IT.COM

Most domains for sale here are not good

NameSilo
Watch

brianbrytus

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
99% of domain names that i see people posting on here are not good at all. I often wonder why people register them in the first place. Its so rare for me to come across a domain name that actually interests me and when I do, they want way more than what it is actually worth. I also see lots of domains on godaddy auctions sell for way more than they are worth. It seems like domain names are overpriced, except for some of the extremely good ones, one word .com's that often sell for a fair value given their quality and development potential, etc. I would think that in a place with lots of avid domain name enthusiasts, there would be more pickiness when it comes to what people register and sell and not expect outrageous prices for some names. Its so hard to come by a good deal. I made a forum post in the wanted section looking for a good quality .com worth developing with a budget of $1000 and every reply i got had really bad names. A lot of them didnt even make sense. Why is it so hard to find a good domain at a reasonable price? There are so many great domain names floating around but i see mostly bad ones on here. I dont think i am too picky or cheap, i will spend a lot if it is a great name.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Worth is subjective as is if a name is good or bad.

As far as the market here I think people keep their best names for end user prices not for this reseller market.

I went back and looked at your request. If someone paid $300 to $500 for a very good and or aged two word generic why would they sell it to you for $1000? A super good name on the reseller market does not come cheap anymore.

People are going to offer you names they are willing to part with in your price range and not what they consider their best names.

•••
I've personally sold over 350 names in here and if you check the reported sales thread, in every week there are a few reported sales of names picked up here for 10-20$ and sold for 3-4k, or there are instances where a name could not be sold here for 3$, but was sold for 4k a few months later. I've had a few names that could not find a buyer here, but they were sold for over one hundred times more to end user. If you check the other threads, were everybody is complaining by the absurd demands in the 'wanted' section, then you will notice the big difference between what you as a buyer would want to pay and what prices sellers are looking for, to sell their names.

•••
Domain names are a strange commodity. They can be manufactured by an idea, and the creator can have a distorted concept of value. For example, take two words like "bicycle" and "fish", both are great search words, but if you combine them into a search phrase such as " bicycle for fish", you don't add the two search counts together, but end up with a meaningless phrase. Well that is until somebody comes up with a new hobby or product. Image a bicycle with floats and a rear paddle wheel - that could be a great exercise machine. If you then add a trawl net behind it, then you could catch supper whilst you exercise. Suddenly BicyclesForFish.com is a six figure domain name. This is probably a slightly ridiculous example, and is intended to illustrated a point, rather than a suggestion for a name registration. :)

•••
I agree that many domainers register really bad names. With that said, in a free market, the value is what anyone is willing to pay.

For me it was kind of absurd that a LLLL.com with totally random consunants, including ”q” and ”z”, could sell for 2500 dollars just a year ago. Still there were people out there willing to pay just that.

•••
I agree that many domainers register really bad names. With that said, in a free market, the value is what anyone is willing to pay.

For me it was kind of absurd that a LLLL.com with totally random consunants, including ”q” and ”z”, could sell for 2500 dollars just a year ago. Still there were people out there willing to pay just that.
We can agree that the value is very subjective. Around a year ago you liked a ngtld from my list, but you would not have paid more than 25$ for it, but I've sold it a few days later for 125$, to another reseller. So, the same domain, 5 times difference in reseller value and both of you are doing great, each with his own strategy. Also I can give examples of domains that were listed here for 2$, because they were expiring and nobody wanted to pay a few dollars, but were sold for hundreds or even thousands to end users, some of them when they were in the grace period. For me these are the sweetest sales, when you want to drop a name and it's sold to end users during the grace period, I've sold 4 of them this year.

•••
•••
Simply put, it is difficult for 2 domainers to trade with each other :) There is large mismatch in expectations of the secondary market.

Seller wants close to end-user pricing . Buyer wants cheapest possible value so he/she can flip with great return. Both are tough negotiators. Problems are compounded with more competition, high renewal costs, reg costs, large number of new TLDs, difficulty in breaking even and good domains grabbed by drop catchers.

I get good domains when i buy for my clients with end-user pricing but not much when trying as a reseller.

•••
I agree with you @brianbrytus
This is one of the examples https://www.namepros.com/threads/birdmeat-me-1.1051695/ Birdmeat.me for sale!!
I only come to this forum just to read the news not to buy domains.
So, you don't like to make any contribution to this forum, but somehow you think that you should be the one who can criticize the others and their names. Also, as far as I remember, it's not just immoral but also against forum rules to try to post anything that could devalue an item or hinder a sale from taking place successfully.
As in every market, there are very bad names and very good names, pointing just the bad one's( which are not yours) will not help anybody. Just last week, was sold a name for mid xxxxx and at least three low xxxxx in the last month. Also, in every month there are tons of xxxx and xxx sales, so if other thousands users can find value in these names, maybe your the one who has a problem.

•••
There are a number of reasons for registering names. I've got about 50 that I reg'd to taste, but I don't want any more. I'll list them here at $10 each, and let people pick and choose. Just looking at the names as a character string doesn't give the full story about a name though.

•••
•••
Damn.. bicyclefish.com is taken.
I looked at the site - bicycle fish will never be the same for me with mermaids like this.
dana_pic_n.jpg

•••
•••
99% of domain names that i see people posting on here are not good at all. I often wonder why people register them in the first place.

Not that I am any sort of expert on what a good name is or not, I know I have I have plenty of pigeon shit and yes, value is subjective but one of the things I notice here is that many names are registered in English that when you look at the name it is obvious English is not their first language. Pperhaps they don't even really any grasp how words or letters fit together and they really have no clue that what they registered makes absolutely no sense. They got the keyword in mind, know what they want to say, but in making a domain name something gets horribly lost in the translation. That probably accounts for more than half of the bad names I see here.

•••
There are names many people like but willing to pay xxx, and there are names few ppl like but willing to pay for xxxx.

•••
i agree there is a lot of crap...lots of it!

but i just sold a name for $2k that i bought here for $10. so it's a matter of finding those gems among the garbage.

•••
Well, like my linked post above mentions...it's not just on the selling side. It's not just that garbage is being offered for sale.

It's that the want-to-buy buyers are offering to pay pennies on the dollar expecting to receive gems, and then act surprised when all they are offered is garbage. But what do they expect when they are offering to pay a fraction of market value?

But of course, as urlurl mentions, there are exceptions. Sometimes a gem or a gem-in-the-rough is offered for sale, and sometimes a decent offer-to-buy for a good domain results in a closed sale.

Last edited:
•••
Domains for me is like collecting fine art, especially when the artist has died the pieces becomes very unique. Such is the case with LLLL domains, there are no more variants that can be generated. So 10 years from now the ones you paid $700-1200 for will be $7000-12000. That's just the name of the game.

•••
•••
I guess I’d have to agree since I’m logged in mobile right now and no signatures are visible.

•••
I guess I’d have to agree since I’m logged in mobile right now and no signatures are visible.
You might be able to see signatures if you tilt your phone to 'landscape'.

•••
That's a handy tip - thanks for posting that. It works well on my phone. :)

•••

On a newer iPhone with iOS 11 this merely splits the screen in half with history bookmarks etc. on the left half.

•••
Okay so lately most (not all) of the domains listed here are beyond bad.

•••
The real question should be, does OP know a good name when he sees one.

•••
Back