Dynadot

news Man purchased ClintonKaine.com domain name for $8 in 2011; he wants $90,000 to sell it

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

deez007

The More I Learn The Less I "Know"Top Member
Impact
(CNN) – Tucked away in a basement apartment in northeast Washington, a 28-year old federal contractor and lawyer, who creates web comics as hobby, hopes he’s sitting on a fortune.

He goes by the pen name “Jeremy Pegg” and as first reported by “DCIST”, he bought the domain name “clintonkaine.com” in 2011 for just eight dollars. So how did he predict this ticket five years ago?

Pegg explained, “Obama was looking at Kaine before he picked Biden and I don’t know, I felt like he was very likely going to be a running mate.”

Covering his bases, he also bought the “Clinton Biden” and “Clinton Booker” domain names and last year, he sold “cruz2016.com” and “bidenwarren.com” for $1,500 dollars each, but this might be his biggest real estate.

Since Clinton picked Kaine as her running mate, Pegg says he’s been getting huge web traffic and multiple interview requests.

Until he sells clintonkaine.com, he’s sharing his homemade comics on the webpage, depicting the democratic duo in a Harry Potter narrative.

Pegg said, “I’m pretty sure Clinton will win this election so the domain will keep being valuable for at least 4 years.”

He describes himself as very political, progressive, and who likes Sanders. Pegg goes on to say, “I have people suggesting I put links to the hacked DNC emails up there.”

He now supports Clinton, but does say he’s open to selling the domain name to Sanders, or even Trump supporters, whoever makes the best offer.

Pegg concludes with, “I don’t actually want to hurt the Clinton campaign, but I do want to sell the domain so we’ll see.”

Source: http://wwlp.com/2016/07/26/man-purchased-clintonkaine-domain-name-for-eight-dollars-in-2011/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Lol.. I have a feeling that Trump folks are gonna get bombarded with similar domains offers.

•••
•••
•••
I would actually not dare to call trump a "squatter"
- who knows - he may win the election-
and I heard he has said :
"if we own nuclaer weapons, why don't we use them? "

He actually has a good chance of winning.... as shocking and scary as that may be ...it could be a reality.

•••
He actually has a good chance of winning.... as shocking and scary as that may be ...it could be a reality.

well if that happens
maybe I become religious in the end...

•••
•••
Hhahaha If that happens...I think all of us would end up being religious ....

I just regged ImHoly.com .. just in case ...

•••
•••
•••
That's correct, I sold it for $15,000.

I managed to find a connection of mine (actually one of my clients for my solo legal practice) who was close friends with the Clinton campaign's digital director, and she arranged a phone conversation between us. It turned out that this was not something the campaign, or at least the digital department of the campaign, was interested in spending much money on. Supposedly they didn't have a "discretionary budget" for things like this. She offered me $2000. I said the lowest I would go was $15,000 and she said they definitely couldn't do that. She thanked me for going to the campaign about the domain first and then we said goodbye.

So I handed it off to a Flippa broker (meaning I would pay a 12% "success fee" rather than the default 10% fee on Flippa) who said he was talking to an interested party already and I gave him a minimum that I would accept ($14,000) and he ended up selling it to somebody.

I'm pretty happy about this. The $90,000 figure was always a deliberate highball that I was using to see if I could get more than the domain was worth, and to help me get more press attention. Before Clinton made her VP choice, I had estimated that I would get somewhere between $10,000 and $20,000 if I hit the "jackpot" with one of my domains, so this is about right. And on top of that, I also got massive publicity for my webcomic and for my own personal brand as a DC-based lawyer, writer, and artist.

Curios, does @CoalToNewCastle regret selling the domain now?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back