Dynadot

(MUST READ) GoDaddy feed their own auctions?

NameSilo
Watch

erchaman

Top Member
Impact
¿IS GODADDY FEEDING THEIR BIDS TO GET A DIRTY PROFIT?

What just happened to me is to start thinking godaddy is using their auction platform to speculate and lie to customers.
Here is my history:
-See a expiring domain on godaddy auctions ( which is already owned by godaddy )
-Decide to bid for 20$ to domain couponion.com
-Last minute go overbided by X, so I start up my bids, 30-40-50-60-80-90 and I decided to stop.
So it seems someome placed a high price.
-Finally bid won at 90$ by unknown bidder.
-The following days noticed couponion.com is again for sale , guess where, afternic ( godaddy company too ). For 99$ !!!!!!!!
- 9$ more only! Do you think a reseller will only put 9$ more?
-I start thinking godaddy is feeding their own domains. I upload some files , can someone convince me that godaddy is not playing that dirty game?
Judge by yourself , here some files about the process.

AUCTION END:

C218587D-629E-41F8-B391-D1F5E57E5F05.jpeg

DOMAIN SUBMMITED ON AFTERNIC LATER:
3888362A-E4F9-4D09-B504-9DA6DF3049E9.png

WHOIS IS TO AFTERNIC OF COURSE
A94E743C-EE0D-4722-B7BC-62EF9A8D9A5E.jpeg

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
explanation - follow this post
Thank you. Read it. Still wondering who bid the auction to resell for 9$ dollars more only.
Always happens suspicious things in that company. It is like phone company. Big marketing. Big seo position. You are a newbie and start buying. When noticied where the hell did you joined you run away to other company. As I am reading in all post talking about this GD, everybody is doing the same, getting away their domains into another registar.

•••
GD's NameFind LLC bid on GD auction $90 to list the domain for $99 on Afternic ???

•••
Th
GD's NameFind LLC bid on GD auction $90 to list the domain for $99 on Afternic ???
godaddy=afternic.
All my bids wins with my last bid, I mean If I decide to stop at 100$ the bid winner will be 100$ won by someone else.
Easy, it is supose, “someone” feed the bid until “X” expected, max. Profit incase bidders reach reserve of “someone” . If not, the domain will be listed anyway later on my brother afternic. Suspicious...
Don’t forget there are domains expired owned by godaddy/afternic, so they will try to take profit before domain drops.
The question is not: Is godaddy bidding for later sell on afternic?
The question is : In case it is supossed godaddy is bidding on their domains to feed max price on a singular buyer.... if the singular buyer did not reach the reserve, godaddy won the auction, the it needs to set on a marketprice. Guess where, the godaddy own marketplace, afternic. So they will never lose nothing...

Last edited:
•••
I think the only way to end the suspicion is for ALL auctions on the major platforms to cache the whois before and after -- through a third party whois caching service. Currently you have to pay $50 for a bad whois history report that won't cache on the dates you need most. Internally each auction platform should be comparing before and after whois data to help identify who is gaming the system. Flags could be raised via both automated SQL matching and user contribution - click to report.

GoDaddy uses a couple of well known sub-companies to both hold their own and other peoples domains, and, to aid in the transfer process. To me they need a better way to identify which is theirs and someone else.

Whois 'privacy' seems to be a hot topic. After going through this I fear the trend to bury whois info ever further might be a mistake. Using the beloved domains as property analogy, property ownership records are generally searchable by the public. Yep, I just looked up motor vehicle and real estate taxes for people I know. Full name and address, payment details. Individuals can form an LLC to keep things more private.

How is a domain name any different?

Per the ICANN docs:

https://whois.icann.org/en/primer#field-section-3

Accuracy

Because registration data connects individuals or organizations with domain names, domain name registrants are required to provide accurate and reliable contact details. If the domain name registrant knowingly provides inaccurate information, fails to update information within seven days of any change, or does not respond within 15 days to an inquiry about accuracy, the domain name may be suspended or cancelled.

For their part, registrars are required to comply with the new WHOIS Accuracy Specification. They must verify certain WHOIS fields such as email addresses or phone numbers and validate the presence of data as well as the format of email addresses, postal addresses and telephone numbers. Registrars are also obliged to send annual data reminder notices to domain name registrants and to verify and validate changes to WHOIS data.

Registrars are obligated to perform these validation and verifications of these WHOIS data fields within fifteen days of the domain registration, inter-registrar transfer, or any change in the domain name registrant. However, if a registrar has already successfully completed the validation and verification procedures on the identical contact information, and is not in possession of facts or knowledge of circumstances that suggest that the information is no longer valid, then it is not obligated to re-validate or re-verify these WHOIS data fields.

•••
I think we are as clear as we can be - the whois there says Afternic transfer service - transfer pending. It is moving to the buyer. It doesn't say NameFind (nothing else - meaning we own it) It says transfer pending. It is moving.

•••
I think we are as clear as we can be - the whois there says Afternic transfer service - transfer pending. It is moving to the buyer. It doesn't say NameFind (nothing else - meaning we own it) It says transfer pending. It is moving.
Thank you for your comments. That's not enough to prove godaddy is not feeding the auctions. Still suspicious all good names I bid just stop when I stop incrementing the bid. Do you think a reseller will purchase Couponion.com ( 90usd bid won ) + like 30usd for .com renewall to offer on afternic for just 99 usd? SUSPICIOUS. Like all other names I bid. I would want to get my suspicious deleted, but worse things I have heard about registars, in particular the one we are speaking about. So sorry.

•••
Maybe but it doesn't appear to be for sale for $99 currently. And that would make sense because if the old owner had it set for $99 and let it expire they would no longer own it after the auction was over. At which point the new owner could list it again for more.

•••
@Joe Styler

Question, since GD changed their redemption period to 30 days as of December 4th - i was under the assumption i would get the name right away after winning and exp Auction with GD - it still shows i have to wait about 8 days until it hits my account.

•••
We did not change that part of it. We may in the future but for now it works like it used to.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back