Domain Empire

Medicare.com domain name sold for $4.8 million

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
The domain name Medicare.com sold for a whopping $4.8 million.
This remark has come from the former owner of the domain name Medicare.com, Bill Kimberlin.

The proof is given in this article.
Kindly read the complete story on this link.

http://dnsr.com/medicare-com

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That's such an incredible price. The amount is very surprising considering that they could have used medicare.com.au since Medicare is servicing Australians.

•••
No way it's worth that much. Don't Understand it.

•••
That's such an incredible price. The amount is very surprising considering that they could have used medicare.com.au since Medicare is servicing Australians.

The US has a medicare system as well.

•••
Yes,medicare in the USA is awesome!
And medicare.com is an awesome site now!

•••
Its the business, not just the domain, check on DNJournal

•••
Its the business, not just the domain, check on DNJournal

Domain only was sold.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashvill...eurs-bet-on-medicare-com-domain.html?page=all

"But unlike most entrepreneurs, Kimberlin hasn't stepped away from the venture following the deal, nor has he stayed on under new ownership — he's still running the same business he has been for years, and he still owns it.

How'd he manage that, you ask? The $4.8 million price tag wasn't for the day-to-day operations of his business, it was for its Web domain: Medicare.com.

During a phone interview last week, I asked Kimberlin how the price tag — which, as Kimberlin alluded to, has been called the eighth-largest strictly domain sale price ever — stacked up to his expectations."

•••
Check DNJournal, that's the most reputable domain site around

•••
From dn journal

"Medicare.comchanged hands in a deal worth $4.8 million. I think the domain alone would have been worth that figure and if the buyer, eHealthInsurance Services, Inc., had scrapped the site to build something new, it would have qualified as a domain only sale that we could chart. However, the new owners have kept the original site (which has been a solid revenue producer) and content with very few changes from the original site as shown on a variety of historical snapshots cataloged at Archive.org."

Maybe Bill Kimberlin still gets the revenues. Way more detail in the Nashville Business Journal article imo.

From: Domain Name Wire "who DN Journal reported broke the news"

"Medicare.com was a lightly-developed site, so the company got more than a domain name. The site was monetized by lead gen and Google Adsense. It was basically an affiliate site.

eHealth will get some SEO benefits from purchasing the domain name. However, in all of eHealth’s announcements and communications about the deal it has specifically described it as a domain name acquisition. Keep in mind that the U.S. government’s official website about Medicare is Medicare.gov. We all know what happens when there’s a .com domain name to match a popular .gov website.

It seems clear to me that eHealth would have purchased the domain name even without the site, so I’m comfortable calling this the most expensive public domain name sale so far in 2014.

- See more at: http://domainnamewire.com/2014/05/0...e-sells-for-4-8-million/#sthash.5aqfGciD.dpuf"

So i thnk it is safe to say this was a domain only sale "as reported by both parties" other than the content at the site, whether there are affiliate revenue details, I can only speculate.

Last edited:
•••
Medicare.com was a lightly-developed site, so the company got more than a domain name. The site was monetized by lead gen and Google Adsense. It was basically an affiliate site.

Can you imagine the revenue from a word like "Medicare", check archive.org to see the traffic it gets

All Im saying is its not just the domain, lets agree to disagree shall we

•••
Can you imagine the revenue from a word like "Medicare", check archive.org to see the traffic it gets

All Im saying is its not just the domain, lets agree to disagree shall we

I agree with you. Later on in the article he says; 'sell them a business'. Which also makes me think they paid for more than use the name.

However, it's not unfathomable that a large company would pay that much for a name like this.

It is well worth it if you know anything about health services. It is tantamount to selling Insurance.com or Hospital.com.

Last edited:
•••
When companies are making billions (with a capital B) in the healthcare industry to pay $4.8 million for domain like medicare.com makes total sense. The elderly are one of the fastest growing demographics today. And trust me grandma and grandpa will have no problems typing in medicare.com into their browsers. If done right it make that $4.8 million look like chump change.

•••
Makes complete sense to me!! No wonder. The healthcare industry is growing very fast!!
Thanks @McDuke for the insight!!
I am totally convinced that it was a domain only sale!!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back