Dynadot .com transfer sale, only $10.12 with coupon code DYNA12, available while supplies last, ends October 1, 2026.

Mis-Spelled domain lessons

Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
SpaceshipSpaceship
SpaceshipSpaceship
Watch

Fleege

Established Member
Impact
21
The Domain Mis-spelling sector is not an easy one and newbies should stay far away. I remember a fantastic thread here about the validity of this artform and inspired I tried a few:

The Biggest lesson learned was that the (target) site you are trying to get misspelled type ins from must BE huge.


BMWmotorcucles.com is Alexa ranked 30K spring - 70K winter. NOT even close enough traffic to fuel this type in. BMVmotorcycles.com isnt doing any better. (both will cover their renewal but not a cent profit so its thanks and goodbye for them)

Then I went for bigger traffic targets:

CommissionJunktion.com - I guess everybody, even first timers know it's CJ.com and/or know how to spell junction.

It would make for a funny CJ bashing site for angry ex publishers to vent out.


The 3rd attempt was

teleaby.com - the target site - Telebay.com is slowly climbing at 22K. (alexa) Maybe one day they'll become superbowl advertisers if their concept works. It just might - See our report:

http://www.fleege.com/buyerguide/Telebay.html

So I think I am done with typo domains. I leave that to the real pros.

I wish there was a tool to find out how many times an url is typed in before regging it. :) I guess that would kill the market right away anyway.

Typo domains - NOT for me. Beware and good luck!
 
Last edited:
0
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Unstoppable Domains — AI StorefrontUnstoppable Domains — AI Storefront
I am curious,
How do I know if a typo will get traffic or not? Is OVT a reliable marker?

I also have the feeling that all the good typos are long gone.... is this true?
 
0
•••
Fleege said:
Well great lesson then.

Wow - I am impressed. Well it goes to show - If the typo is "good enough" and the subject category is high paying one it works well with small traffic sites as well.

Excellent - Thanks for the great input - I guess you put a lot of typo newbies including me back into the typo pool.

But if something is working for you to the point of $3K a month with no work after set up - wouldnt it be worth repeating. I'd pay top dollars to know what it is that you will want to do instead. 9no you dont need to disclose)

Cheers and thanks.

Looking for good typos is not an easy task, as it involves a lot of research. If it was easy then I would have over 400 and not just 40 (well only 39, just rounding off) but yes it would be worth repeating but this niche is becoming saturated requiring more than a little more effort to continue.

A few simple tips (no secrets here as it's been discussed in the past over different forums and I had learned these from reading through them) to choosing Good typos:

1. The Original site should receive a considerable amount of traffic but not necessarily the highest, since the typos to most of these are gone (but a lot of them show up in the drop auctions).
The best tool to use are overture keyword selector tool ( http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/rc/srch/ ) and in some cases Alexa ranked sites (but I have mentioned Alexa as a whole is pretty much useless since you'll have to dig deep into Alexa since the typos of the top 500 are most likely taken, which to me is a waste of time unless you buy the list of top 10,000 ranked sites for $999 or top 100,000 for $2,475). Although I did last year, buy the top 10,000 for research purposes and after 3 weeks of going through it lost interest since it was not giving me the results I wanted. (It is pretty useful for getting site ideas though).

2. The typo should be a single letter typos, the typo letters on the keyboard should be right next to each other, missed letters, etc...
some of the better typos are those names with double letters i.e businnes or bussiness, etc as these are some of the most common typos errors

A good tool to use would be sTypo as this comes with an OVT checker.

3. The keyword traffic which you are intending to catch should have decent bid values (use Adwords and Overture Bid Tool to check), in my case I stuck to business and finance related typos which have anywhere from $1 upto $45, since I read the business news (online and magazines) everyday as part of my breakfast routine and had a better understanding of the topics.

4. Check the origin of the traffic of the original site, US and north america are the highest paid traffic in PPC, UK and western Europe come in next and the rest, try to avoid, they're only good for CPM.

5. Check the quality of the typo, and how would you do this? Choose typos where the surfer trying to go to the original site is looking something specific and the inventory of the PPC provider is sufficient for that particular category.


As for TM typos? well i have avoided them but I know quite a few domaineers that go after them and probably make a hell of a lot from them. I know one domaineer in particular that makes more money from one TM typo than I do for all my non TM typos. The choice to regging these would be up to you.

And as for what I'm doing instead, well it's buying revenue sites (using the money I made from PPC), putting up gambling affiliate sites (forwarding the useless chinese traffic names I purchased way back to these and putting the CPM pop-ups to very good use) and other small ventures I'll keep to myself for now. I do on occasions pick up bargain potential traffic names from pool dutch aution at $8 (30-40% hitting percentage as a whole but I have gotten lucky on some names which pays for all the renewal fees of my entire portfolio and then some)
 
Last edited:
3
•••
THANKS for sharing.

REP ADDED and so should every person reading unholy1s last post.

peyperread imo.

:)

You should make a typo domain ebook. Or maybe thats what you are doing that has more potential...
 
0
•••
Rep added, thank you so much for the advice!!!
 
0
•••
Another successful typo registered based on Unholy's excellent 5 step advice.

Sorry cant disclose the name but I wanted say thanks and praise the source. Rep already added.
 
0
•••
DomainEasy: white label portfolios are live. Enable yours.

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back