Dynadot

Most of the big premium domain sales have no sites years later

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I just spent over an hour looking up domains that sold over 2 years ago for over 10k. Almost every domain goes to either a parked page or doesn't resolve. Many that do have sites are domains that were purchased as a rebrand etc.

Two plus years is enough time to build something even if you go through the regular process of a few bad developers.

What is the reason so many buy expensive names and we do not see anything happen development wise.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I just spent over an hour looking up domains that sold over 2 years ago for over 10k. Almost every domain goes to either a parked page or doesn't resolve. Many that do have sites are domains that were purchased as a rebrand etc.

Two plus years is enough time to build something even if you go through the regular process of a few bad developers.

What is the reason so many buy expensive names and we do not see anything happen development wise.
Some over $10k domain sales could be from resellers or collectors

•••
Same, have chk most sold domains and they are parked, give error or redirect.

Maybe those sales were another trap to cause hand regs in same niche by domainers. Cause I myself did it a couple of times.
I remember when I joyned NP some old member said "are the domains on rise again" or something, it's like for him was a surprise to see so many newbies flooding the NP forums.

I personally did not sell any domain in this 3 years only was able to liquidate some, nothing more.
Will leave a note to registrars and those popular domain sellers, if I don't sell any domain in the next 7 years, prepare, because you have no idea what Chaos I will bring into your lives and biz!

P.s. facebook is still breathing, we need to make it drown, but then there are other platforms which must be liquid-ated. :D

Last edited:
•••
Find any clothes pegs? What about wayback any history?

Last edited:
•••
There was a post a while back about Mike Mann's sales. One of the domains that caught my eye was one that sold for 15k. The post was from August of last year and that domain is still not resolving. Crazy if you ask me.

•••
One I sold for 5 figures still points to Dan. I did some sleuthing and it appeared the buyer, a start-up, had launched on a different name, thus having no use for my former domain.

I wish they would return it to me for free :xf.smile:

•••
I would love to know the stats on how many domains are purchased by other resellers/domainers... I would bet more than 50%?

From a business perspective, as an end user I can certainly see buying a domain simply to prevent someone else from using it or building it. I might have a website already, likely do, however controlling the domain name and making sure one of my competitors is not using it is just as good as me using it. =)

I recently sold a domain myself for just under $3k... to what I believe is the end user... looking to see if they ever do anything with it or I will be able to hand reg it or drop catch it. lol.

•••
•••
Probably because "expensive" could be subjective.. Depending on one's worth, dropping 10k or 100k on a domain is the same as many of us hand-regging for some sort of future prospect. I do agree though, it is somewhat baffling to see large amounts (to us) being invested and nothing done with with the domain years later.

I remember selling a domain for 2 or 3k a few years back, and hand-registered it again like the following year. Lol.

•••
Checked that too on domains at 50k+
I'm surprised from such a low dev ratio

•••
Checked that too on domains at 50k+
I'm surprised from such a low dev ratio
Hi

the dollar amounts that "domainers/resellers" have at their disposal, has increased dramatically over the years.

as they/we sell some domains, then they/we buy more.
the cost to purchase quality has increased alongside increases in capital for acquisitions.

that to me, would explain the low dev rate for names that sold at higher pricing,
compared to what some might consider above "reseller" norms.

i still get some clicks on a couple of names sold in the past, where the buyers never changed nameservers.

imo...

Last edited:
•••
At least Voice.com (record) able to pivot NFTs, still king!

Last edited:
•••
maybe its the tld owners arranging sales of their own names.. for promotion... exposure... publicity... the things we do for money.. I mean love .. ;) I think we already had couple.scandals in.past.. if memory serves well

if u have millions as
tld owners u can play all kinds of tricks.. to make more millions...

•••
I came to conclusion that, some of such premium domains are not developed on purpose, might be and agreement to give space for existing platforms.
Such domains can be owned by Google, Facebook, Twitter etc, so that no one will own them to overthrow their own popularity, that is what I was thinking.
Currently I do the same tactic with one niche, to secure my own topness.

•••
The majority of my sales remain parked, however there are a few that are in use like D.r.o.w.z.y.c.o.m (SH sale).

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back