IT.COM

sales Millions of Dollars Worth of Previously Unreleased Uniregistry Domain Sales Supercharges the Charts

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
The new weekly domain sales report is out at DNJournal.com. Uniregistry staged a takeover of our domain sales charts this week after releasing millions of dollars worth of previously unreported sales from the first eight months of this year. The treasure trove of data included a half-dozen six figure sales as well as three of the year’s ten biggest non .com gTLD sales. ccTLDs fans also found a lot to like in the Uniregistry release including one of that category’s 10 biggest sales of 2017 to date. You can get all of the details here: http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2017/20170927.htm

The flood of Uniregistry data also gave our Year to Date Top 100 Domain Sales Chart a complete makeover with 30 new domains added to the elite list. The newcomers pushed the minimum amount required to make the chart from $36,800 to $48,000. You can see the updated Top 100s (including YTD Charts for the ccTLDs and Non .com gTLDs) here: http://www.dnjournal.com/ytd-sales-charts.htm

Attachments

• Uniregistry-Sales-Jan-through-August-2017.docx
    104.3 KB · Views: 21
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Okay so you mean that the domain botay.com was sold for USD $60K Or do you mean it is for sale for that price. Why not just type a complete sentence next time say what you mean. I don't mean any offense, just saying it was rather unclear to me what you were saying and is still unclear.

Thanks!

Last edited:
•••
botay sold for $60k.
botay means nonsolution in Vietnamese.
you get?

•••
I do now!

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
haha yeah.
I'll even give a dollar discount coupon.

•••
incredible list of sold names

•••
This is the power of generic words.
This is the power of the sales person. SUre those generic words work well as a type in but it was a salesperson that got the 100k for it.

•••
This is the power of generic words.

Generic means nonspecific. Used cars for sale is very specific.

I understand what you're saying - using the word generic domains to mean real words that are in the dictionary but I think it's been stretched when people use it that way.

Last edited:
•••
This is the power of the sales person. SUre those generic words work well as a type in but it was a salesperson that got the 100k for it.

This.
Incredible that no one has ever understood this.
The average domainer, with the same names, would be lucky if he/she received at least 2 offers ($ XXXX) on those names.
Surely not millions of dollars...

•••
Just as if not more important is knowing or at least gauging the value of your domain. At xynames I use a series of comparables, internet research and a sort of algorithm to try to figure this out. You can't always be right, but at least you won't just be winging it.

To give an analogy, you've got a five million dollar ocean front estate (yeah it's a great piece of property!), but you set the price at twenty million. The best salesman in the world still won't be able to sell it at your asking price, and as long as that overpricing remains your bottom line you won't sell it at all.

Or, you set the price of the five million dollar estate at only one million, and it sells, but you just robbed yourself of four million. In that situation too a salesman can't help you if he steps in just to sell after the price is set.

Last edited:
•••
Just as if not more important is knowing or at least gauging the value of your domain. At xynames I use a series of comparables, internet research and a sort of algorithm to try to figure this out. You can't always be right, but at least you won't just be winging it.

To give an analogy, you've got a five million dollar ocean front estate (yeah it's a great piece of property!), but you set the price at twenty million. The best salesman in the world still won't be able to sell it at your asking price, and as long as that overpricing remains your bottom line you won't sell it at all.

Or, you set the price of the five million dollar estate at only one million, and it sells, but you just robbed yourself of four million. In that situation too a salesman can't help you if he steps in just to sell after the price is set.

Real estate values are set by comparable sales in same neighborhood. Domain sales are more or less what the market will bear.

Sales associate / broker landed a whale..

Last edited:
•••
mr-x you post a lot of words but what are you trying to say? You seem to be saying the same thing in two different ways. Comparables / what the market will bear can be identical measures of value.

•••
mr-x you post a lot of words but what are you trying to say? You seem to be saying the same thing in two different ways. Comparables / what the market will bear can be identical measures of value.

Real estate is appraised based on neighborhood and nearby sales. The prices are capped by what a lender will loan.

Domain business has no verified, bonded appraisers. You make an estimate based on prior sales, and who your buyer is. You can ask anything.

Last edited:
•••
Just don't ever quit your day job to teach economics. Still in a way, you and I are saying the same thing.

Whether it's apples real estate domains or...widgets comparable sales always matter. Comparables include completed sales or unsold goods in the market from your competition.

By the way domains may be as unique or as generic as homes or even land. A oceanfront custom built mansion is verging on unique. A tract home is much less unique. Similarly some domains are more unique than others. Obviously the more unique a good is the less comparables matter but they always matter.

Anyway, the correct way to apprise the value of anything is to compare it with similar goods being sold or that have sold in the same market, with of course more recent comps being more relevant. Naturally you also consider the intrinsic value, usefulness or appeal of the good, but this is always against a backdrop of comparables. If you're not doing all that sort of thought and comparison each time you buy or sell a domain, something is amiss, because I guarantee every domain buyer is considering more than one domain so you'd better be pricing it right based on comparables or else you're not going to be selling much.

Last edited:
•••
Just don't ever quit your day job to teach economics. Still in a way, you and I are saying the same thing.

My day job is making websites and selling domains. Everything I said in my previous post was 100% correct.

The broker / sales associate who sold usedcarsforsale.com, a four word domain for $100,000, landed a whale. That is the highest price I can find for a "usedcar" domain.

Uniregistry may be financing most of it.

Last edited:
•••
Uniregistry also sold boatsforsale.com for $165,000 back in 2013.

If they get dealers to advertise with them at these rates, should be able to make their money back pretty easily:

Monthly Rates
1-25 Used Cars $299
26-50 Used Cars $499
51-75 Used Cars $799
76-100 Used Cars $999
101+ Used Cars Call Us!

Last edited:
•••
Generic means nonspecific. Used cars for sale is very specific.

I understand what you're saying - using the word generic domains to mean real words that are in the dictionary but I think it's been stretched when people use it that way.
Do not confuse English with domaining. (a made up word)
Realestate.com sure is specific but is considered a generic domain.
housesrealestate dot com is just a longer generic
Remax dot com is a brand.

•••
Via dnjournal.com, UsedCars.ca sold for $115K USD. UsedCars.com was included in a business sale, valued at 2.2 million.

6459 cars listed

If they get dealers to advertise with them at these rates, should be able to make their money back pretty easily:

Monthly Rates
1-25 Used Cars $299
26-50 Used Cars $499
51-75 Used Cars $799
76-100 Used Cars $999
101+ Used Cars Call Us!

Last edited:
•••
What will I do for buy a domain name

•••

Don't know why I'm obsessed with this sale.

"Used" narrows the vertical but I think used cars in are in higher demand than new. The market for usedcarsforsale was 100K, the buyer knows their biz better than I do.

I think they over paid but this sale makes me more optimistic about my last two purchases.

Last edited:
•••
It does seem surprising to me too that such a long domain name (3-4 words) sold for so much.

But yes true there's a $165K (boatsforsale) sort of comparable, albeit an old one.

Last edited:
•••
Vow I am Surprised to Hear this News

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back