 100%, the UDRP is complex it's not 1+1=2 sometimes it might be 1+1 =3.

•••
I'm not so clear on this. If the name is at Uniregistry but is owned by someone in the United States then it is more difficult for a complainant to win a UDRP just because Uniregistry is located in the Cayman Islands? Or does the registrant actually have to have a physical address in the Cayman Islands? Or PO box in the Cayman Islands?

The thought is that a someone with an address in GC is likely either (a) Rich (b) Connected (c) Both. Contrary to this, someone with an address in Pakistan (or other is presumed to be relatively poor. The offer could be made with that in mind. A wealthy lawyer living on a yacht will turn down an offer others can't afford to turn down.

Similarly, filing against an apparently low income registrant (not legally qualified etc.) seems imminently more winnable than someone who is (a) (b) and (c) above.

It doesn't/shouldn't impact a UDRP decision in anyway.

I don't understand the comment earlier on Uniregistry as a registrar impacting legal proceedings and the burden of proof. The UDRP is a binding agreement and compliance is required.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back