Dynadot

Matias from England

NameSilo
Watch

MatiasG

Established Member
Impact
Hi guys,

I’m Matias, a web developer from England, and I’m excited to join this community.

Domaining is such a fascinating mind-puzzle... psychology, linguistics, investment... all mixed together.

I know it’s much harder than we newbies think. But even if it's hard, I’m sure it is worth it when the first inquiries begin to hit your inbox and when, one day at last, you feel the rush of selling your first domain.

I have started by posting 7 domains on Flippa. Although I’ve read that Flippa doesn’t really get the eyeballs it used to get a few years ago. But I just wanted to do some initial testing with these 7 domains, and Flippa seemed quite an easy platform to use for a newbie.

My domains are also on the link that appears in my signature.

Like every dad, I think my babies are the most beautiful and valuable. But I appreciate any feedback on them, even if it is to tell me that my babies are worthless! :facepalm:

I’m here to learn! :xf.wink:(y)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks so much @Recons.Com It's very encouraging to hear that! Especially coming from you as I see you have a fantastic portfolio! Elix alone is one of the best 4L I've ever seen.

Thank you! You are very kind. Your work portfolio is great. Maybe we will do a project together in the future )

•••
Thank you! You are very kind. Your work portfolio is great. Maybe we will do a project together in the future )

Sure, hit me up whenever you want to discuss some idea (y)

•••
Matias, I too am new to domaining and from England but I've already sussed out Flippa. At the moment it is a great place to pick up some excellent domains for a tiny fraction of their end user worth. Certainly not worth paying a $10 listing fee for, let alone 10% of the final sale price on top of that.

In your position I would pull any out that I still could and study other, non-auction, ways to sell. It is a buyers' market just now and the auctions clearly show that. Unless you have some great names, and yours may be good but they're not great, most appear to be hardly covering their sales costs at the moment. I've bought a couple of very good names for $1 each, which reflects a significant loss to the sellers.

At least make sure you have a minimum bid price listed.

•••
Matias, I too am new to domaining and from England but I've already sussed out Flippa. At the moment it is a great place to pick up some excellent domains for a tiny fraction of their end user worth. Certainly not worth paying a $10 listing fee for, let alone 10% of the final sale price on top of that.

In your position I would pull any out that I still could and study other, non-auction, ways to sell. It is a buyers' market just now and the auctions clearly show that. Unless you have some great names, and yours may be good but they're not great, most appear to be hardly covering their sales costs at the moment. I've bought a couple of very good names for $1 each, which reflects a significant loss to the sellers.

At least make sure you have a minimum bid price listed.

You are right, @chateaudns, Flippa is really terrible from a seller's point of view. I'll sure be using it for buying domains at cheap prices though.

It's too bad there's not a single marketplace left in which you can quickly auction a domain and get a decent price, not an end-user price but at least something in between.

From my research, Flippa was like that until 2016 or so. You could quickly flip domains at not too-low prices.

I know you can sell domains today by posting and waiting on places like Sedo Afternic and Dan. And I'm going to do that. But there should be a place where you could sell quickly even if you get half of what you would get on Sedo/Afternic.

Flippa is not half is a tenth in the best of cases lol.

•••
I'll make three observations to that, Matias.

1. We are in a buyers' market. Economies around the world are in recession. In a recession tradeable commodities fall in price, albeit temporarily.

2. The way we do business is in a state of flux. Even when we come out of recession and even if it doesn't, as I expect it will, turn into depression, things will be different to what they were just a short while ago. We cannot yet know what it will look like in, say, five or ten years time.

3. The domains market is maturing. Ten years ago it was very much a minority sport, with most of us in the industry complaining about those upstarts "squatting" or "warehousing" domains in order to profit from them. It is now a fully fledged business with new entrants joining in at quite a rate. The margins are still huge, better than in any other market, but they have fallen and we can expect them to continue to fall until they are at a similar level to currencies, stocks, commodities and all other traded markets.

•••
It is now a fully fledged business with new entrants joining in at quite a rate. The margins are still huge, better than in any other market, but they have fallen and we can expect them to continue to fall until they are at a similar level to currencies, stocks, commodities and all other traded markets.

Very interesting what you say about maturity and margins, @chateaudns. I hadn't seen it in perspective compared to other markets but it makes a lot of sense.

•••
Hello
Welcome to the domain world

•••
•••
•••
Hello Matias, from the USA!

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back