Dynadot

status-resolved Members spamming...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MacRcn

Established Member
Impact
I've been reading this site for quite some time- and I've seen great content and a community of people trying to help each other.

But recently I've had some issues. Being a new member I only get a few posts/ conversations a day. And lately I've been bombarded by things I'd only call spam.

I posted a message looking for a fishing domain. One user responded with "crime USA.com". I said- that's not fishing related and assumed he made a mistake. He then messaged that it's a good magazine domain and also suggested more totally unrelated domains. This person is a business member, but I see this as absolute spam.
Today I had the same issue with a different user. Just randomly sending a list of unrelated names.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Maybe they thought it was shepherding and sheep eat leaves and herbs. lol

Bwhahah and maybe they were health concious sheep and only eat Organic leaves and herbs too :)

•••
Killing a fish is a Crime. So, you may be doing it for fun or food, but when we look from fish's prospective you are doing a crime by killing them for fun :)

•••
I feel your pain OP. What really bothers me is that it's not just newbies sending unrelated domains, it's established members too and they should know better.

On any wanted thread I've posted maybe 20% of the domains have adhered to the listed requirements. Then when you don't respond many will follow up asking for a response. Not cool.

At least with email spam it's easy to filter via cpanel, three keywords usually cuts 90% of it out. SEO, India and Design. It is what it is.

•••
You are arguing a moot point....

The bottom line is that your thread description is vauge and you left the door open for ambiguity, the very first thing you should have mentioned was that you wanted domains containing the word Sherpa. That could have saved you alot of time and headache.. sure, maybe some people might have still submitted irrelvant domains but there would have been far less unrelated submissions.

I thought saying, "WTB Sherpa domain" was direct enough. What do they teach in schools? Read the titles to get an idea...
I don't think it's a great idea to allow it. Markes the site less enjoyable. I don't think it should be expected that posting a wtb will result in every domain expect the one you are looking for being sent to you, but call me an idealist....

•••
I thought saying, "WTB Sherpa domain" was direct enough. What do they teach in schools? Read the titles to get an idea...
I don't think it's a great idea to allow it. Markes the site less enjoyable. I don't think it should be expected that posting a wtb will result in every domain expect the one you are looking for being sent to you, but call me an idealist....

Are you unable to see the abiguity in your title?

•••
At least with email spam it's easy to filter via cpanel, three keywords usually cuts 90% of it out. SEO, India and Design.
So so true. LOL.

•••
Are you unable to see the abiguity in your title?
Yes, I totally admit I could have done better. But I don't see proudleaf as a good option no matter what variation of Sherpa you were thinking. Just like crimeusa isn't fishing related.
The issue is this isn't an isolated incident

•••
I am not familiar with Xenforo administration, but do Admins and Mods have access to our PMs like on vBulletin forums, or are they off limits like Invision Power Board?

Or viewable if we hit "report" in the PM?
Not sure what Admins can see, I (just a lowly Mod :) ) don't have access to PM's unless I'm in the conversation.
But, if you hit "report", it copies the message you reported and sends it to the report queue. Whoever reads the reports can see it and act accordingly.

•••
Ok- I want to make an apology to @Mary Muse
I was unaware of "domainsherpas" which really muddied the waters. I still got a ton of irrelevant names for fishing avd other requests and I
Apologize as it was a last straw moment.

I thought it was clear- but given DS is a household name around here (unbeknownst to me) things are a bit cleaner.

•••
Actually so far no spam via pm (except for one) :P Neh that was a joke. Actually this forums is one of the most "clean" and professional forums I have been a member off for a very long time. So far its all good~ But I can understand you being annoyed when you get dozens of "unwanted" PM's.

•••
Ok- I want to make an apology to @Mary Muse
I was unaware of "domainsherpas" which really muddied the waters. I still got a ton of irrelevant names for fishing avd other requests and I
Apologize as it was a last straw moment.

I thought it was clear- but given DS is a household name around here (unbeknownst to me) things are a bit cleaner.

Kudos for stepping up and appologizing to her publically. Everyone fcks up now and then...most people ar too arrogant and ignorant to appologize or admit their mistake. You doing so shows sound character... 10 points and welcome to Namepros :)

•••
Kudos for stepping up and appologizing to her publically. Everyone fcks up now and then...most people ar too arrogant and ignorant to appologize or admit their mistake. You doing so shows sound character... 10 points and welcome to Namepros :)

What you were saying now makes total sense. But if you didn't know what DS you can see the confusion.

•••
I am not familiar with Xenforo administration, but do Admins and Mods have access to our PMs like on vBulletin forums, or are they off limits like Invision Power Board? Or viewable if we hit "report" in the PM?
Not sure what Admins can see, I (just a lowly Mod :) ) don't have access to PM's unless I'm in the conversation.
But, if you hit "report", it copies the message you reported and sends it to the report queue. Whoever reads the reports can see it and act accordingly.
To clarify, when you report a Direct Message (DM), we can only see the single message that you reported (It doesn't show the full conversation). That is why when we receive a DM report, we have to request that we are added to the DM by the reporter so that we have the full context of the message that was reported and we can take the appropriate action.

If the DM is locked and prevents the member from adding us to it (DM creators decide if a DM is locked), then we can have our database engineer add us to the DM manually so that we are listed as a participant in the DM and can assist with the report.

Hope that helps,

•••
Yep, I have had the same problem many times. It is desperate people who need money hoping you'd buy their absolute pigeon shit for inflated prices. I don't think I will bother with requests again.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back