Dynadot

humor Man behind the (.mobi) curtain revealed!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Gregr

Perfectname.comEstablished Member
Impact
Man behind the curtain revealed!

pinky.gif

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Gregr said:
Like with all mass produced technology gadgets, iphones and future iphone knockoffs will drop drastically in price in a short amount of time.
I agree, I just don't think they will be developed, tweaked, and sold mass marketedly at reasonable prices ($100-$200) for 'at least' 3 years or so. Phone makers don't recoup their R&D costs, and profits, continually like a provider does. They get it at sale time. So, 'wonder phones' are not the immediate answer either.

•••
Gregr said:
Like with all mass produced technology gadgets, iphones and future iphone knockoffs will drop drastically in price in a short amount of time.

true, but look at apple and the ipod and pcs ... they never come off their prices very much, they want to remain the 'top' choice in their marketplace.

•••
hawkeye said:
You just responded to the first half of my post. If you read the second half you may be incorrect in that posting.

•••
bfluid said:
You just responded to the first half of my post. If you read the second half ....
I did.

•••
hawkeye said:
I guess the iphone won't be family friendly for a couple of years if ones that can afford it, say uhh.. nah. Oh oh, another quandry.
It'll be family friendly... they can afford it... I don't know if those guys who will be losing all their money from investing into .mobi's will be able to afford them though *wink*

hawkeye said:
Then that response doesn't make sense.

I am now leaving this thread since people cannot make sensible replies. This is not solely because of you hawkeye.

•••
Great...now we are on phones. I've been looking at them myself.

I am NOT opposed to the iPhone, but I am opposed to ALL THE HYPE before the launch, the commercials, what it says it can do, but what tech heads are saying about it.

That is why I check numerous reliable sources.

If it's gotta be an iPhone, it's gotta be an iPhone. Simple as that. Just like PS3 last Christmas...no substitutes.

But I am amazed at how the cost keeps going up on these things and the little surprise announcements coming out just before launch.

There are some incredible alternatives out there and reasonable in price and rich in features.

Here are some other interesting articles and links:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4321-6454_7-6561665.html?tag=bubbl_1
Best and worst cell carriers.

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9729116-1.html?tag=cnetfd.mt
The iPhone requires an iTunes Store account
Surprise, surprise! Before you can activate the iPhone, guess what is required? Of course, this came out in a press release today from Apple.

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9729600-1.html?tag=recentPosts
Sony Ericsson answers Apple

http://www.cnet.com/2001-13387_1-0.html?tag=cnetfd.lwt
http://reviews.cnet.com/4326-13387_7-6574764.html?tag=inside
Photo gallery: Today's latest and greatest smart phones

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9677208-1.html
Thirteen reasons to doubt the iPhone hype

http://www.cnet.com/4520-13387_1-6738003-1.html?tag=inside
Asia hints at mobile tech's future
"If you want a glimpse of what you'll be doing with your cell phone in two or three years, you don't need a time machine. You simply need to travel to Japan or South Korea."

•••
Mark said:
One Person wont be posting in this thread again for a while for 1)Cussing 2)Calling Fellow members names

Oh great, now who's going to carry the 1&1 hater banner???

•••
bfluid said:
I am now leaving this thread since people cannot make sensible replies.

Welcome to a Namepros mobi discussion.

I left the whole mobi area because I was tired of the brow beating you got for having a disagreeing opinion on mobi. It gets tiresome being personally attacked every time you voice an opinion about mobi or mtld that others don't like. Rarely do I see mobi being challenged where the actual question is answered but instead it gets brought down into the mud as this thread has.

It's my view that if you challenge someone to a debate on a topic you debate the topic not the person. It's a weak opponent that doesn't have the ability to actually debate or discuss it with civility. I also think that mobi enthusiasts are just very frightened of what's ahead. There are those that have placed thousands into the extension and if it doesn't take off...they will lose a great deal of money. Oh some here will deny that but it's obvious some here invested into mobi more than they should. They went reg crazy.

What they are really scared of though is renewal time. At that point they have a vital decision...double up or take the loss. If all the naysayers are right they have to write the mobi off. However for those with strong stomachs...they might just renew. Some names are obviously worth renewal...I won't disagree that there is value in mobi. Everything has a value point. Yet I believe after about 45 days 95% of the registrations were pretty much crap. And that's a few hundred thousand domains! Someone is gonna have to pay that bill.

•••
labrocca said:

I left the whole mobi area because I was tired of the brow beating you got for having a disagreeing opinion on mobi. It gets tiresome being personally attacked every time you voice an opinion about mobi or mtld that others don't like. Rarely do I see mobi being challenged where the actual question is answered but instead it gets brought down into the mud as this thread has.

It's my view that if you challenge someone to a debate on a topic you debate the topic not the person. It's a weak opponent that doesn't have the ability to actually debate or discuss it with civility. I also think that mobi enthusiasts are just very frightened of what's ahead. There are those that have placed thousands into the extension and if it doesn't take off...they will lose a great deal of money. Oh some here will deny that but it's obvious some here invested into mobi more than they should. They went reg crazy.

What they are really scared of though is renewal time. At that point they have a vital decision...double up or take the loss. If all the naysayers are right they have to write the mobi off. However for those with strong stomachs...they might just renew. Some names are obviously worth renewal...I won't disagree that there is value in mobi. Everything has a value point. Yet I believe after about 45 days 95% of the registrations were pretty much crap. And that's a few hundred thousand domains! Someone is gonna have to pay that bill.

I agree that a ton of mobi registrations were crap and should be dropped when the time comes. Same goes for hundreds of thousands of .com names that were regged by newbies and other people this year also though. I will definitely be renewing my mobi names every year for the next 5-10 years or however long. It takes speculation and risk to make the big money and I am speculating a little in .mobi and a little in stocks and in many other things as well. If you only bet on sure things you cant make it big, and my definition of big is BIG.

Now about the iPhone. The iPhone will be great for when you want to view a full .com site on your phone, but what if you dont feel like viewing the whole thing? On any phone, including the iPhone, the screen cant fit the entire .com site, you will still have to zoom and move your finger around. Sometimes someone might be on their phone and want to go to godaddy to do all the advanced stuff and play around on the full blown .com from their site and sometimes someone might just want to quickly reg a name in 2 seconds so they will go to the .mobi site. Both .com and .mobi can be very successful on any phone with any browser.

•••
labrocca said:

labrocca, not everyone that retorts here from the mobi side so to speak, is a 'mobi fanatic/lover/adorer or whatever they're accused of. Some just do not agree that the heavy handed disputing of mobi is 'gospel' to it's drawbacks. What I really find off key, is the ones that regged mobis and still have them!!, whether it's one or a hundred, and just out right criticize others for regging or believing in the extension. Uhh, 'glass house' etc.!?!

I guess 'born again .mobier' means - but I'll keep these 'just in case'.

•••
labrocca said:

I don't disagree with you.. But isn't that the same with pretty much every extension? .com for example is #1 so the chance of being a bad registeration is less than for example .mobi.. Because .com is more broad and less speific unlike .mobi..

I really do appreciate your willingness to simplely leave a forum alone that you feel you are "biased" in.. I just wish others could follow in your foot steps.. And we would be solve.. I close both types of threads.. .Mobi fanatic threads and .Mobi Basher threads.. But from an unbiased opnion I see a lot more .Mobi Bashers than for example .Mobi Fanatics.. However Mark sees totally the other way.. So togeather I guess we can keep the forum clean.. "I say Mark because I don't know what happened to IAmAllanShore lol and Mark does most anyways."

- Steve

•••
bah...deleted because I don't have time to get back into this stupid discussion on mobi...

live and let live...

enjoy your domains mobiers.

Last edited:
•••
My has this thread died down.. 3 people are now reading it.

- Steve

•••
iNod said:
My has this thread died down.. 3 people are now reading it.

- Steve

Now just us 2. :)

•••
i think GregR is really Pinky Brand...

•••
Inod, why havent you responded to any of my pm's?

•••
HasRob said:
Inod, why havent you responded to any of my pm's?
pm.. Not pm's.. You sent a single PM.. Which was my fault because I thought soembody else sent both of them "didn't read your name closely enough" I just responded.

lol.. Gregr = Pinky Brand.. That would be funny.

- Steve

•••
Actually Inod, I sent you a pm the other day and one today. Neither one of which you replied to. This equals pm's.

Edit: Thanks for your reply Inod, mucho appreciated!

•••
.MOBI Forum™

labrocca said:
bfluid said:

Agree fully ... and it's really ashame that the .MOBI Fanatics™ resort to these types of tactics and subterfuge, in an attempt to mask the inherent flaws and obvious shortcomings of the extension IMHO. :|

iNod said:
I really do appreciate your willingness to simplely leave a forum alone .. I just wish others could follow in your foot steps..

I have a few follow-up posts to make, .MOBI Marketplace™, etc. but I will shortly be following in Jesse's (and others (nearly all experienced and respected Senior™ members, by the way) footsteps ... as I've stated earlier here, in my years of public forum postings and participation I have NEVER seen this level of personal assault and paranoia against those that professionally and humbly offer their constructive thoughts / opinions / questions for the .MOBI extension! :yell:

The most unfortunate thing, I guess, is that maybe 3 - 4+/- most hard-core .MOBI Loyalists© have created an air of hostility ... and, in the process, removed nearly all civility and professionalism from those .MOBI Forum discussions! :'(

Take care, friends!
-Jeff B-)

•••
Jeff said:
labrocca said:
bfluid said:

Agree fully ... and it's really ashame that the .MOBI Fanatics™ resort to these types of tactics and subterfuge, in an attempt to mask the inherent flaws and obvious shortcomings of the extension IMHO. :|

iNod said:
I really do appreciate your willingness to simplely leave a forum alone .. I just wish others could follow in your foot steps..

I have a few follow-up posts to make, .MOBI Marketplace™, etc. but I will shortly be following in Jesse's (and others (nearly all experienced and respected Senior™ members, by the way) footsteps ... as I've stated earlier here, in my years of public forum postings and participation I have NEVER seen this level of personal assault and paranoia against those that professionally and humbly offer their constructive thoughts / opinions / questions for the .MOBI extension! :yell:

The most unfortunate thing, I guess, is that maybe 3 - 4+/- most hard-core .MOBI Loyalists© have created an air of hostility ... and, in the process, removed nearly all civility and professionalism from those .MOBI Forum discussions! :'(

Take care, friends!
-Jeff B-)
Herein lies the problem Jeff, you come to the mobi subforum predisposed with the assumption that .mobi is inherently flawed with obvious shortcomings but to believe otherwise results in being labeled a fanatic.

And to draw attention to your assumptions and predispositions results in being accused of being hostile, uncivil, unprofessional and paranoid.

•••
professionalism is not my style... especially fake professionalism.

countering extreme hype with the COMPLETE opposite is not professionalism... its buying into the hype.

Last edited:
•••
My view....

.mobi is only known amongst domainers and the average Joe doesnt have a clue about it!
It seems only people on namepros avidly talk about .mobi. I dont even own one .mobi name and this reflects my belief it will not succeed. And i agree, the constant barrage of threads entitled "Company X goes .Mobi" is getting tiresome. If we did the same with .com and even .tv, the list would be never ending!

I haven't seen/heard of a .mobi advertised anywhere - this is the key to getting it out to the public and it succeeding in my opinion. .tv, at least in Scotland, is used all the time...sometimes more popular on tv adverts than .co.uk!

Just my two cents!

•••
kev said:
My view....

.mobi is only known amongst domainers and the average Joe doesnt have a clue about it!

I haven't seen/heard of a .mobi advertised anywhere - this is the key to getting it out to the public and it succeeding in my opinion.

Actually, recently one of the largest banks in the US if not the largest launched their .mobi and their users were all shown a nice advertisement about the banks bofa.mobi site when they logged into their accounts. That is pretty significant.

What is really happening is that there are a lot of people who believe in this thing called .mobi and they are happy to have a place to discuss it. Most of the members who don't see .mobi in the same light stay out of the .mobi forum or at least don't post there. However there are a few that come in from time to time (and some constantly) and seem to want to bring up the same reasons over and over again for why they think .mobi will fail. Granted those points were good to know the first few times they were brought up but they continually get brought up and forced into threads that have a totally different topic. :td:

I'm sure people in the .us or .tv subsections would get tired of it if people kept coming into their threads just to tell them how the extension they have obviously invested in is worthless.

Now as I understand the .us has slowed down a lot recently and has even lost ground, see this thread:

http://www.namepros.com/dot-us/338548-lll-us-going-down.html

It coincides with the release of .mobi coincidentally. A lot of the bashing on .mobi could be from domainers concerned that the money pouring into .mobis is hurting the value of other extensions currently. Maybe they feel like they need to put out the .mobi fire.

•••
neobodhi said:
It coincides with the release of .mobi coincidentally. A lot of the bashing on .mobi could be from domainers concerned that the money pouring into .mobis is hurting the value of other extensions currently. Maybe they feel like they need to put out the .mobi fire.

so true! it personally thrills me
:D

•••
A "few" people havent been able to sell their .us's - And its due to .mobi ?

Give me a break -

There is always going to be a few LLL's that were bought for speculation in most any extension that will Drop in price occasionally. Has nothing to do with .mobi at all ....
Has to do with certain letter combos just arent in demand.

They should stop looking at "Price Guides" also .....

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back