domains Make Sure You Know What You Are Agreeing To – The First 30 Days Matter

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
Most domain investors don't know what they are agreeing to when they create an account with a domain registrar. They just click a box agreeing to the terms of service. With some registrars you are agreeing just by logging in. Now to be fair you don't have a choice, you can't register a domain name and not agree to the TOS. The fact of the matter is that you should at least read the terms and conditions … [Read more...]

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You don't have to read the terms of service. Every restaurant reserves the right to refuse service. Just because you could doesn't mean you should. It's still going to give you a bad name.

•••
You don't have to read the terms of service. Every restaurant reserves the right to refuse service. Just because you could doesn't mean you should. It's still going to give you a bad name.

Right and with a one off on a new gtld they should let the registrant keep, some have done that. When it's a big mistake like with the one mentioned in the article that's different.

•••
This have happened to me with eNom several days ago. I lost my domain because of it.
It was hand reged domain so I can get over it, but what really pissed me off is that they suspended my account, deleted my domain and didn't even bother to inform me about that.

I never suspected anything because I received their emails about successful purchase and was able to log in into my account and manage my domain...

I complained, since my purchase was in line with their conditions ($0.98 promo for one domain and new accounts only) and they recovered my account, but the damage was already made.

•••
Sigh .. this happened to me last year with some ultra premium .news domains at GoDaddy. I hand registered about 20 sweet domains like music.news, world.news, fashion.news, app.news, insurance.news, dating.news, mortgage.news, world.news, sports.news, tech.news etc etc .. I checked for registry info to make sure it wasn't some kind of error, I paid for them and got the confirmation emails and everything and was dancing with joy thinking that it was just nobody paid attention to the .news extention .. but eventually I got the dreaded cancellation notice. Then a bit later those domains completely disappeared, and at some point down the road reappeared as "platinum" domains.

What really upset me was that GoDaddy didn't even try to do anything for me. You'd think at least an apology .. they have so much volume and clout with those tld owners that they could have tried to fight for me to keep at least one of the domains as goodwill (even the lowly montreal.news, as that's where I live).

You can argue terms all you want, but when you spend hours and hours researching availability and buy something at advertised prices. Complete the transaction and effectively paid for and "possess" an asset, at that point I'd think most laws would have difficulties accepting an "after the fact" cancellation, if it wasn't a digital product it would never be a thought (there are many laws to that effect that supersede any "terms". What's worse is that I had a development partnership agreement on a few of them with a potential partner, and obviously it was a ton of lost time.

Just thinking about it again gets me upset! :(

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back