IT.COM

question Meta domains why is this not cybersquatting?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Steven McEvoy

CFaDN.comTop Member
Impact
‪So for meta about to be trademarked and Facebook using the term meta… how is registering domains with meta not cybersquatting?‬

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Facebook rebranding to Meta and their efforts to rule this word is an interesting one. I don't know how it'll play out long term, given Meta is such an incredibly generic word

Due to their power (and money), they may see it different. Either way, the registration date of your Meta domain, and the overall intention counts. If you own "Meta Grass dot com", and you're a local grass cutter, or "Meta Fishing dot com", a local fishery / fishing equipment provider, I don't see Facebook picking up the phone to their lawyers to do something about it (maybe they would, maybe they are that ruthless, but really?)

Last edited:
•••
Facebook rebranding to Meta and their efforts to rule this word is an interesting one. I don't know how it'll play out long term, given Meta is such an incredibly generic word

Due to their power (and money), they may see it different. Either way, the registration date of your Meta domain, and the overall intention counts. If you own "Meta Grass dot com", and you're a local grass cutter, or "Meta Fishing dot com", a local fishery / fishing equipment provider, I don't see Facebook picking up the phone to their lawyers to do something about it (maybe they would, maybe they are that ruthless, but really?). In summary: Don't step on their toes

IMO
Wel actually it isn’t even Facebook their was a previous company called meta that already had the trademark “meta” pending prior to Facebook announcement.

However you can say the same thing about using the term Apple or Mac right!?

•••
Wel actually it isn’t even Facebook their was a previous company called meta that already had the trademark “meta” pending prior to Facebook announcement.

However you can say the same thing about using the term Apple or Mac right!?
Apple and Mac together would be a mistake. Apple Lawnmowers, Apple Fireplaces, Apple Chessboards - Nah. At the end of the day, a company with a trademark cares about you stepping on their toes, or taking their action. IMO

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back