NameSilo

Meaning of .us

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Jason76

Established Member
Impact
Us as in, "They know us." or do people see it as American?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Probably the same way they see .me.
Me as in 'It's all about me', or do people see it as Montenegro (me).

•••
i had two people ask what it stands for. I guess both the word "us" and their own country went over their heads as meaning.

•••
.us stands for USA . Any website having the extension .us belongs to USA.

•••
•••
In England us means useless, as in "this heater is u/s in this weather".

•••
•••
It's true - we refer to the country as "The USA" or America, Well I've heard it called "Trump's triumph" by a couple of people recently. :)

•••
It's true - we refer to the country as "The USA" or America, Well I've heard it called "Trump's triumph" by a couple of people recently. :)

I think it was Russia's triumph.:whistle:

•••
.us stands for USA . Any website having the extension .us belongs to USA.

This is what it is.

Some people do use it for domain hacks.

•••
why parameters, and restrictions? Why not us as a group or us as usa? its up to the buyer how they want to use it anyway. geesh.

•••
I think in most cases, people are not viewing the ccTLDs extension to be respective of their country. However, .us does refer to USA.

I would not see .me has Montenegro.

•••
I don't understand why they didn't use .usa rather than the ambiguous us.

•••
.me looks like me, middle east, Montenegro, monkey elephant, etc

•••
if people don't think .us means American, then shouldn't the boost in US search results be taken away?

•••
•••
Really!? If I told someone I was from the U.S. and he asked me what is the U.S. I'd probably think he was mentally disabled. If an experienced domainer tells me the same especially now I would think he's full of $hit trying to undermine the extension.......Cause if you were genuine you'd talk about the proposed changes to privacy, new management, premium pricing, etc. But nope in the midst of this news a thread is asking if people even know the U.S. lol. .... Also let's not forget U.S traffic is the most expensive and coveted on the internet.

•••
•••
they see it as united states obviously

•••
.us is means to USA not for our or me don't know why people confuse to much about this.

•••
USA used dot.com for years as their extension, so while it has made inroads with some endusers most endusers prefer to get the dotcom and US hasn't had as strong of an impact as UK CA and other home country extensions imho
Joe T

•••
USA used dot.com for years as their extension, so while it has made inroads with some endusers most endusers prefer to get the dotcom and US hasn't had as strong of an impact as UK CA and other home country extensions imho
Joe T
.Com of course is the first choice in the u.s, but what's going to be the alternative choice for a local company? That's the million dollar question, I believe it will be .us. Don't live in the past Things are changing and changing fast. If your interested in the .us space do your own research.

•••
Some domains are location based, in the sence
.us stands for USA

•••
•••
.us is the extension of USA. it is a country specific extension

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back