Domain Empire

humor Man behind the (.mobi) curtain revealed!

NameSilo
Watch

Gregr

Perfectname.comEstablished Member
Impact
Man behind the curtain revealed!

pinky.gif

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sam said:
Does it look like I care about how many PRweb there are? Most of your new "stories" are paid advertisements.

Tell me when you see a .mobi on tv.

Yes, an actual advertisement / promotion might add credibility to the extension, IMHO. Thus far, however, I see very VERY FEW developed .MOBI websites providing unique and compelling content thus adding to the "ecosystem" ... and instead see these "news" posts in the .MOBI Forum™ of cheap (for the cost of measly Reg. fee) corporate type .MOBI ™ domains pointing to their respective mobile.domain.com sites! It's absolutely pathetic that some would consider, much less publicly call this newsworthy, in my view! :yell:

bfluid said:
I personally have seen nothing but .mobi enthusiasts dog out those who are trying to help you guys see the other side of the coin in the .mobi section.

Exactly.
Perhaps a half dozen zealots (now minus the most foul-mouthed and most disoriented of them all (thank you, Staff™ )) gang up and systematically assault those who even suggest that .MOBI might not be the next coming of the .COM ... in my entire history of fourm postings and particiaption, I've never quite seen this type of hostility and misguided judgement, IMHO. :guilty:

HasRob said:
What is being adopted around the world right now (china-japan-U.S.A etc) are millions of cellphones with browsers capable of viewing dot com websites without .mobi, without mobile.whatever.com, without wwwwhatever.com/mobile, simply dot com.

This is what I had wanted to discuss earlier, what chances does .mobi have really knowing this? Knowing this extension is really not needed, knowing for major companies to start a whole new marketing campaign for just .mobi would be a waste of time and money given the above facts.

If I owned google or ebay or whatever, .mobi imho isnt worth a single penny knowing millions of people around the world are viewing my website just fine with these mobile "advanced rendering technology" browsers. But thats just me!

That's it ... technology, as I *warned* early on and REPEATEDLY (to which even caused my character to be questioned by the fanatics!) was the .MOBI's biggest challenge ... specifically, getting ahead of it (or, at least, keeping up with it) in a CRITICAL race against time! Device detection, browsers advances, increasing development (far outpacing those of .MOBI websites, by the way) of "M Dots", mobile-compliant .COM pages, etc. were always - at least in my view - what would eventually confirm the the .MOBI as unnecessary! :imho:

PS. On topic, where is Mr. Pinky? What happened to .MOBI?!? :o

Just my two sense.
-Jeff B-)

•••
Wow...this is one very interesting or should I say entertaining thread I have ever read.

•••
Hawkeye, I am on my cellphone right now browsing .com websites. Not mobilewhatever.com or whatever.com/mobile but .com

Please tell me what the value of any .mobi domain is knowing this technology exist and is being downloaded on just about every new cellphone thats out today?

The dot com's look like dot coms, the dot nets look like .nets, the dot info's look like dot info's. Every see Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory? The cellphone manufactures have the golden ticket. The safaris, deepfish, opera browsers etc.

•••
uhh..ok..?? ..and I care why??

•••
hawkeye said:
uhh..ok..?? ..and I care why??
Because it's your investment.

•••
•••
bfluid said:
Because it's your investment.

Why do people care so much about someone elses investment? Sure are a lot of good samaritans here trying to save those crazy .mobi investors from themselves.

Or maybe, just maybe, people who have large .com portfolios are a bit concerned that this little extension that no one thought was necessary just might have a bright future ahead of it and thereby reduce the value of their .com holdings.

.mobi seems to be the only extension to bring out these sorts of emotions in people here. It is kind of funny to watch the .com guys squirm at this new extension and try to throw water on it anyway they can.

But alas, .mobi is here to stay and Bank of America is advertising it to all of their online customers, so you better tell bofa to quit with this .mobi thing or before you know it everyone will be doing it ;)

•••
neobodhi said:
Why do people care so much about someone elses investment? Sure are a lot of good samaritans here trying to save those crazy .mobi investors from themselves.

As said several times throughout this thread. To help the newcomers stay away from bad investments and help the more experienced see the BAD AND THE GOOD.

Or maybe, just maybe, people who have large .com portfolios are a bit concerned that this little extension that no one thought was necessary just might have a bright future ahead of it and thereby reduce the value of their .com holdings.

.mobi... reduce .com value? :D LOL... the day that the pigs come flying home!

That is not even close to the case.

.mobi seems to be the only extension to bring out these sorts of emotions in people here. It is kind of funny to watch the .com guys squirm at this new extension and try to throw water on it anyway they can.

Maybe because it's the only .tld that hasn't been around the WHOLE block yet?

But alas, .mobi is here to stay and Bank of America is advertising it to all of their online customers, so you better tell bofa to quit with this .mobi thing or before you know it everyone will be doing it ;)

W00000000T!!! A company promoted a .mobi on their OWN SITE!

I see 6 .com sites being promoted on my screen right now on someone elses site. ;)

Ty Maier

•••
bfluid said:
As said several times throughout this thread. To help the newcomers stay away from bad investments and help the more experienced see the BAD AND THE GOOD.
The experience you bring should help newcommers immensely - (Join Date: Apr 2007)

•••
bfluid said:
help the more experienced see the BAD AND THE GOOD.

Who to say that you are right and others are wrong? Maybe they are on to something and you just can't grasp it. :lala:

•••
My daughter just came to me and said, get me an iphone. I would have posted this in the iphone thread in the mobi section but all my posts there get deleted. :)

•••
Gregr said:
My daughter just came to me and said, get me an iphone. I would have posted this in the iphone thread in the mobi section but all my posts there get deleted. :)
At $499-$599 ea., wonder how many parents will cave to that request in the next 2 years?

•••
Well congrats, I have decided to not speak on this topic anymore.

Why?

Because after really looking around at all the threads like this one, looking at the marketplace which shows the entire front page of mobi's for sale (some nice names too) not selling, the iphone coming out in 2 weeks, nokia (mobi backer?) promoting .com on all their new cellphones/pda's/internet tables, deepfish, safari, opera etc everywhere .mobi should be but is not, the facts speak for themselves.

I only posted topics on all this because as a .mobi investor myself (not a huge investor by any means) to share and hopefully discuss the impacts. Not too bust balls, bash .mobi or anything close to that. But to share what information I found and believed to have an impact on everyones investments. As a member here everyone is a brother/sister fellow domainer in my eyes.

So for those who want to hate me or question why I brought these things up this is why I did it. And as you can see, many agree with me.

Best of luck to the mobi lovers, I'll just be sitting here eating my popcorn from now on.

•••
Gregr said:

and? :zzz:

•••
Maybe. I am not the master of all things :).

•••
you guys got a long way to go till 16 pages..

•••
hawkeye said:
The experience you bring should help newcommers immensely - (Join Date: Apr 2007)

I have been a member here since then. But if you had thought your statement out all the way... you would have realised that I could have been in domaining for about 2 years... which I have. I know a GOOD BIT more than your average newcomer.

•••
bfluid said:
I have been a member here since then. But if you had thought your statement out all the way...
I did.

•••
hawkeye said:
At $499-$599 ea., wonder how many parents will cave to that request in the next 2 years?
Not to mention the 2 year commitment for nearly $2000 PLUS Apple announcing today that in order to activate the iPhone YOU MUST SUBSCIBE TO iTUNES???

Where's the hype?

•••
hawkeye said:

BonkersTwo also joined NP in Aprile 07, but he surely has no experience in domaining, judging the way you do.

•••
alexsimon said:
BonkersTwo also joined NP in Aprile 07, but he surely has no experience in domaining, judging the way you do.
I wasn't the one boasting 'wanting to help the newcomers'. BonkersTwo wouldn't be needing to educate newcomers. Lame come back.

•••
hawkeye said:

She goes through 2 phones a year, losing, flushing, smashing and whatnot. Right now she's phoneless. I told her I'd get the iphone and she can have my phone. :)

•••
Gregr said:
She goes through 2 phones a year, losing, flushing, smashing and whatnot. Right now she's phoneless. I told her I'd get the iphone and she can have my phone. :)
I guess the iphone won't be family friendly for a couple of years if ones that can afford it, say uhh.. nah. Oh oh, another quandry.

•••
But you have to admit that you cannot judge a person by their joining date. It is not a quality criteria.
And what do you mean by "lame come back" dear?

hawkeye said:
I wasn't the one boasting 'wanting to help the newcomers'. BonkersTwo wouldn't be needing to educate newcomers. Lame come back.

Last edited:
•••
Like with all mass produced technology gadgets, iphones and future iphone knockoffs will drop drastically in price in a short amount of time.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back