Domain Empire

Microsoft's iPod Killer is Officially Named ZUNE!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Microsoft Argo's Final Name: The Zune?
Our inboxes are on fire with brand new information about the new Microsoft MP3 player. We thought the player was code-named "Argo", but we now got word that the final product name that's been flying around is the "Zune"!

The pic on the right seems to be the final design, which makes the player very clean—a definite departure from Microsoft's other endeavors. You all remember the video Microsoft's own people made to illustrate their packaging shortcomings? Well, it seems like they haven't learned much, as our tipster tells us the packaging itself is pretty ugly.

More info after the jump!

Our mole also says there's no game menu to be seen on the device, putting those rumors of portable gaming from Xbox branding in possible jeopardy. More game options possibly coming in the 2nd iteration.

There's also mention of a black version of the Zune, being shown on a music video for the band CSS, and the brown version on the cover for "Band of Horses". You can display Album covers for the song you're listening to on the screen, which is "big enough" and looks "pretty good". Paul Oakenfold also has a tie-in deal.

From the looks of things, the Zune will definitely be ready for a Xmas release.

We'll have more information plus possibly the logo and/or UI Shots tomorrow. Stay tuned! – Jason Chen

Thanks Tipster!
Source: Gizmodo

Get your ZUNE domain names now. They're going fast!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Whoever owns zunepass.com is probably going to get a nasty surprise.... :O

ripley.

•••
REAL Video of ZUNE

Actual Video of the Zune. Click Here

This is Smoother than I ever would have anticipated for the first generation, with horizontal video playback and Zune-to-Zune file sharing on the fly etc.

I'll admit to being a bit surprised to see Zune function this nicely in it’s initial incarnation.

Best wishes,
Kimmy

Last edited:
•••
•••
Zune.at is available...

And since it's a gaming platform as well how about iZune(s).vg

Last edited:
•••
BetterHosting said:
Zune.at is available...
domain: zune.at
registrant: MC1830802-NICAT
admin-c: MC1995021-NICAT
tech-c: MC1621797-NICAT
zone-c: MC1621797-NICAT
nserver: ns1.msft.net
remarks: 207.68.160.190
nserver: ns3.msft.net
remarks: 213.199.144.151
nserver: ns4.msft.net
remarks: 207.46.66.126
changed: 20060731 22:01:00
source: AT-DOM

personname:
organization: Microsoft Corporation
street address: One Microsoft Way
postal code: USA-98052
city: Redmond WA
phone: +14258828080
fax-no: +14259367329
e-mail: [email protected]
nic-hdl: MC1830802-NICAT
changed: 20050726 15:10:11

personname: J.K Weston
postal code: USA-98052
city: Redmond WA
nic-hdl: MC1995021-NICAT
changed: 20050902 13:40:39

personname: MSN Hostmaster
postal code: USA-980526399
city: Redmond, WA
nic-hdl: MC1621797-NICAT
changed: 20040629 19:29:12

•••
That's weird. It shows as available on my search.

iZune.tv is available.

•••
slaughterbeck said:
This is Smoother then I ever would have anticipated for the first generation, with horizontal video playback and Zune-to-Zune file sharing on the fly etc.

I'll admit to being a bit surprised to see Zune function this nicely in it’s initial incarnation.

There's a good reason why it is so polished. The first generation Zune is pretty much a rebadged Toshiba media player.

•••
I have 4 or 5 zune names and just have not had the time to do anything with them yet.
I would hate for Microsoft to come along and snatch them. Would it be a good idea to throw some kind of fan site up real quick or just get rid of them?

•••
ripley said:
Whoever owns zunepass.com is probably going to get a nasty surprise.... :O
ripley.

Why?
What about zunemarketplace.com registered today by someone?

I hope mine are safe registered on 11th July?

- Vince

Last edited:
•••
That one too, probably. Because Microsoft has announced that it plans to call its iTunes store the "Zune Marketplace" and offer a "Zune Pass" wherein you can pay a flat fee to download music.

I don't anticipate Microsoft being happy about having those domains taken, but that's just me.

ripley.

•••
Sure they may not be happy, but why did they not register them before telling the public, or do they have these already covered by TM anyway?

In the UK, Alan Sugar (owner of Amstrad) gave away the name of a new company he was about to start on National TV programme "The Apprentice" before registering either company or domain!
Immediately, one of his competitors registered the domain, and he (Alan Sugar) then publicly admitted to his foolishness.

- Vince

•••
amosba said:
There's a good reason why it is so polished. The first generation Zune is pretty much a rebadged Toshiba media player.
I’ve read that all around the web over the past three weeks and I really started to believe that Zune might not offer much of an improvement over the Gigabeat (which garnered a modest reception). That was until I saw the video, very encouraging for those who hope for an iPod alternative.

Best wishes,
Kimmy

•••
•••
the features that video shows is more than alot of people anticipated. it will be a huge hit and im glad to be one of the first. i hope MS doesnt ask me for my domains lol.

•••
A website that I’m quite a fan of is Zunebuzz.com

You can get quite a bit a solid information and chat there.

Best wishes,
Kimmy

•••
I watched an interview on MSNBC or CNBC, one of them, yesterday, sept. 14, 2006, and was struck at how many times "zune experience" came up. I'm also seeing, "The Zune Experience", it in all the articles I'm reading. :)

namenut :hehe: I blame Kimmy<--------- sneaky grin on his face)

•••
slaughterbeck said:
A website that I’m quite a fan of is Zunebuzz.com
You can get quite a bit a solid information and chat there.
Best wishes, Kimmy

This is one of the may sites using the Zune logo.
Is that allowed, or asking for more trouble?

- Vince

•••
Beyond the temptation of the new product buzz, and beyond the addiction that domains hold over us, why would any of us invest in these type names?

I asked myself that question again today, and here is what I came up with...

- I usually avoid domains that have any strong possibility of trademark issues.

- There are not many reported sales of similar domains (iPod, Xbox, Playstation, etc)

- SonyPlaystation.com (.net, .org, .info, .us, .biz) - NONE of these are even owned by Sony. They apparently don't need them, and don't care too much about them. Yet among domainers, these would have been considered GOLD (or lawsuit :p ) if somebody posted them on a domain forum when that product line was new.

- What is the end goal here? Who are we targeting with Zune names?

Microsoft? I don't think so.

The so called "end-user"? As said before, we don't see many end-user sales of similar domains. Investing big bucks in a domain that includes the product name of another company is something else we don't see often.

Are the only choices to either build a fan/forum/blog site, or sell to other domainers?

Wait.. maybe a company that gets licensed to produce accessories or add-ons for the Zune product line? There's bound to be all types of aftermarket accessories and goodies that come out, right? Those people are going to need 'names'.

So perhaps that's the best hope?

Hmmmm....

•••
So has everyone gone and registered Zune-names??

I went and got myself www.zunezenith.com - might build it up soon :)

I can't wait!! :)

•••
its no competion to the ipod but zuneforum.com might be worth some money lol

•••
ya, got picturezune.com, already has a building ovt; months early.

•••
zachary0611 said:
its no competion to the ipod but zuneforum.com might be worth some money lol

I have the hyphenated version... So If you're interested, feel free to PM me ;)

•••
-db- said:
Gee...I'm starting to miss Zune.us :'(

i bet you are. You probably got a good deal on it but I'm starting to think you could have done better on it.

•••
My favorite "zune" name a member posted... all time favorite... is still:

ZuneyTunes

I think that will go down in dotcom history as one of the classics!!!

ROTFLMAO

LOVE the name!!!

GoPC

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back