NameSilo

Might any owner let 2 letter domain expired?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I wonder that can some owners let their 2 letter domain .com expired
I'm tracking one that's going to...:hehe:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No one should let one drop on purpose. Good luck, because 2-letter gTLD's are 'supposed to' retire from use if they are allowed to expire. I do understand some com/nets may have been picked up though. If it can be picked up, you probably won't be the only one trying for it.

•••
What would happen when some owners are in prison or hospital without consciousness or...

•••
.com and .net don't get retired. They are available for re registration when they drop.

•••
but with people registring them for extra 10 years and more, really no chance of them dropping any time soon

•••
they're prime real estate, and as mentioned above, anything short of stupidity, carelessness, death, disease or injury wouldn't be ample reason to consciously lose any of them, especially when they could just sell them if they didn't want them anymore.

•••
I said to heard that 2 letters domain cannot be re-register anymore. If someone let it expired, ICANN will keep it.

Please check 75.org topic

•••
Originally posted by Vlink
I said to heard that 2 letters domain cannot be re-register anymore. If someone let it expired, ICANN will keep it.

Please check 75.org topic

That is referring to .org's, which are retired by the .ORG registry (pir.org)

•••
Ok, so hopefully 2 char .com's can still be regged.

•••
2 char .coms/nets will still drop if they complete the expiry process. There is NO stipulation that says they have to be retired. As -RJ- said .orgs are a different story. If they expire, they are gone.

There are many other cctlds that you can still register 2 char domains, however many registrars will not accept a 2char registration IE: GoDaddy.

You can go to enom right now and reg e8.cc if you want.

•••
can you re register .com / .net when the previous owner let it drops ?

from icann website:
http://www.icann.org/tlds/agreements/unsponsored/registry-agmt-appk-26apr01.htm

Additional Second-Level Reservations. In addition, the following names shall be reserved at the second level:

All single-character labels.
All two-character labels shall be initially reserved. The reservation of a two-character label string shall be released to the extent that the Registry Operator reaches agreement with the government and country-code manager, or the ISO 3166 maintenance agency, whichever appropriate.The Registry Operator may also propose release of these reservations based on its implementation of measures to avoid confusion with the corresponding country codes.

more over from other websites that i found:

2 Character domains that drop will be held
(Country Codes ICANN Policy)

so is this really for .org only or for .com/.net also?

•••
edyonline, when does ur XV expire?

•••
Only com/net in gTLD's have a possibility of dropping and being picked up, the other registries either never released them or have a policy of retiring them.

Verisign has the option of retiring or letting 2-letter com/nets be picked up. It is likely that IF that two letter domain is also a ccTLD, then it may be withheld per the registry agreement unless the cc holder authorizes to re-releases it (see post above for RA text). I believe this may be why re-release seems to be inconsistent in com/net.

I've never heard of situations where the cc counties actually use the second level of gTLD's like string.ca.com for Canada or string.mx.com for Mexico, but I guess they want to allow for the possibility of them doing so in the future.

•••
R3.net will drop on the 24th, if not renewed(redemption period now)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back