IT.COM

domains Mike Mann sold MotherDuck.com for $60K in June the company just raised $47.5M

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact

On June 30th of this year Mike Mann announced he sold MotherDuck.com for $60,000. I remember when he tweeted it out someone texted me he sold Mother F***. When I checked the tweet I was like ok, it’s G rated not X rated. That’s a nice sale. The domain name updated and the buyer is […]
Continue Reading

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
One aspect of domain investing Rick Schwartz perfected is demanding for shares in the company that buys his domain names.

That was a stroke of genius.

To have raised $47.5M, the valuation of this company shouldn't be less than $100M.

Just 0.1% of that is something nice.

Last edited:
•••
One aspect of domain investing Rick Schwartz perfected is demanding for shares in the company that buys his domain names.

I think that was a stroke of genius.

To have raised $47.5M, the valuation of this company should be nothing less than a $100M.

Just 0.1% of that is something nice.
To make deals like that they would need to be category defining domain names like Games dot com/Video dot com, where companies feel that they ‘must’ have this domain at any cost (no other alternative).

Also deals like that have always been rare and I would say almost impossible in 2022/2023 internet, whilst .com is still king, it’s hard enough to convince companies to go with .com nowadays, there are that many options.

Some companies don’t even feel they need a domain name/website if they have social media handles and need a lot of convincing they are wrong, Rick did this during a time without social media/smartphones (apps)/other domain extensions and a time when .com was a must and only option.

No business is going to give part of their company away for MotherDuck dot com, ask for $60k+ and part of someone's business for MotherDuck dot com and they would roll around on the floor laughing and go with something else.

Last edited:
•••
I really like the design of their website

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back