Dominion.Domains

My 2017 Sales Update

Labeled as sales in Domain Beginners started by SBS66, Jan 8, 2018.

Replies:
Views:

1. SBS66

SBS66 Established Member

Hello everyone,

In late 2016 I posted the sales for that year. So I thought I would provide an update for 2017.

2017 was dismal for me in terms of sales. They totaled only $1,032 for 4 domains, and net profit of $918 on the sale, not counting renewals of other names. I haven't finished crunching the numbers for the year, but I'm pretty sure that I ended with a loss of maybe about $200$300.

I knew going into 2017 that I wouldn't have as much time to market in the first 2 or 3 months. That proved to be true for the rest of the year; part of it was my practice and part was traveling. I still have not come up with a way that I can scale: it doesn't make sense getting someone to market anything I own until I get better at picking names and marketing them myself. (As I like to say, I'm not in business to lower the US unemployment rate or that of any other country).

So, by March 2017, I decided I was better off pruning my "portfolio." I started the year with 365 names, and I ended it with 303, which includes 3 that I regged for my business.

I suspect 2018 is not going to be different from 2017 because it has also started strong. There is no way I can dedicate 3 hours 2 or 3 times a week as I used to in 2016 to marketing plus an hour each day looking for names.

But this domain bug doesn't let up, so I will continue learning about names, keeping up with sales, etc.

I hope everyone has a healthy and profitable 2018, with a lot of good health thrown in.

As always, I thank all of the NPros who always contribute knowledge. Thanks!

Vivian

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. Celebrating

Celebrating Girl, who likes Anime VIP

congrats with your sales!

3. SBS66

SBS66 Established Member

Thank you. I'm trying something new (for me) this week. It looks promising.

4. MetBob

MetBob Established Member

Thanks for the detailed report, and also congratulations on your four sales during the year. I understand what you are saying about pruning a portfolio a bit. I now have about 140 and finding that too many to really keep track of, even with Efty which helps a lot. I hope to be back in the 75 or so range by the end of this year that I view as more manageable for me. Best of luck for sales in 2018!

5. SBS66

SBS66 Established Member

Thank you @MetBob

Yes, having too many becomes unwieldy to manage and market. I only use GD to cut down on the "managing" issue--too many registrars are a distraction for me.

6. DBurn

DBurn Established Member

Thanks @SBS66 for sharing - I'm looking to shed a lot of domain names this year, have over 200 now listed in auction at low prices.

7. siravi

siravi Established Member

Thanks for sharing it an congrats on your sales.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!