IT.COM

discuss Meta TM Discussion Thread

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Centauri

Established Member
Impact
Hey,

so as some people over in the Metaverse Thread claim, that meta (keyword) .com domains have no future, as
a) "everybody" seems to fear legal prosecution by Meta Platforms Inc., or
b) if Meta Inc. won't come along and buy them, domainers will have to re-reg the domains in an infinite loop,

I have thought about going a little bit more into detail here. - If you are interested.

First of all: I encourage and challenge anybody, who says Meta Platforms Inc. is hunting for meta (keyword) domains,
to put this statement to the test.

Post at least one case, in which Meta Platforms Inc. got his hands onto a meta (keyword) domain!
With the only exemption: No meta (keyword) domains, which are clearly a TM infringement, like for example:
Meta Inc. bought (had to buy) the TM rights for metabank/pay; so if someone would now come along and reg. a domain like metapay1.com,
he will be eaten for lunch ;)

So, it is just so easy to put rumors into the world, that meta domains are in big danger and no one can or will do anything with them -
metagaming.com or metanews.com are clear proof of the opposite!
(in addition to the many more meta websites out there).
(btw at least for what I know, they were just developed after rebranding)

So, it's up to you to believe the pessimists and get frightened by no reasons (no trials/ cases, they can provide),
let others trash-talk about meta domains and decrease their legitimacy / attraction,
or do some research and see that meta keyword domains are eligible to be run, owned, developed and traded.

Thanks
Centauri

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
so as some people over in the Metaverse Thread claim, that meta (keyword) .com domains have no future, as
b) if Meta Inc. won't come along and buy them, domainers will have to re-reg the domains in an infinite loop,

----------------------
@MadAboutDomains

We are talking about this, not what as you said...

My original post is my opinion, how can Meta Inc. makes everybody seems to fear legal prosecution by Meta Platform Inc. ? There is something wrong with this Meta Inc. Trademark use...

As you said, Hotel can't be trademarked. Meta suppose to be the keyword that can't be Trademarked. Meta can use their Trademark to protect their brand, but not to monopoly Meta keywords, or even to monopoly Metaverse business.

Meta is a generic therm. The same as Hotel.

Last edited:
•••

----------------------
@MadAboutDomains

We are talking about this, not what as you said...

My original post is my opinion, how can Meta Inc. makes everybody seems to fear legal prosecution by Meta Platform Inc. ? There is something wrong with this Meta Inc. Trademark use...

As you said, Hotel can't be trademarked. Meta suppose to be the keyword that can't be Trademarked. Meta can use their Trademark to protect their brand, but not to monopoly Meta keywords, or even to monopoly Metaverse business.

Meta is a generic therm. The same as Hotel.
Which is interesting:
Hotel is a day to day used term,
so much used and established in our everyday vocabulary, that you wouldn't even think of trademarking it.

The term meta on the other hand, is not such an everyday term, at first sight.

You get to know it in programming, video/audio editing, gaming production or maths/physics/science.

Therefore, the initial response is:
There must be something special about it.

Although it is just another vocabulary word, which you'll find in the encyclopedias of this world.

But, as it is a little more special, all this discussion comes up whether it is brandable/ trademarkable or not.

It is not, simply because
A) facebook came too late to the 'amazon / apple' party of the 90s
- they introduced the name in front of everybody's eyes, when they've already been that big company
B) it stays a common word used in the above described fields, forever.

Which makes it in some way an everyday term, too.

Not to mention, that the word metaverse relys on this term, and other web3 companies also would like to make use of it.

Which is totally understandable.

- As facebook just introduced it, when the idea of the metaverse was in the minds of millions already,
that work on it every day.

Cannot trademark it, not even a part-term of it.

[And just btw: could you trademark 'alpha', and have the only eligible rights on it?!
Of course not.]

Regards

Last edited:
•••
Saw a guy the other day pay for his groceries by swiping his smart watch over the C.P.R. or contactless payment reader. Who's still saying smart watches aren't a thing? Same goes for smart glasses. Metaverse is a thing and will continue to become more of a thing. It was worth $478 billion in 2020 (Bloomberg) and the same source says it's worth $800 billion by 2024. @Andy Power said and I quote once the metaverse will become an every day term, yet you disagreed with him. Keen to hear your counter-argument @MadAboutDomains? Do you really think the metaverse is a failed empire with no future in mainstream society?

•••
Saw a guy the other day pay for his groceries by swiping his smart watch over the C.P.R. or contactless payment reader. Who's still saying smart watches aren't a thing? Same goes for smart glasses. Metaverse is a thing and will continue to become more of a thing. It was worth $478 billion in 2020 (Bloomberg) and the same source says it's worth $800 billion by 2024. @Andy Power said and I quote once the metaverse will become an every day term, yet you disagreed with him. Keen to hear your counter-argument @MadAboutDomains? Do you really think the metaverse is a failed empire with no future in mainstream society?

Attachments

• fw2_QwtCxqY0Lwlk.mp4
    1.8 MB
•••
I believed in 1800s Hotel is not a common word.

IMG_20220822_081000.jpg

In 1980s, transgender, sperm banks, and human inseminations are not common things, even transgender is prohibited in many countries, but now a trend. We are still in shock of everything about these revolutions. Now Transgender is a day to day word.

IMG_20220822_080741.jpg

Meta first used may be in metadata and metaphysic. I have checked since 1936 there is a trademark of Meta and active until know. From 1970s active Meta trademarks are for medical and metadata company. In 1970s it is not a common word. But since 2000 metadata is already popular, so Meta is already a common word. Now Metaverse is already a popular word, since Justin Bibier had a concert in Metaverse, brands like Adidas, Sotheby's Ferrari opened a store at Metaverse. Every day my FB timeline show ads about land parcels in metaverse.

Last edited:
•••
Hey,

1) a month or ten years... -
Why you think I should just take it, when trash talking starts about meta names, from which I think they are legitimate to use (in general)?!

You are eligible to have your opinion,
I have mine,
and I am not teaching any one.

This is why I have created this thread,.so we can rather discuss via real argumemts, than to spam the off. Metaverse thread.

2) what I see is, that some holders of (only) metaverse + keyword domains like to bash and trash meta + keyword domains.
I don't know why; maybe to have a better standing on the market
(btw I also hold some metaverse + keyword domains).

3) I haven't seen anyone begging for buys/sales;
just recently I've seen a domainer here at namepros listing his metaverse keyword domains for a low price each...

And: no one here has posted or fact checked any cases, in which meta platforms inc. seized / got his hands on
Good meta + keyword (com/net/org) domains.

But this was the actual purpose of this thread.

So don't blame me 😉
Everyone is a rebel without a cause until renewal time. Let us know your stance when the renewals start rolling in.

No one is saying the very top keywords could not still sell what we are saying is Meta has this trademark in MANY categories which means who is going to use it with an inherent risk of udrp legal action? Meta took what they wanted 11 months ago.

Names regged before the first meta trademark they bought dates back to 2016 and those are just inherently safer if handled properly.

Also not sure how you don’ t see the thousands of garbage meta names being peddled here and not sold because I do.

Last edited:
•••
once the metaverse will become an every day term, yet you disagreed with him. Keen to hear your counter-argument @MadAboutDomains? Do you really think the metaverse is a failed empire with no future in mainstream society?
Yeah my opinion on "metaverse" is that it won't happen, won't be successful, is a promise of something that won't deliver in a big way and most people won't be interested in anyway even if it was half good.

But it's just my opinion.

I just realised that the OP has posted that he received an email about one of his meta names. Probably should have disclosed that in the original post...

received similar mail from same provider.

more than 3 months ago; I did not even reply.

Nothing happened.

Last edited:
•••
yep,

although I receive A LOT of anonymous downvotes, it's an interesting discussion, here
and over in the metaverse thread (page 277/278).

However, my take from all this is the following:

1) @ThomasAnderson was the only one, who at least posted some names, that were seized by meta platforms inc. using UDPR.

Most names are non com/net/org, with extensions like .online etc.
One of the very few com names is metavrsale.com

As I described over in the metaverse thread on page 278, @ThomasAnderson and I have doubts about the legitimacy of this case;
but meta inc. made it to get its hands on it.

The domain contains VR, which is a clear buzz word of the metaverse business / field.

It is very questionnable how a company can rename itself in one month
(and pretend to be a huge metaverse player now),
and in the next following months sue overs over their meta names,
BUT they made it and succeeded.

So, what is the conclusion?!

Simple:
Don't reg names, which contain meta + metaverse buzzwords.

Reg. everyday words, as you won't face similar problems with a name like meta/shopping/com etc.

Best, just as @MadAboutDomains said, is to develop the name.

You could just make a landing page out of it, so it looks like an agency, or a news aggregator with wordpress etc.

So, there are many possibilites.

2) As we don't see any problems with meta names, who have simple adjectives or nouns as suffix,
it makes no sense to develop those.

Meta inc. won't considering to be after them.

something like meta/jumping/com woudn't care meta inc.

I would keep good meta names here, and drop the ones that simply make no sense.

3) There is a lot of hysteria going on.

So we must adjust our view, and look what is going to happen.

> First of all all metaverse + keyword domains will be hyped.

They will sell for good money, if its a good keyword domain / and although they are f* long.

> Good mv names will be also trending; not to mention good - verse names that already sold for decent prices.

> In the end, meta keyword domains will be hyped.

I am sure, that meta inc. has no possibilites, and NO interest, to got its hands on good meta names.

Like meta/shopping, meta/market, meta/gaming, meta/news in .com etc.

They simply don't want to be marked as the ones, that stop and interrupt the party.

And get more bad reputation due to that.

This is what most people don't understand.

Most of the good meta names will be developed, 100%. - It's too lucrative.

In no way meta inc. will be able to stop that.

That's why, it is just a matter of time, until the market gets rolling and gets its attention on meta domains.

And when it gets its attention, I may say that they will be more favorable than their counterparts, metaverse domains.

Have a good one.
Centauri

[none of the mentioned meta names are mine]

Last edited:
•••
Everyone is a rebel without a cause until renewal time. Let us know your stance when the renewals start rolling in.

No one is saying the very top keywords could not still sell what we are saying is Meta has this trademark in MANY categories which means who is going to use it with an inherent risk of udrp legal action? Meta took what they wanted 11 months ago.

Names regged before the first meta trademark they bought dates back to 2016 and those are just inherently safer if handled properly.

Also not sure how you don’ t see the thousands of garbage meta names being peddled here and not sold because I do.
is a name containing meta + fb + some more characters inbetween
> is the only mail I got from appdatex regarding my meta names.

They seem not to care about the others at ALL.

meta trademark?!

Oh gosh,...

So you want to tell me that I won't be able to reg a name like meta dribbling .com after 28th oct 2021,
develop or sale it?!?!

This is laughable.

Doesn't that, and all arguments against it, just sound too stopid to be true?!

Regards

Last edited:
•••
Unfortunately we live in a world where the strongest get stronger and win more easily, and the weakest get weaker and weaker and win very little.

In most of the UDRP cases I have cited, the defendants did not even have a lawyer.

On the one hand we have an international group that hires one of the biggest law firms in the world, and on the other hand we have the average Joe (the defendant) who tries to defend himself by putting a few words in a row.

But in most cases the defendants don't even respond.

Fortunately, in the field of trademarks, trademarks owners do not let themselves be taken advantage of.

Searching on Google and on official trademark platforms, we can see that several companies are currently suing Meta Platforms.

•••
Unfortunately we live in a world where the strongest get stronger and win more easily, and the weakest get weaker and weaker and win very little.

In most of the UDRP cases I have cited, the defendants did not even have a lawyer.

On the one hand we have an international group that hires one of the biggest law firms in the world, and on the other hand we have the average Joe (the defendant) who tries to defend himself by putting a few words in a row.

But in most cases the defendants don't even respond.

Fortunately, in the field of trademarks, trademarks owners do not let themselves be taken advantage of.

Searching on Google and on official trademark platforms, we can see that several companies are currently suing Meta Platforms.
Yes.

Unfortunately many domainers aren't interested in defending their names, either.

If fb would have come with that renaming before the idea of the metaverse took off,
then the discussion would be different than now,
at a time where the term metaverse was already in the heads / work and use by millions of people.

Its like there was the hype of the internet,
a big company then would have come along and renamed itself into net /or inter,
hence no one may use that term any more.

BS in my eyes.

One most obey the Timing / development.

To that time, oct 2021, and after it, others would have the same rights to found a company in the field of the metaverse,
calling it meta (whatever).
Or (whatever) verse.

Both legal abbreviations for the well and generally known term metaverse.

A development takes time, and you have to find a good (web) name for it;
and you may change the name in the process.

Amazon or Apple cannot be compared to this meta case
(As some people like to showcase that).

They developed and grew together with the beginning of the internet,
Apple even far before that.

Anyone knew what Amazon and what Apple is.

No one knew what meta is, until 28th oct. 2021.

Last edited:
•••
rade Mark is a way to protect Brand, but it is not the way to exclusively buy the monopoly rights of a word
Exactly. When somebody thinks of a word and associate it with a brand. Now that's the real show stopper, and I know I've left myself open hee hee so go on!

•••
I don't buy that argument. Stand up and be counted, stop blaming the world. The strong get stronger because they stand up in the face of adversity, the weak get weaker because they lie down on the face of adversity. Ordinary people change the world every day for the better. Grow a pair.

•••
Exactly. When somebody thinks of a word and associate it with a brand. Now that's the real show stopper, and I know I've left myself open hee hee so go on!
I think people might associate Meta with Meta Platforms now as it's one of the biggest companies on the planet.

I don't buy that argument. Stand up and be counted, stop blaming the world. The strong get stronger because they stand up in the face of adversity, the weak get weaker because they lie down on the face of adversity. Ordinary people change the world every day for the better. Grow a pair.
If it involves intentionally putting myself in the cross hairs of a big company then it's not strong. I'll pass on that one.

•••

I'm not saying it's a good thing or that it's normal. It was just an observation, in life things often happen like that, for many subjects.

Personally I also think it's nonsense and you have to fight for what you want.

I work for a company that has several IP assets containing the word "META".

My employer did not accept the XXX.XXX USD offers proposed by the Meta Platforms lawyers and we currently have a few lawsuits against them.

No I don't work for "META Company" or "META PC", lol. Meta Platforms is currently in negotiations/lawsuits with/against many companies.

Last edited:
•••
I'm not saying it's a good thing or that it's normal. It was just an observation, in life things often happen like that, for many subjects.

Personally I also think it's nonsense and you have to fight for what you want.

I work for a company that has several IP assets containing the word "META".

My employer did not accept the XXX.XXX USD offers proposed by the Meta Platforms lawyers and we currently have a few lawsuits against them.

No I don't work for "META Company" or "META PC", lol. Meta Platforms is currently in negotiations/lawsuits with/against many companies.
I wonder what the lawsuits are for? Trademark infringement? If so, which country?

Last edited:
•••
Among other things. But I'm just an employee and don't know much about the details.

If the company wins you will probably hear about the cases.

If the company loses or if there is a deal with a non-disclosure agreement, then you will never know about it.

•••
Among other things. But I'm just an employee and don't know much about the details.

If the company wins you will probably hear about the cases.

If the company loses or if there is a deal with a non-disclosure agreement, then you will never know about it.
Well there are probably public court papers... is it USA based?

•••
Sorry I already wrote too much.

I wrote to encourage other possible "META" companies to take action and attack MetaPlatforms.

If you have an IP portfolio containing "META" elements and you think you have a chance to win, go ahead.

If you receive a UDRP complaint from MetaPlatforms, defend yourself.

In the cases I cited, people didn't even defend themselves, none of them had lawyers, and some didn't even respond.

If people don't do anything, MetaPlatforms will do what they want.

•••
Thanks for so many good thoughts on this subject .

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back