IT.COM

Most of last year's Namescon sold domains are parked!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
In last year’s Namescon auction, 87 of the 134 names sold, and you can check out all the results at this post from TheDomains. The auction brought in just shy of $1 million in total sales — $990,851, to be precise.

Here is how some of those domains resolve:

HomeCare.com for $350,000 – This one sold before the live auction, and a site is live. The site describes itself as, “the best way to find a caregiver. Our team of Care Advisors helps you find, interview, and hire professional caregivers at a great price.”

Wine.Club
for $140,000 – Parked, under privacy protection, and listed for sale at $349,977.

CarAuctions.com
for $90,000 – Parked, owned by NameFind.com of Cambridge, MA, per Whois.

Susan.com for $34,000 - Currently owned by NextEngine Ventures LLC of Burbank, CA and parked.

HGU.com
for $17,000 – A Chinese language site is live, and the domain appears to be an upgrade from HGU.cn.

Paperback.com
for $12,000 – A site is live, and a screenshot is below. Shane and I bid on this one together last year, and although we weren’t the high bidders, it’s nice to see it put to good use.

Other domains that sold in the auction like TIK.com, VIL.com, SexEducation.com, etc are all parked.

http://domainshane.com/whats-happening-last-years-rotdnamescon-domain-sales/
Source

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Wine.Club for $140,000 – Parked, under privacy protection, and listed for sale at $349,977.

This kind of things raise doubts. Whether they are real sales or just to raise euphoria about an extension.

I used to occasional see high sales related to .info & .biz extensions.

It is good if someone did research on such sales...how they are used after that?

•••
I would agree that after ten years in this industry that I have serious doubts about certain reported sales that just do not make sense. True it only takes one buyer but I believe there needs to be more follow-up of reported sales and domain sales report audits similar to what one sees for publicly-traded stocks. How many domain investors are buying domains with certain keywords or LLLLs or NNNs or in certain TLDs because they see that a similar domain sold for $$$$$$? Winning public auctions often ends up being a huge waste of capital and that side of the equation needs to get more visibility than the rare flips which get more press coverage than they deserve (they do not represent typical results).

•••
I have bought names, actually I'm still buying names and many are still undeveloped. I plead guilty.

Domain names may be undeveloped for plenty of reasons: loss of motivation/interest, project more difficult than expected, changes in personal circumstances, changes in company structure, death, illness...
But I think there is also one good reason: many sales being from one domainer to another. The new holders are waiting for an end user that will materialize one day, or not.

That being said, I am absolutely certain that domain names are used as a vehicle for money laundering.

•••
That being said, I am absolutely certain that domain names are used as a vehicle for money laundering.

Bingo! - This is happening left, right and centre.

•••
Im going to namescon this year for my first time. How do i grt more information on how to submit my names to the auction and find out what else is going on to be as involved and as active as possible. There is no line-up or schedule of events or anything up online on the site that i can see

•••
Winning public auctions often ends up being a huge waste of capital and that side of the equation needs to get more visibility than the rare flips which get more press coverage than they deserve (they do not represent typical results).

BINGO!

•••
Remember Travel.Agency sales?

Now it is redirected to jdjdjdjdjdjdj.com

Under Privacy Protection.

Too many people trying to make a name for themself by providing fake sales reports, shill bidding and so on.

They are basically scammers, thieves, and crooks.

•••
I have bought names, actually I'm still buying names and many are still undeveloped. I plead guilty.

Domain names may be undeveloped for plenty of reasons: loss of motivation/interest, project more difficult than expected, changes in personal circumstances, changes in company structure, death, illness...
But I think there is also one good reason: many sales being from one domainer to another. The new holders are waiting for an end user that will materialize one day, or not.

Just curious, I would think domains would be terrible vehicles for money laundering because you can't use cash, unless it's local sale. Everything would be done electronically with banks tied? Perhaps I'm not aware of the bigger picture here.

•••
It's not just cash that is laundered. Sometimes you want to transfer money between entities or even from offshore to onshore or the other way round. Or you want to blur the money trail. Domain names are the perfect vehicle for this as they are not tangible items and ownership can be concealed, making them harder to track.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back