IT.COM

Marketplaces difference in prices

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Kasti

Established Member
Impact
How is it possible that there is so much difference in prices between marketplaces? For example I just found out that NameSilo is selling domains for much less than GoDaddy (and many others) and gives more services too... and for this reason I am kinda regretting to have bought my previous three domains from Godaddy.

Is this how things really are or is there something I am missing?

Thanks!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Check out Epik...8.49 for a dot com with FREE privacy.

•••
•••
Thanks for your tips!
Still I'd be curious to know the reason why GoDaddy and other marketplaces cost so much higher compared to these ones...

•••
Thanks for your tips!
Still I'd be curious to know the reason why GoDaddy and other marketplaces cost so much higher compared to these ones...
Because godaddy is well known and well used. They can get away with it and take it to the bank.
I love Epik & NameSilo. My 2 favorites. Low cost and they have great customer service.

•••
@Kasti - I would recommend thinking about how you want to operate as a domain name investor. I register all of my domain names at GoDaddy (except for the names I buy through NP or some other marketplace that are already registered elsewhere). But do I pay $14.99 for a .com? No. I first started using GoDaddy coupon codes which reduced the price by 30% to $9.98. But then when I was going to "buy" the $5 GoDaddy auctions membership, I saw the GoDaddy Discount Domain Club link and read through that. There was a discount offer at that time for GDDC and so I chose to join the club. As a GDDC member, all .com registrations are presently $8.29 per year, even renewals. Now it's $9.99 per month for GDDC, so you'd have to judge how many domains you want to invest in/renew per month to see if this is worth it for you.

Why do I choose to work with GoDaddy? There are many posts here on NP that bash their practices and fees. But in the end, I choose to stay with them because I am marketing to end users, and most end users only know GoDaddy, not NameSilo or others. Not that the others aren't great companies ... but they are not known by most business owners not in the domain name business. If I was investing only in liquid names to re-sell to other domainers, then I most likely would not be at GoDaddy.

•••
@Kasti - I would recommend thinking about how you want to operate as a domain name investor. I register all of my domain names at GoDaddy (except for the names I buy through NP or some other marketplace that are already registered elsewhere). But do I pay $14.99 for a .com? No. I first started using GoDaddy coupon codes which reduced the price by 30% to $9.98. But then when I was going to "buy" the $5 GoDaddy auctions membership, I saw the GoDaddy Discount Domain Club link and read through that. There was a discount offer at that time for GDDC and so I chose to join the club. As a GDDC member, all .com registrations are presently $8.29 per year, even renewals. Now it's $9.99 per month for GDDC, so you'd have to judge how many domains you want to invest in/renew per month to see if this is worth it for you.

Why do I choose to work with GoDaddy? There are many posts here on NP that bash their practices and fees. But in the end, I choose to stay with them because I am marketing to end users, and most end users only know GoDaddy, not NameSilo or others. Not that the others aren't great companies ... but they are not known by most business owners not in the domain name business. If I was investing only in liquid names to re-sell to other domainers, then I most likely would not be at GoDaddy.
That’s really interesting!
But is GD offering any services in those $8.29 per year? Wouldn’t that security thing be necessary to show your domain’s content?

I’d like to build websites on domains to get money from ads, however doing so would not make it clear that I am selling that domain, even if I wrote it somewhere. Which of these two strategies is generally more rewarding?

•••
Okay @Kasti - this is a decision up to you as far as just buying and selling domain names or developing websites to sell (to add value to the name). Some here on NP do both - some only develop websites, but I think most here are only buying/selling the domain names.

I've been doing both, but most websites take a lot of work to develop - that's lots of hours spent designing the site, developing content, then selling the website, transferring to the buyer, etc., etc., etc. Some of the sites I have developed and sold:
www.newblogtips.com
www.safejungle.com
www.dogshopnow.com
www.onmyvacation.com
www.myvacationsclub.com
and probably a dozen others.

Not all are still active ... most sold in the hundreds of dollars from starting with a $9 new domain name registration plus cPanel web hosting ... but each one was a lot of work to get set up.

I only have one website now in development that I work on every now and then: www.imagewit.com - its a royalty-free photo site - saw the domain on the expired list, registered both the .com and .net, and am slowly building this one to increase its value over a few years instead of a few months like those others.

If you don't develop websites, then the challenge is in registering domain names that you think will gain in value ... of finding names from the drop lists and/or marketplaces that you think are worth more than what you end up registering them for. This also take a lot of work (and experience) in identifying new markets and understanding value, of which there are many many posts here on NP.

Good luck!

•••
Just in case not aware, point out that TLD-list and DomComp offer easy to use tools showing you which is the least expensive place to register, transfer or renew at. Also, if you search for a specific TLD on NameStat they show (right hand column) a similar list for that TLD that includes a few options not in TLD-list. It is easy to be price savvy between registrars, and that helps keep costs down. Of course, when the difference is marginal, you have to decide if other factors or convenience make it worthwhile to stay put.

Bob

•••
@Kpett Thank you very very much! That's a lot of info!

Just one last thing if you don't mind: Do those who just buy and sell domain names insert a banner saying domain is in sale or use other services like Efty? Having a web hosting is necessary for both things?

@Bob Hawkes Thank you! Those links will be very useful to a noob like me :D !

Last edited:
•••
there is a difference between a marketplace and a domain registrar.

registrars, like godiddy, namesilo, dynadot, namecheap, enom(namejet), etc also have a "marketplace" where buyers and sellers can trade domains.

but not all registrars have marketplaces and not all marketplaces are part of a registrar.

imo...

•••
@Kasti - there are thousands of posts on NP about how best to market your domain names - just use the search with keywords and start reading! No - you do not have to have web hosting to sell domain names. Look at Undeveloped or Efty for examples. But there are many here on NP that set up web hosting on a domain name they want to use to run their business ... to buy and sell domain names. Look at this one for an example:
www.domainds.com

Should give you an idea ...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back