IT.COM

Most domains for sale here are not good

NameSilo
Watch

brianbrytus

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
99% of domain names that i see people posting on here are not good at all. I often wonder why people register them in the first place. Its so rare for me to come across a domain name that actually interests me and when I do, they want way more than what it is actually worth. I also see lots of domains on godaddy auctions sell for way more than they are worth. It seems like domain names are overpriced, except for some of the extremely good ones, one word .com's that often sell for a fair value given their quality and development potential, etc. I would think that in a place with lots of avid domain name enthusiasts, there would be more pickiness when it comes to what people register and sell and not expect outrageous prices for some names. Its so hard to come by a good deal. I made a forum post in the wanted section looking for a good quality .com worth developing with a budget of $1000 and every reply i got had really bad names. A lot of them didnt even make sense. Why is it so hard to find a good domain at a reasonable price? There are so many great domain names floating around but i see mostly bad ones on here. I dont think i am too picky or cheap, i will spend a lot if it is a great name.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
How valuable a domain is can be very subjective and depends on how much end user is willing to pay. and it needs just one such buyer.

I have sold at least 10 domains for low to mid XXX that i had unsuccessfully listed here at NP for $3-5.

Also if one goes by your logic and perspective then not just here at NP, any and every where most of domains for sale would not seem good.

•••
•••
Take a look at some of the "entire portfolios" being offered for sale here recently, thousands of domains that are, as the title mentions, "not good."

•••
McDonalds makes more money selling low quality burgers than butchers make selling fillet steak. :)

•••
But what if the cost of maintaining all those crappy hamburgers eats up the paltry profits on the few that might sell?

Also, yours is not even an apposite analogy in that the cost of maintaining the crappy hamburgers (such as for example .xyz domains, and other oddball extensions) may actually be higher than for the fillet dot coms.

Let's not fool ourselves into thinking that all dot coms are fillet either - seeing rows and rows of misguided crappy dot coms for sale too.

Last edited:
•••
Many amateur people on this forum selling garbage domains. I'm better off looking through deleted/available domains than trying to find a decent one here. Again, 99% of responses I get when I put a wanted post asking for specific names, even if I have a $1500+ budget, are pure garbage, I make better deals finding domains listed on sedo and making an offer. Most of the people on here aren't selling at reseller prices, a lot are people from India or somewhere that buy a crappy domain for a few bucks and try selling it to you for hundreds.

•••
The thing is the majority of those selling or posting regularly here are quite new to domaining and most are still learning. Don't begrudge these members without offering any kind of constructive criticism to help them, in my opinion. Most of us bought absolute turd names at the start until our eyes were opened. (Granted, a rare few exceptional people over the years).

It works both ways too, I have seen posts like "Pronounceable LLLL.com wanted, max budget $100". Yeah good luck with someone sending you actual good pronounceable LLLL .com's for $100. (Not directing this at you OP, just giving an example of the type of requests I have seen in the past).

If you have serious money, and I mean proper end user money, then I have contacts who own tens of thousands of domains. These contacts will rarely sell for reseller prices but if there is something you're after for a project then it maybe better to seek out longer term members here like myself who may have access to the contacts you need.

Last edited:
•••
Yes brianbrytus there is blame on both sides. I recently noticed someone offering to buy "good" "one word" dot coms "paying up to $20."

https://www.namepros.com/threads/is...o-get-a-good-name.1045200/page-3#post-6399026

What would be nice is if these end users who refuse to pay over a few hundred dollars understood that the domains being sold for at or under a few hundred are often crappy ones that were just bought for $8. and are now being pushed for $300.

•••
99% of domain names that i see people posting on here are not good at all. I often wonder why people register them in the first place. Its so rare for me to come across a domain name that actually interests me and when I do, they want way more than what it is actually worth. I also see lots of domains on godaddy auctions sell for way more than they are worth. It seems like domain names are overpriced, except for some of the extremely good ones, one word .com's that often sell for a fair value given their quality and development potential, etc. I would think that in a place with lots of avid domain name enthusiasts, there would be more pickiness when it comes to what people register and sell and not expect outrageous prices for some names. Its so hard to come by a good deal. I made a forum post in the wanted section looking for a good quality .com worth developing with a budget of $1000 and every reply i got had really bad names. A lot of them didnt even make sense. Why is it so hard to find a good domain at a reasonable price? There are so many great domain names floating around but i see mostly bad ones on here. I dont think i am too picky or cheap, i will spend a lot if it is a great name.

OK, so why would I want to sell my best names to the sharks at namepros?

I would want to sell my bad names to some of the amateurs though.

Enough said :xf.grin::xf.grin::xf.grin:

•••
You may say that, but then every now and then someone comes along and posts his ENTIRE PORTFOLIO here and among thousands of names each is worse than the other and no better than the "bad names" you mention above, and that are referred to in the title of this thread.

By the way, most of those misspelled names are "bad" in my book.
https://www.namepros.com/threads/aged-domains-question.1046474/page-2#post-6403101

https://www.namepros.com/threads/aged-domains-question.1046474/page-2#post-6411314

https://www.namepros.com/threads/sold-my-first-5-figure-usd-name.1053743/page-5#post-6470758

Last edited:
•••
that buy a crappy domain for a few bucks and try selling it to you for hundreds

If they were always pricing their crap for hundreds, I'd call it endusers paradise. As a matter of fact, many of them think that they are "new" Rick Schwartz or Frank Schilling and price their domains in 5-6 figures. I saw this myself, when somebody who I know offline tried to purchase an aftermarket domain and considered a few alternatives, but finally called me and asked how to proceed. "Average" replies he received were something I'd never imagine to be possible (such as somebody from India representing himeself as his own broker and stating something like "if you cannot make six figures offer then the domain is not for you, and I will not tell you the price"). He bought it for <$100 on godaddy expired auctions as I found on namebio (and, honestly, overpaid - the domain was OK for no-bidding closeout only). We ended up with handregging a super perfect .com which (I'd never beleive this) was available... one evening of brandstorming = mission completed.

Last edited:
•••
The big marketplaces might be where you find the most 'premium' names, but that's their thing. namePros is more a of a community than a sales platform. There are some very good names for sale on here too though, you just have to sort out the wheat from the chaff.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back