IT.COM

More than 20,000 .XYZ dropped today

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Fancy.domains

Top Member
Impact
Hello,

According to Domainpunch's statistics, more than 20,000 .XYZ were dropped today. Far from a surprise, but maybe worth to mention. Are these the Network Solution drops?

They are probably not available to register for quite some time yet.

Ps. I just check the ones with up to 5 characters and all (maybe except 2 or 3) were just nonsense.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What's the most popular .xyz website in the world?

•••
•••
One of those drops were me..YAHHHHH!

•••
Don't be so happy you never know what's in the future because I believe this happend to .com as well back in the days

And people were just flipping .coms until big sales came in.

the game has changed eversince

•••
Don't be so happy you never know what's in the future because I believe this happend to .com as well back in the days

'back in the day' .coms were $70 each just for registration - which is about $100 today.

•••

I would be more than happy if .XYZ would become a investment success, as that would make me rich. :D

•••
20,000 out of 1 million a few days after the 1st anniversary is less awful than I was expecting. hehe

•••
Hello,

10875 more dropped today... It makes it: 3-4% drops in two days.

My intention in neither to bash, blame or praise .XYZ. I like solid facts based on data. Regardless if it will benefit me as a domainer or not. Knowledge and data is king and it's probably not a good idea to base everything on hope in this business.

AND, just because many are dropping their horrible (or "free") names, it has very little to do with the future success of the extension. I am just interested in this data.

•••
20,000 out of 1 million a few days after the 1st anniversary is less awful than I was expecting. hehe

IIRC the big free domain / really cheap domain promotions didn't start right away - those probably haven't expired yet.

•••
•••
.xyz sunrise started march 20th
general availability started june 2nd, 2014.

The report was the first day had about 18,000 registrations.

Assuming they were averaging about ~20K registrations a day back then, dropping 20K domains in one day isn't a good sign for .xyz

•••
In a few months we will know if the amount of drops are reducing XYZ stats to below 500,000 total regs, or not. I would be somewhat impressed / surprised if it would stay above half a million.

Anyhow, this is a domain that engages people. ;)

Ps: A very nice XYZ-website: http://flystay.xyz

•••
Yep, big drops. Domain Punch has the same numbers as Namestat - https://namestat.org/xyz

913,892, never actually hit a million

Never really checked out the Domain Punch site, just knew some people were using the software for their domains. Check out the top new gtlds sites, the xyz, be careful with that. Very first one, some redirect to something I had to close my browser for, didn't want to pick up any potential malware. It was some 3 number .xyz. The second one was a blank page. These sites were based on Alexa rankings, which have always been gamed.

Last edited:
•••
I do like .xyz - I work a lot in cartography and I'm aware of the meaning of these three letters.
But I guess not everybody is aware of its significance.
Once you interpret this as a synonym of location - knowing your place in the world - it becomes much more interesting.
But alas, I mumble.

•••
I do like .xyz - I work a lot in cartography and I'm aware of the meaning of these three letters.

That's your problem right there.

They never touted this as coordinates - they claimed it was a generic extension that could mean anything.

The problem is that to almost everyone it means nothing.

•••
Once you interpret this as a synonym of location - knowing your place in the world - it becomes much more interesting.
But alas, I mumble.

Coordinates (x y z) also works for 3D and maths

•••
...whaddya want for nuthin'?...

•••
But alas, I mumble.

xyzzy would have been better - as it would have meaning both to early BSD geeks and linear algebra geeks, as an easter egg TLD.

•••
I'd prefer .syzygy, because it would be about astronomy and 99% of the public would never spell it right.

•••
Whoomp There It Is

Hello,

According to Domainpunch's statistics, more than 20,000 .XYZ were dropped today. Far from a surprise, but maybe worth to mention. Are these the Network Solution drops?

They are probably not available to register for quite some time yet.

Ps. I just check the ones with up to 5 characters and all (maybe except 2 or 3) were just nonsense.

•••
sounds like a lot of great keywords were droppped

xyz is cheap to get now

Last edited:
•••
just a thought .. since the giveaway
to promote xyz a lot of people actually invested in xyz
so xyz is a combination between false regs and true regs
false regs to drop

what is left ? it must be significant number

•••
Dot com for me.Used to it since forever.Wont put my money into xyz.

•••
Dot com for me.Used to it since forever.Wont put my money into xyz.

I'm not a domainer. I can't tell what kind of a domain name is going to gain in value and what is not, though this forum has inspired me to try a few because it seems like a good mental exercise to try and figure it out.

But anyway for the new gTLDs what I as a system administrator / php hacker have been telling people, get the dot.com if you can but for the ngTLDs there is value in the ones that have meaning, metadata if you will.

jazz [dot] radio - in the near future I suspect will be worth more than jazzRadio [dot] com.

That's the example I like to give even though .radio does not yet exist.

But what does .xyz mean? Absolutely nothing.

I buy cheap junk domains to make demonstrations for clients, often I use their domain name but a junk cheap TLD. Marketing tactic, they like to see their domain name, makes them like my work.

When .xyz is cheap, it can be used that way, but for production I just don't see the value. It means even less than .com does, so if going with a ngTLD why the hell would I choose .xyz ??

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back